Hi, especially to Japan-dwellers- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    (was) Big in Japan
    Reputation: TheSingleGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,006

    Cool-blue Rhythm Hi, especially to Japan-dwellers

    Hi 'yall!!

    I am a long time lurker, first-time poster, and just wanted to say HI! I used to post a bit on the old SS board (formerly "oyaji"), and only just got around to registering here. I live in Japan, and ride my SS as much as possible. We have some pretty good riding here, but the hills are much steeper and bigger than those in my home of Brisbane Australia.

    Thats enuf for now, will try to attach a photo of some Japanese dirt.

    Thanks for your time!

    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride.

  2. #2
    (was) Big in Japan
    Reputation: TheSingleGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,006

    One More Photo

    Gotta read up on how to post multiple pics, sorry for my ignorance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride.

  3. #3
    The man who fell to earth
    Reputation: Ziggy-Stardust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    335

    Far out man...

    Great pic of Fuji. I climbed to the top last summer, what an awesome summit! Didn't get a chance to do any MB-ing while I was there though. Do you live close to Tokyo? Where do you ride?


    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    Hi 'yall!!

    I am a long time lurker, first-time poster, and just wanted to say HI! I used to post a bit on the old SS board (formerly "oyaji"), and only just got around to registering here. I live in Japan, and ride my SS as much as possible. We have some pretty good riding here, but the hills are much steeper and bigger than those in my home of Brisbane Australia.

    Thats enuf for now, will try to attach a photo of some Japanese dirt.

    Thanks for your time!

    Chris

  4. #4
    (was) Big in Japan
    Reputation: TheSingleGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,006

    Fuji

    yep, it is a mighty fine lump of dirt. I live about 100km SW of Tokyo, RIGHT on the base of Mt Fuji. The town where I live is called Susono, Shizuoka Prefecture.

    There are a few trails around here, mostly old forest roads and farmers roads, some singletrack. In summer Nagano is good, but for XC my favorite place is near Nagoya city, an awesome network of fun, rolling singletrack.

    The only problem here is getting SS parts, most people love their new technology, and most shops dont carry any SS stuff. Japanese people are super nice and great to ride with though. It is also a gold mine of used gear, they upgrade OFTEN!!!

    Cheers,

    Chris
    Ride.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thylacine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    yep, it is a mighty fine lump of dirt. I live about 100km SW of Tokyo, RIGHT on the base of Mt Fuji. The town where I live is called Susono, Shizuoka Prefecture.

    There are a few trails around here, mostly old forest roads and farmers roads, some singletrack. In summer Nagano is good, but for XC my favorite place is near Nagoya city, an awesome network of fun, rolling singletrack.

    The only problem here is getting SS parts, most people love their new technology, and most shops dont carry any SS stuff. Japanese people are super nice and great to ride with though. It is also a gold mine of used gear, they upgrade OFTEN!!!

    Cheers,

    Chris
    Hey Chris, welcome to the frey ( again). Nice pic of Fuji-san! I'm from Melbourne myself and have been to Japan 3 times, mostly on business, but I did get to ride with some mates who live near Imabari on Shikoku. ( aka no where near you ). If you ever need some parts and don't want to pay Jpn prices, just let me know and I'll hook ya up.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

  6. #6
    (was) Big in Japan
    Reputation: TheSingleGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,006

    Thanks!!!

    Thanks thylacine! That would be a great help, as my "LBS" (or my preferred shop, a friend of a friend, and an amazing shop) is three hours drive on the highway from here.

    I will try to get some more pics going, I have to sit down and resize a lot of my photos, then can post a few more.

    An interesting and quick story, two years ago I climbed Fuji with a friend, and on the way up we passed three guys climbing with mtbs on their backs! They all had really old XC bikes, with cantilever brakes, even! If I was going to descend from 3800m to sea level in one ride, i would at least grab some good brakes! It is REALLY steep up high! I have pics of them on film, if i get a chance to scan them i will post them here.

    Cheers,

    Chris
    Ride.

  7. #7
    The man who fell to earth
    Reputation: Ziggy-Stardust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    335

    That's insane!

    Wow, bringing old (rigid?) canti-braked mountain bikes up to the top and then descending? That's crazy. Its little more than "get on all fours" rock scrambling goat paths toward the top. Not to mention the thin air. And for the descending route it's all those steep grades of loose pumice/lava rock. I had trouble getting down on foot without busting my ass (which I did several times). I can't even imagine what a nightmare that must have been without body armor on a primitive MB...Nuts! Although on the lower sections it would have been really nice. Plus I'm surprised they let anyone up on a MB, unless they got a special permit or something. I know last year a paraplegic guy climbed to the top on his four wheeled wheel chair right after the official climbing season ended (in Sept). I think it took him about a week though, and he had to get a special permit.

    Anyway, love to see those pics if you can find them. Great place to live, enjoy yourself there.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    An interesting and quick story, two years ago I climbed Fuji with a friend, and on the way up we passed three guys climbing with mtbs on their backs! They all had really old XC bikes, with cantilever brakes, even! If I was going to descend from 3800m to sea level in one ride, i would at least grab some good brakes! It is REALLY steep up high! I have pics of them on film, if i get a chance to scan them i will post them here.

  8. #8
    (was) Big in Japan
    Reputation: TheSingleGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,006

    MTB Fuji

    They had First generation Judys!!! I think I would rather the rigid fork! Yeah, I would love to try it on a DH bike, but otherwise...

    These days it is banned above the fifth stations, I think. And that guy in the wheelchair was held up for eight hours by a park ranger, because NO BICYCLES!!!!!!!! Poor guy, finally they got it through to the authorities that a wheelchair is not a bicycle, and he finished it. What a legend.

    Gotta get a scanner, and I will post the pics. It sure is a fun place to be most of the time.
    Ride.

Similar Threads

  1. Ibis Avion?
    By Fillet-brazed in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.