rigid bruce
    Nov 2004

High rise stem for Midge bars?

What are the stem options for getting Midge bars nice and high? I'm putting them on an old Fat City frame. I need a threadless stem, 1" or 1 1/8" is ok.

I know about the Salsa Moto Ace, are there any that are taller without going custom?

bruce boysen

mtbr member
    On-One makes a high rise stem to go nicely with your bars

Soma makes some too

Salsa's been doing it for ages

All I can think of off the top of my head that I'd want to ride

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Profile Boa, 60-120mm length and 20, 30, and 40* rise. And its only $20.

-Rob.

artistic...
    fat chances have very short head tubes.... you will need a lot of stem there. fats are not the ideal bikes for drop bars in my humble sometimes mistaken opinion. i have a wicked.. rode it w/ a midge and thought it went against the bike's personality. it curbed it's potential.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    Yeah, you might be right about the Midges on a Fat. Two factors are in my favor here. The threadless steerer on the Big One Inch fork is pretty long with a good 1.5 inches of spacers under the stem. The frame is a large which is a frame size bigger than the old sizing charts would put me on.

I might be ok as a Salsa 130 degree, 135mm extension stem gets the top of the Midge bars (next to the stem clamp) close to saddle height. This feels pretty good, I just want to try higher to see if it's even better. At some point it's going to look too wrong and I won't want to go that high. The bike looks great right now. It's a 1991 Monster Fat with almost perfect paint. Red Fat Chance decals, not the green Monster originals.

If this doesn't work for me I'll put Mary bars on it. I have them on my '94 titanium Fat and they are excellent. The bikes are everyday riders, not period correct, obviously.

bruce

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigid
    Yeah, you might be right about the Midges on a Fat. Two factors are in my favor here. The threadless steerer on the Big One Inch fork is pretty long with a good 1.5 inches of spacers under the stem. The frame is a large which is a frame size bigger than the old sizing charts would put me on.

I might be ok as a Salsa 130 degree, 135mm extension stem gets the top of the Midge bars (next to the stem clamp) close to saddle height. This feels pretty good, I just want to try higher to see if it's even better. At some point it's going to look too wrong and I won't want to go that high. The bike looks great right now. It's a 1991 Monster Fat with almost perfect paint. Red Fat Chance decals, not the green Monster originals.

If this doesn't work for me I'll put Mary bars on it. I have them on my '94 titanium Fat and they are excellent. The bikes are everyday riders, not period correct, obviously.

bruce

looks like it would work fine.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, you want the hooks about the height that your flat bar would be at normally. If you find yourself with extra stems I might be interested. I'm trying to fit some Midges on my KM, I've only mocked them up, I can't really tell if it'll work yet until I get my levers.

Members who have read this thread: 0