Honzo non-sliding drop outs - compatible chain tensioner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Honzo non-sliding drop outs - compatible chain tensioner?

I'm converting my '17 Honzo to SS, I have a 17t Surly cog with appropriate spacers installed, I'm keeping the stock 32t RaceFace NW chainring (might convert to oval later, but that sounds like a story for another thread...), and have an 8 speed chain ready to go, but when I went to install Surly's Singleator chain tensioner I found that due to the Honzo's screwy derailleur hanger, the Singleator is blocked from getting close enough to the chainstay to actually push the chain up as it is intended:

Honzo non-sliding drop outs - compatible chain tensioner?-singleator-push-up.jpg

Surly says I can install it in "push-down" mode, but that only leaves 7t of chainwrap:

Honzo non-sliding drop outs - compatible chain tensioner?-singleator-push-down.jpg

First question: Your thoughts - is 7t enough? I'm new to this SS thing, that doesn't seem like much to me. For what it's worth, I live in the prairies where no climb exceeds 150m vertical, and most are no more than 20m at a time, though some can be pretty steep for that short period.

I'm considering ordering a Shimano Alfine tensioner, but just looking before doing so to see if anyone has any experience with a chain tensioners on Honzos and can advise whether there is another tensioner they'd recommend instead?

As a coincidence, it seems that with the Honzo's 415mm chainstays, 32x17 happens to be a "magic gear," so for the short term I'm considering doing that, but the internet tells me not to count on it for long (subject to Barry Wicks seeming to have some success).

Appreciate whatever info youse have.

mtbr member
    The Surly will likely work Ok unless you have lots of drops on your ride but you'll also need to dial in tension the 18mm wrench, you still may hear occasional popping though. If that sucks I'd say get a KMC 610HX chain and magic gear should last quite awhile, still have not detected stretch on either of my ROS9s after about 2 years(and the EBB will def show stretch). Otherwise to get good chain wrap yeah the Alfine, Paul Melvin, or Rohloff are the next best options,
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    My first tensioner was installed in the push down position on an 18 tooth cog and gave me 8 engaged teeth. It skipped on steep climbs. I shortened my chain and installed it in the push up position for more wrap and it has never skipped since.

By the way, I do not use a sprung tensioner.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    FWIW I've not used a chain tensioner before so I don't know about which one is better than another.
    But 7 teeth of wrap doesn't sound like enough. From the pics it looks like you can take out a link or 2 on your chain. That should give you more wrap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonRyder View Post
    ... From the pics it looks like you can take out a link or 2 on your chain. That should give you more wrap.
    The problem is that the arm of the Singleator presses up against the mounting bracket of the derailleur hanger - it can't get any closer to the chainstay than it is, regardless of the length of chain.

Good to know though that others agree with me 7 teeth isn't enough.

Thanks,

James

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    If you can find one, look for a Soulcraft Convert. They're out of production, but they show up from time to time on Ebay and/or CL. They're not spring tensioned. They index into place and swing out of the way so you can drop your rear wheel out. Super simple, dead reliable.

I have one on each of my SSs and never worry about them.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Looks like you *might* have a shimano direct mount derailleur hanger (only reason I can think that it would position the derailleur so far back like that).

You may be able to get a replacement derailleur hanger for a standard mount derailleur that may allow you to use the Singleator in push up mode.

I will guarantee you that with 7 teeth of wrap you will skip that chain as soon as things get serious.