Homemade flip-flop mtn hub- Mtbr.com
    Category Winner

Homemade flip-flop fixed mtn hub

Parts:

Deore hub and 223 rim from Cambria
    Surly Fixer (it came off my original fixed gear wheel from my messenger bike)
    Endless bolt on cog (Marshall had sent me an early proto that I only have a few rides on)
    Lock ring and cog from a couple friends with extras

The chainline is almost perfect on both sides. The biggest pain was re-centering the wheel. I set it up with a 16/19 and a 34 ring. I will be running the 16 locally and trying the 19 in the mtns. i am riding the 16 today at work and it is running pretty smooth. It's pretty weird running around with brakes at work though. I have been wanting to have a wheel set up like this for awhile so I could just unbolt the rear brake and swap the wheels for a fixed experience. Up till now I was having to bolt the 16 to my spare wheel and then unbolt it when I needed the spare wheel up and running. I know "big deal", but I hate removing the stupid Torx bolts all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by teamdicky; 10-20-2005 at 05:03 AM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

(was) Big in Japan
    sweet setup!

I launched my fixie career on the weekend, and had my first off road fixie experience tonight. Was bucketfuls of fun!

I drilled holes in a cog myself for the ultimate in ghetto fixies - but it works!

Any advice for a novice fixie rider - both on and off road?
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nice set up! Now you'll be ready to ride fixed in next years ORAMM

What frame is that you're riding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Relax...

Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    I started riding fixed off-road this summer and the best advice that I heard was to 'relax'; yeah right! Anyway the learning curve was steep but short and I'm now riding most of my local trails fixed in the evenings. You begin to develop a real sense of awareness of where your pedals are the more that you ride. I'm still working on the skids/hops to set the pedals before logs and such but it's coming around. I started on the roads/bike paths for the first few weeks and then transitioned to golf courses after hours; what a blast. It won't take too long. I recently hopped on my 26" SS for a ride and I felt like my BB was loose... that's how bad my pedal stroke is without the aid of the fixed gear!

Have fun and start slow.
    l-dub

Category Winner

Advice

sweet setup!
    I launched my fixie career on the weekend, and had my first off road fixie experience tonight. Was bucketfuls of fun!
    I drilled holes in a cog myself for the ultimate in ghetto fixies - but it works!
    Leave the front brake on for MTB. I have tried it without, and while it is very exciting, it was really hard on my knees. It was an incredible workout.
    Just commit to log piles. You will quickly get used to being aware of where your pedals are. Otherwise it's just like riding a bike in the woods. I have heard that if you're going to do extended descents it is helpful to tilt the nose of your saddle up.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner

We'll see about that

Quote Originally Posted by l-dub1
    Nice set up! Now you'll be ready to ride fixed in next years ORAMM

What frame is that you're riding?
    I am not sure if I will go fixed or not. I realize if I do I will not be competitive and I have enjoyed being at the front of that race before. I have heard mutterings that the SS class has grown enough that next year it may not be a winner take all class. There may actually be a podium(1st, 2nd, 3rd kinda thing).

That would be my trusty Dean frame in the picture. I had thought about trying to do up a 29'er fixie, but the project was cost prohibitive.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Oh, shoot yeah man! If you're able to run with the big dogs there's no sense in clobbering yourself on the fixie. When you're in the back of the pack like me it's not really a problem to slow down a bit and try something new. That's cool that there may be a podium for the SS class. Of course you know that will tempt guys like Jeremy Conn / Glenn Popoure and the sort to bring out their SS's! That big descent before the end is going to cause me some pain... can't wait.

Category Winner

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by l-dub1
    That's cool that there may be a podium for the SS class. Of course you know that will tempt guys like Jeremy Conn / Glenn Popoure and the sort to bring out their SS's! That big descent before the end is going to cause me some pain... can't wait.
    I am not sure that the purse would be big enough to attract strong riders out of the open men's class.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    sweet setup!

Check my first fixed ride thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...71184#poststop

There's some good advice there.

mtbr member
    People were talking about brakes on fixies.....here's a quick write up I did this past weekend.

Fixed + Brake = Good Save

So Sunday I'm out in the Santa Monica Mountains attending a CORBA off road birthday bash at the Malibu Creek State Park. After making the climb up to one of our final poker stops its almost all down hill back to the start. I'm riding my fixed Surly 1x1 hop, skip, jumping all the way down this long climb having a great day with my friends in the dirt when my chain pops off. Immediately my brain knew something wasn't quite right when my feet were still connected to the cranks but not to the wheel. OH ****!! The ass end of my bike kicks several feet sideways and Hollywood swears I was either going down the enbankment or he was going to ride over me. Luckily the terrain wasn't too technical here; I got the bike straight and applied my front brake. Yeah for brakes!! A quick adjustment of my tuggnuts and I was back riding the dirt.

Fixie riding is fun.
    Fixie off road is a trip.
    Brakes are cool.
    That is all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    nice! sweeet!!

if only you could fix your computer as well as you fixed that rear wheel you might get somewhere! (on the internet)

mtbr member

good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kiecker
    The ass end of my bike kicks several feet sideways and Hollywood swears I was either going down the enbankment or he was going to ride over me. Luckily the terrain wasn't too technical here; I got the bike straight and applied my front brake. Yeah for brakes!! A quick adjustment of my tuggnuts and I was back riding the dirt.

Fixie riding is fun.
    Fixie off road is a trip.
    Brakes are cool.
    That is all.
    Good thing HW was there. Slap him on the butt for me next time you see him...

Members who have read this thread: 0