hills crushed on a SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

hills crushed on a SS

In my never ending quest to understand the minds of you SS boys, i have another question for you. I know that i don't have the leg strength many of you have, so doing this on my own would yeild bias results. i would like you guys to post picture of hills you have crushed on your SS. Would be nice to hear the war story aswell.

If you could post a pic of the hill, gearing, and sweet story that would be great

Keep on riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's hard to take a pic of a climb and understand how steep it is. There is no good frame of reference.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Pics don't do hills any justice. In person, over the bike, temples pounding, lungs acrid, head about to explode tells you what you want to know.

mtbr member
    The hills that get me aren't the steep, short, techy ones. I can handle those. The ones that always kill me are the long grinding climbs... especially loose, gravel fire roads that go on forever.

32x17 (29er) here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I agree, pics don't do it justice but here's one I snapped last friday. Total loop distance 6 miles, 3 miles up, 3 miles down. Dry fireroads. Some loose gravel. 32X18 gearing.

Coors, the american beer.
    ridden a few san francisco bay area trails on my ss, boggs, china camp, skyline, i think i even took it to tamarancho ... sometimes i clear hills sometimes i walk ... the beauty of riding it is i know im getting stronger and one day ill top some of those hills

and if i want suspension or feel like taking it easy i have an 06 enduro expert for that purpose.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    photo stop time three quarters of the way up a 800 metre climb
    Attached Images Attached Images

local trails rider
    I cannot honestly say that I crush hills on any bike

Put it this way: my SS trail bike is geared so that I can climb anything local, unless I slip on a rock or something. A couple of spots come very close to crushing me but it is not much different on a gearie bike. Sometimes I walk just to preserve some strength for the "next one". On the way down I get enough speed by coasting, aided by a quick sprint if that seems like a good idea.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This might be slightly off-topic, but bear with me, please... (Once I get a camera, I'll post some pictures of local hills to redeem myself.)

One strange thing I've noticed, is that the chosen gear changes the way I construct routes. I used to run 32:16 a long time ago, but at some point I started gearing down to tackle more 'interesting' bits of terrain. At the moment I'm running 32:21, and my current loops are incomparable to the old ones: way more technical bits (because you start looking in less likely places), short, steep uphills with awkward run-ups, and of course as little flat or recovery time as possible. Odd, in a way, but I absolutely love it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I cannot honestly say that I crush hills on any bike

Put it this way: my SS trail bike is geared so that I can climb anything local, unless I slip on a rock or something. A couple of spots come very close to crushing me but it is not much different on a gearie bike. Sometimes I walk just to preserve some strength for the "next one". On the way down I get enough speed by coasting, aided by a quick sprint if that seems like a good idea.
    I pretty much agree with your perspective and tactics. I can say that I have been taking my SS to more and more places I never thought I would. I just like the SS more. I suffer just as much (sometimes in different ways) when I ride with gears, but I go a lot slower. SS is getting more and more fun for me every time I ride it. We might have similar hills too.

crap magnet

No Pic of the climb

But here's an elevation profile of a ride earlier this summer and a photo from the top of the first climb. Two of us were on SS's. We pushed a bit but rode 90% of it. Photo courtesy of Mtn. Biker123
    Last edited by cdaddy; 11-25-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    We might have similar hills too.
    Mine are not long (no mountains around) but I get to go up and down several times during a loop. This one I usually ride downhill:

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'm riding an El Cheapo SS (Motobecane) with a 34-16 setup and I regularly ride Annadel. I can climb Spring Creek without dabbing, but I haven't been able to clean Two Quarry.

Dunno if this helps as you would have to know the trails in order to have a frame of reference.

Apr 2007
    You just need to build up your strength. It won't happen overnight. Just keep at it. You might have to walk it the first several times, but eventually you'll get there.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaddy
    But here's an elevation profile of a ride earlier this summer and a photo from the top of the first climb. Two of us were on SS's. We pushed a bit but rode 90% of it. Photo courtesy of Mtn. Biker123
    That's fuggin climbing!
    dude!
    starting above 9K and doing 2.5K in the first 3 mi!
    Kudos to you all!
    Tone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone
    That's fuggin climbing!
    dude!
    starting above 9K and doing 2.5K in the first 3 mi!
    Kudos to you all!
    Tone.
    Truly!....I live in Santa Fe, just south of Taos. Doubt seriously I could make those climbs with my 1x8, much less my SS. Maybe I'll die, tryin'....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Maybe I'll die, tryin'...

much as I hate to pander to tough-guy posturing, this really seems like the SS'ers creedo...
    that beautiful moment in the morning sun when you're looking at the trail head and thinking... "maybe today, I'll die trying..."

love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    much as I hate to pander to tough-guy posturing, this really seems like the SS'ers creedo...
    that beautiful moment in the morning sun when you're looking at the trail head and thinking... "maybe today, I'll die trying..."

love it!
    Beats dying sitting on a Barca Stratolounger, watching Gilligan's Island reruns. I hope, if I make it to 80, I'm STILL out there, coughing lungers, and tryin' to clean that hill....

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Truly!....I live in Santa Fe, just south of Taos. Doubt seriously I could make those climbs with my 1x8, much less my SS. Maybe I'll die, tryin'....
    I would bring one of these with me....

I live to close to the ocean to be riding those footies!

Nat
    mtbr member
    After crushing the first half of the climb, I decided it would be a good idea to take a rest:

Members who have read this thread: 0