Hoo Koo E Koo Help the rookie.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hoo Koo E Koo Help the rookie.

Maybe you guys have been through this.

Recently picked up an old Fisher HKEK in nice shape and I'd love to go single on it. Here's the problems.

Vertical drops, but SS Convert tells me a 38x18 will be within file range of working.

BUT

There's this big dumb BMX brake on the chainstay. A ruler tells me that I might get several months of use as a single speed before the chain wears away the bolt holding this misplaced brake in place.

Has anyone done a conversion on this bike?

Is there hope? Of doing it without a tensioner?

Thanks.
    Ron

(was) Big in Japan

pics would really help

people here to diagnose and advise about the problem. Do you mean the bike has a U-brake mounted under the chainsaty? Must be a REALLY old frame. But it has been done, I think there is a pic in the SS part of the gallery. There was in the old gallery, for sure.

Chris
    Ride.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

possible help

that was a common problem with chainstay mounted brakes. apparently it's also an issue with bmx.
    www.danscomp.com has some kind of conversion bolt or something to reduce the thickness of the brake at the mount, and thus increase chain clearance. I don't know if it's for all U brakes, or just DiaCompes, or what, but it should think it would be worth a look see.
    did you say 38/18, I forget and already deleted your text. That's a pretty manly gear to be pedaling in the mountains.

Here's a thought: What about using a larger ring, and a larger cog? You can get a suitable gear ratio with a variety of sizes, and bigger ring/cog would increase your clearance at the brake. If you use a cassette hub and hunt down an old shitmano uniglide twisttooth cog (www.harriscyclery.com has them I believe, you could use something like a 42 ring and a complementary cog in a size larger than would be available if you go the threadon SS freewheel route.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Thanks, good things to check.

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    that was a common problem with chainstay mounted brakes. apparently it's also an issue with bmx.
    www.danscomp.com has some kind of conversion bolt or something to reduce the thickness of the brake at the mount, and thus increase chain clearance. I don't know if it's for all U brakes, or just DiaCompes, or what, but it should think it would be worth a look see.
    did you say 38/18, I forget and already deleted your text. That's a pretty manly gear to be pedaling in the mountains..
    I'll take a look at the U brake gadget - it isn't that far off that a fraction of an inch won't help a LOT.

As for the gear, I live in Tampa and there ain't a mountain to be seen. If I ride north 40 miles I can witness an elevation change of a couple hundred feet.

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Here's a thought: What about using a larger ring, and a larger cog? You can get a suitable gear ratio with a variety of sizes, and bigger ring/cog would increase your clearance at the brake. If you use a cassette hub and hunt down an old shitmano uniglide twisttooth cog (www.harriscyclery.com has them I believe, you could use something like a 42 ring and a complementary cog in a size larger than would be available if you go the threadon SS freewheel route.
    I've got the old thread-on FW hubs so that part's easy. Yeah a larger ring's helpful and a good answer. Was just hoping to hear from someone else who'd done one of these.

Thanks for the tips.

Ron