Hooked on fixie!- Mtbr.com
    King Pin

Smile Hooked on fixie!

Some fun times I've had this past week after discovering fixed gear riding....

Every time I throw a leg over the new Surly, I expect an adventure...and have yet to be let down! Offroad bits are becoming more technical as the days go by, and my fitness level is surging. The Isometric attributes to be had by RESISTING the pedals can be difficult, yet are showing positive benefits.

Lot's to be learned, and I'm ready! I'm lovin' it....just thought I'd share.

STILL waiting for that first big pedal strike. Several periods of "stand and sprint" followed by "let's coast for a moment" have been thrilling....to say the least. Nothing like the rear end kickin' back up and yelling at ya to get the old blood flowin'!!??

mtbr member

on the flip side......

As I wait for a Boone fixed cog to arrive and grace the disc mounts on my new hub, I had to ride with a freewheel for the first time in awhile last weekend. Possibly a good thing by some measures, given that I was at supremely rocky Gambrill St. Park! Nevertheless, freewheels suck!!!! They make it too easy ;-) Having adapted to fixed, everytime I dropped my guard and stopped pedaling there was this moment of small PANIC! then subconscious bewilderment as my cranks rotated smoothly backward and the higher centers of my brain remembered that this was ok. Then I kept catching myself pedaling steadily through rock gardens and rooty sections and skipping my rear wheel to clear the pedals over obstacles! Consciously coasting felt like cheating! But by far the most disconcerting element was the slow take up of the free wheel. Nothing beats the smooth instantaneous transfer of power of a fixie!
    Last edited by ShivaSteve; 06-18-2004 at 04:39 PM. Reason: misleading and egregious grammatical errors!

there is no spoon

freaked by coasting

Oh my! I am totally with you. You had me laughing cause I know what you mean, cus.

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaSteve
    As I wait for a Boone fixed cog to arrive and grace the disc mounts on my new hub, I had to ride with a freewheel for the first time last weekend. Possibly a good thing by some measures, given that I was at supremely rocky Gambrill St. Park! Nevertheless, freewheels suck!!!! They make it too easy ;-) Having adapted to fixed, everytime I dropped my guard and stopped pedaling there was this moment of small PANIC! then subconscious bewilderment as my cranks rotated smoothly backward and the higher centers of my brain remembered that this was ok. Then I kept catching myself pedaling steadily through rock gardens and rooty sections and skipping my rear wheel to clear the pedals over obstacles! Consciously coasted felt like cheating! But by far the most disconcerting element was the slow take up of the free wheel. Nothing beats the smooth instantaneous transfer of power of a fixie!
    Don't worship the pain.