Hmm Single Speed.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hmm Single Speed.....

I know what a single speed bike is but why not just get and XC bike? What is the point of one? I dont mean to be ignorant but i have never really understood single speed.
    Any feedback would be great.
    Kevin
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
    George Gobol.

Not because I'm fast.....

Singlespeed

Quote Originally Posted by htims_nivek
    I know what a single speed bike is but why not just get and XC bike? What is the point of one? I dont mean to be ignorant but i have never really understood single speed.
    Any feedback would be great.
    Kevin
    For me, riding a rigid singlespeed clears my head and lets me enjoy the ride without having to worry about what gear I am in, is my fork set up right, what the rattling noise is, why won't my bike shift, etc. Once you ride a singlespeed and go back to a geared bike, it becomes really obvious how much time you and energy you spend thinking about shifting. Plus, it's hard and I like a challenge.

People ride singlespeeds for a lot of different personal reasons, and it is definitely not for everybody. I will tell you that many of the people including myself who post on this SS forum probably started by asking the same question you are asking. Why singlespeed? If you are interested, give it a try.....you might hate it, but you just might fall in love with it too! The guys who post here are some of the coolest, most knowledgeable, and helpful people in the sport of mountain biking. So welcome.

Someone please send this guy the link to the SS FAQ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks

thanks man, ill have to give it a try
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
    George Gobol.

Seaside stand up!
    I just started but I did get to ride 2 SS at cyclocross races in Santa Cruz before I got my own. I rolled my tire on my geared bike, a friend in the crowd thru me his SS (we both ran Time pedals) I caught the one guy who past me and noticed while racing that I was more concerned about my line,I was looking forward all the time instead of looking for the right gear after every hill and flat section. it was much easier to focus on riding and racing. I had already been lurking here for a while and that ride convinced me that this is what I wanted to do with my frame. What is funny too is that while a SS might be simple, the people in this forum are super smart and know more about bikes and how they work in general than most. If you want to try, hang out here for a while.
    Last edited by djkellycx; 03-04-2004 at 07:36 PM.
    antonio

Steamroller

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    For me, riding a rigid singlespeed clears my head and lets me enjoy the ride without having to worry about what gear I am in, is my fork set up right, what the rattling noise is, why won't my bike shift, etc. Once you ride a singlespeed and go back to a geared bike, it becomes really obvious how much time you and energy you spend thinking about shifting. Plus, it's hard and I like a challenge.

People ride singlespeeds for a lot of different personal reasons, and it is definitely not for everybody. I will tell you that many of the people including myself who post on this SS forum probably started by asking the same question you are asking. Why singlespeed? If you are interested, give it a try.....you might hate it, but you just might fall in love with it too! The guys who post here are some of the coolest, most knowledgeable, and helpful people in the sport of mountain biking. So welcome.

I couldn't have said it better. The first few SS rides were hard, but profound.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You the bike the trail

I started riding singlespeed as I wanted something DIFFERENT than my geared hardtail.
    I also happened to have an extra bike in the garage to convert. It was a simple conversion and didn't take long.

After the bike was converted my ideas about riding started to convert. I began to realize that on an SS you are more focused on the trail and the condition of your body. You begin to anticipate the route more and plan for the uphills, downhills and the flats that you just spin on. (This is the only time I miss the gears but not tht much...). I am also much more in tune when riding technical singletrack which is by far my favorite type of riding.

(It also does feel good to blow by a gearie on a nasty climb.)

I do realize that there is the imperssion out there that SSers must have some weird mindset to take the gears off of a bike and enjoy it.

This may actually be true.

1 I would rather snowboard than ski.
    2. I don't drive a fancy car an also don't care. (1986 Honda Accord).
    3. I hahad purple hair in high school and didn't go to the prom.
    4. I am a long way from simple. I have a better tuned bike than most of your gearies.
    I don''t like the rattle of a geared bike so the last thing I want is a SS that rattles.
    5, I will probably vote for Nader in November.

(If you disagree with this I will understand).

There is not a quest to change everyone into a SSer but if you do find yourself riding one make sure you wave when you ride by.

The Top Cap Guy

... and if we just ...

You know it's kind of funny... I'm still a new guy in the world of SS'ing... I've offically only had a SS of my own for 15 months - so I'm still a Newbie. Before I bought my first bike I made a SS - I was teased and joked around with another of my friends who had converted his old bike into a SS saying I needed one then I'd understand. I was like whatever - if it doesn't have 5" of travel front and back.... forget about it. So he wore me in November 2002 - when we went to our local trail we always roade on our full suspension bikes and this time he brought his old rigid Singlespeed (while geared bike was apart gettting new cables and a major clean up). We were very evenly paced on our dualies and I thought I was going to cream him on that old rigid junker with one gear.....

10 minutes into the ride he figured out momentum was his friend and left me.... and I had all the gears to catch him and I couldn't! I was floored. Immediately decided then I needed one of these secret training machines to make me faster too... off to the LBS and I picked up a leftover new Giant Rainer and ditched the gears and ran a Singulator on it to get me SS'ing. within the first ride I was amazed at how I was picking better lines on the trail.... and it forced me to stand up and climb - can't remember the last time I did that (I almost always used to sit and spin). The strength gain for me was noticeable. And that right there is what sold me. Four months later I ordered my custom SS frame and took the next step of going fully rigid. I absolutely love it. And the worst part is that my new 03 Heckler I had been dying for to arrive got here a month after the SS bug got me.... and it has hung in the basement more than anything... it still has less than 100 miles on it... and last year I roade close to a 1,000 miles......

For me the SS is just a great ride... I get noticeable strength benefits (riding rigid even helps my arms and chest more).... it forces me to not give up (I was bad at that).... you learn to use the trails energy (going down hills, and through turns) to build enegery that you can use.... and you actually have the time to focus on the trail and not worry about where you're going to downshift to make the next climb. The biggest difficulty I had was my thumbs were lonely looking for shifters my first few rides... now they bump my thumbs on my Heckler and I'm like oh yeah I can shift too! My SS bike requires no maint.... just lube the chain ever so often and it's good.... never have a noisy gear - or have to replace muddy shifter cables after a few soaking creek crossings.....

Now don;t get me wrong - I'm not 100% a Singlespeeder... I'm still a newbie and feel a geared bike has it's place... just not my first choice when I'm headed out the door for a ride!

1 I would rather ski than snowboard.
    2. I had a race car (11 sec Mustang) - sold it and now have a 95 Accord - and don;t miss the Mustang....
    3.I had a Flock of Seagals hairdo in Highschool and went to 4 Proms....
    4. I agree about having a better tuned bike.....
    5. I will vote in November for who is my best choice at the time....

Ok - I'm off my horse and my fingers hurt from typing...

FF

(forgive and mis-spellings and bad grammer.... I'm tired)
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

momentum

Momentum begins to take new meaning after riding a ss for a while. You see the trail a little differently then other geared riders. This goes for down hill as well. When you want to keep up or pass your freinds on the geared bikes, who are pedeln' down hill, you have to find the tightest lines with the least amount of breaking. But personaly I am not trying to convert anyone. I like the looks i get when i roll up for an epic 6 hour group ride and people ask "your riding that?"

T 3
    X - Pensive Wino

Great Explanations from everyone

I'm one of those who drop in once in a while to keep learning.Right now I'm in the middle of
    putting the finishing touches on my first full suspension build and want to ride explore
    what I can do with it to the fullest.That said,I'm still looking and learning about SS and
    when the time's right I want to expereince all SS has to offer.The outstanding info and
    attitudes I'm seeing in the responses to the original questioner show that there's some
    great people around this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd

"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
    -David St. Hubbins, Spinal Tap

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

SS, what's the point.... Hmmm

Its why I prefer sailing a dingy versus a yacht. Kayaking in a wood boat verus a manufactured fiberglass kayak. Fishing rather than going to the store for it.

It took a while but when I tore the rear deraileur off my road bike last year and my XC bike's rear shock when out, I was bikeless until a friend lent me his singlespeed for a day. I was hooked.

My singlespeed is EXACTLY built to MY specs, rather than to the masses. It has also made me a faster rider, but my age keeps me in check.

Bikes not Bombs.....

... and if we just ... 99 % rule.....

I have always lived the 99 % rule.... which is.... If 99 % of the people are doing it, I won't be in that crowd.

I think that is one of the reasons I enjoy SS'ing. It gets looks, enlists comments and starts a million conversations. I drive Scion XB, don't know how to Ski and don;'t even drink beer or wine.... now that is the 1 % rule !!!!!

Jeff Jones sent me a poster of his new 3D Space frame, so I pinned it on the wall of my Cubihell at work. I keep looking at the 1% rule in effect and keep asking myself... when are you going to make the call and order one.... when.... when..... when....

I will have to post a picture of the drilled out EBB he did for me. it is on his web site...incredible...

When...when....when....when...when....when....when ...when....when....when...when....when....when...w hen....when....when...when....when....when...when. ...when....when...when....when....when...when....w hen....when...when....when....when...when....when. ...when...when....when....when...when....when....w hen...when....when....when...when....when....when. ..when....when....when...when....when....when...wh en....when....when...when....when....when...when.. ..when....when...when....when....when...when....wh en....when...when....when....when................. .................................................. .........................................when.

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My geared bike died on me one day. I had no money to my name and needed a bike. A friend let me borrow a converted ss gary fisher big sur until I could get a new bike. It was not love at first site. This thing looked like crap. At first all I dreamed about was getting a SC superlight. Then the bike and I just clicked. After a summer of only fixing flats and putting erle on the chain I was hooked. That was two years ago. I don't own a geared mtn. bike. I have two SS's and a geared cross bike (soon to be converted). To me it comes down to the simplicity of the bike and the feeling of being more aware of what is going on around me. Thats my two cents worth.

Birdman aka JMJ

Couple of reasons

1. I like building bikes and thought that a SS would be a fun project - it was!
    2. I wanted to "rescue" an old frame and build it up to its former glory - I did!
    3. I found that when riding my geared bikes, my legs didn't get a really tough workout (but my lungs did), so I wanted something to force my legs to work harder - they do!
    4. I wanted a light, simple, quiet, rigid bike - it is!
    5. I wanted a different experience on my often-ridden local trails - I do!
    6. I wanted other riders to think I was "hardcore"... jury's still out on that one (LOL).

New to SS and loving it - JMJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

like the one scene in Cast Away

...ss riding....you know, like the one scene in Tom Hanks' Cast Away, where he's back in the real world, and ends up sleeping on the floor, just because it feels right.
    SS is like that. I have ridden fool suspension bikes, regular geared bikes, and upon discovering SS, I could turkey called Matt CHester one day and ordered a new SS Utilitiman.

I was hooked! The hills here in WI are not miles and miles long, but they sure are steep in places. The maiden voyage to California took up north of the GG bridge. We parked at the top of the hill to overlook the bridge. My brother on his yellow Y-33, and me on a SS. So down the hill we go, crossing the bridge, and just having fun.

On the way back I knew I was going to hate that climb...so Ignacio n' me began the climb...and I dropped him. Keep in mind he was on a fool suspension bike, and he had locked out his SID. Me in the other hand, kept on huffin' and puffin' and passed a guy that looked rather fit. He was on a yellow Bridgestone road bike, on the easy gears...and I passed him. I was riding the CHester with a 32:16 at the time...then I passed two other people.

As tired as I was, I felt a sense of accomplishment...ever since, I have detested the 7, 8, 9, and 10 speed cassettes. Nothing but trouble.

SS ROCKS!