hey nightriders, what are you using to light the trail?- Mtbr.com
    sufferer of a.d.d.

hey nightriders, what are you using to light the trail?

the light review is just too much for me to try and take in. those of you that are night riders, what is your preferred light and why? ps i want to spend less than $200

"Mr. Britannica"

uh, Niterider

15w flood on the bars and 10w spot on the head (both non-digital).

sufferer of a.d.d.
    what does non-digital mean. the botton is an analogue toggle type?

"Mr. Britannica"

they introduced "digital" a few years back

Not quite sure exactly what it means, but it controlled the battery drain or something..... supposedly lots problems, at least in the beginning. I don't go for a ll the new whiz-bang tech, so I've been pretty happy. FWIW, Jet and Light & Motion also get good reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

handsdown.......niterider

So far I have had no problems with any of my niterider lights. I use one 15w headlamp and one 10w handlebar. Both purchased for under $150 bucks. I have had the 15w for over 6 years with the original NiCad and still get 2+ hours out of it. And not to mention, it has lived through many crashes.

Steamroller

Nightrider HeadTrip...

..on my helmet 10 watt with 2.5 hr runtime for about $95. Right now I run a 5 LED handlebar light for a bit of help, it cost 30 and runs forever on a couple AA batts. I'll probably get a Trail Rat for the bars soon it's about the same as the Head Trip.

Lights in Motion seems to have some of the best lighting based on people I've talked with and the lights shootout, good multifaceted reflector design and they are supposed to be real durable.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

vista lite 5/10

Quote Originally Posted by warmseth
    the light review is just too much for me to try and take in. those of you that are night riders, what is your preferred light and why? ps i want to spend less than $200
    I spent around $100 bucks for a dual light vista lite set up. I think it is a 5 and 10 but it could be a 10 and 15 watt setup. Anyway I run the lower power on the bars and the strongest beam on my head. Really a great system that is always overlooked by tests. The batteries are small and light, they last for hours (longer than claimed) and the give off plenty of light. If $$$$ is an issue I would certainly consider it.

NJ_TX_KY Nomad
    Mar 2004

Jet Lites Rule!

I've bought the cheap Niterider Trail Rat, tried the high end Niterider HID something something and bought the 20W Helment Mount Jetlite and the 12 W Bar Mount Jetlite ("i" series, note "m" series). These lights are undescribably bright and absolutely flood the trail with light. They are a little over your $200 budget but not by much, only about $40. Call Jim at Jet Lites and talk to him. Also read the reviews of Jet Lites on the product review board. They by far have the best ratings and this is for a reason. The HID stuff is "bright" but does NOT outperform the Jetlite and does not provide good contrast on the trail which is very important for night riding.

mtbr member

niterider mullet buttsqueeze

I use a niterider storm. Baddest light system there is. 4 hours of shine. Can't go wrong with that, plus it's brighter than my car's headlamps, I think.

mtbr member

Idea! I only have Niterider

Three styles.
    NiteOwl ($100 at Performance 6 years ago, no problerms yet)
    Digital 12E ($250 Bro/Pro deal) Lamps unit replaced once for free.
    BlowTorch ($250 blowout) Bulb replaced for nothin')( I dropped it)

I have had no REAL problems like the some reveiwers have had.

I say get Niterider, most say somebody else. Maybe I'm lucky?
    Maybe others do stupid things with/to their lights?

sufferer of a.d.d.
    well i just bought this tasty number off ebay for $150

ebay link for those who want to see details

seems like a pretty good deal...little dirty, but then so am i

what do you think?

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

Jet Lites...

I run a 6v jet lites (15/12/10 watt dimmer) on my head and a Lume Strada HID on the bars. Very sweet set up. I moved "up" from a Jet Starfire single on my bars.

The Jet Starfire I had was a 20w model witht he dimmer upgrade. It was pretty sweet as well, but I went with Lume just cuz' I knew I would want HID sooner or later and the deal right now is pretty good. If you can't swing for a Lume Strada, then get the Jet Starfire (I wouldn't recommend the Lume Vado because of the run time, I like the idea of a dimmer so you can get atleast 2 hrs of burn).

I think you can get a Jet Starfire single with a dimmer upgrade for right around $200 from Larry at www.mtnhighcyclery.com and Larry will also give you great service!!!

Cheers!

mtbr member

The guy seems honest

well i just bought this tasty number off ebay for $150

ebay link for those who want to see details

seems like a pretty good deal...little dirty, but then so am i

what do you think?
    You'll probably be pretty stoked, for $150.
    Email the seller to find out if it should be used fully(drained) and then charged between each use. Does it have a (memeory). Can you charge it at anytime after use?
    I'm no techie. That's just what I would here before I went digital.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm using a niterider 10w bar and 10w headtrip. They work great and provide plenty of light for a trail ride. Durability has been a non-issue.

mtbr member

TurboCat....

I've got 3 of them! They work great, simple and effective, but not the lightest weight if that matters to you.

MC

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by PISS Off #31
    I've bought the cheap Niterider Trail Rat, tried the high end Niterider HID something something and bought the 20W Helment Mount Jetlite and the 12 W Bar Mount Jetlite ("i" series, note "m" series). These lights are undescribably bright and absolutely flood the trail with light. They are a little over your $200 budget but not by much, only about $40. Call Jim at Jet Lites and talk to him. Also read the reviews of Jet Lites on the product review board. They by far have the best ratings and this is for a reason. The HID stuff is "bright" but does NOT outperform the Jetlite and does not provide good contrast on the trail which is very important for night riding.

I have to concur with Piss Off #31. I've used Jet Lites for over 3 years. Jim gave me a free upgrade about two year ago when I had a weird battery melt down (lightning fast warranty service direct from Jim) so I've been running a model that was the predecessor to their current higher end models. The run times and reliability of these lights are **fantastic**. 20W for 2+ hours, 12W for something like 3.5 hours... I have a single head lamp (12W) and the Dual handlebar (12 & 20 - which can be run as 6, 10, 12, 20 or 32W). Very bright white light.

My S.O. has a couple Niterider lights, the digital headtrip for the helmet (which they don't make anymore) and the NiteRider Digital Evolution. I would rate them both as "OK".

Personally, I like the light output of the Jet Lites and the battery case design of the NiteRiders.

On another note, I have a friend who has a HID handlebar mount from Light and Motion. Nice light... very expensive.

The Top Cap Guy
    I'm currently running a Niterider Blowtorch, but before that I ran a Marwi bar light with a Marwi helmet light. Gave me plenty of use without issues and with both lights it was tons of light... they were New on Ebay for like $100 and $60 (respectivelty).

Hope that helps
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

Lupine Nightmare Pro

I use it because it flat out works. It's out of your budget, but spend more on a good light if you can. A bad light is unsafe and it detracts from the night riding experience.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cygo

I'm very happy with my Cygo NMIH model, and so are 2 riding pals who got them. One built a custom battery back and made a head lamp with a light unit bought as a spare part and that worked well too. So far the price of this line is great and the quality seems good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Homebrew. MR-16's 20W low and 50W high (Yeah, baby), housed in PVC, driven by 10 4.5AmH D cells in series. Charged with Maha 700c (or something).

Runtime on low is 2.5 hours, on high is about an hour (although the housing would probably melt if I left it on high for that long). In use, flipping between low and high beams for downhills, I get a solid two hours out of it.

Total cost = $125 (including $50 for the charger). If you run SLA batteries, you can do this for mcuh cheaper as both batteries and chargers are way less expensive.

Cheers,

-Andrew

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    HID is the way to go, spendy but it's really worth it if you ride a lot at night or race 24's.
    I'm using a pair of Light & Motion ARCs - Several years old and no probs. Upgrading soon to the lighter Lithium-Ions.

ride on(e)

... and if we just ... Niterider HID - Blowtorch

works great, no problems!!

No relation

Niterider something or other.

I think it has a six in the name. Pro six, perhaps? Never had any problems, although my "night" rides outside of 24 hour stuff are usually pre-dawn, so the sun comes up just as the light goes out. Perfick. I got Niterider because of the 24 hour race support, if I get back into 24 hour races, I think there are plenty more choices.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

mtbr member

Niterider

Niterider Digital Evolution on the bars (you change the light output from 6 watts/10 watts/15watts) and a Trailrat 2.0 on the helmet (10 watts).

sufferer of a.d.d.
    thanks for the replies, i bought a light system

see my above post for details. if you want to keep posting for the sake of making this an interesting poll, cool. i hope i'm happy with my nitesun tri-light that i bought.

mtbr member

Oh NO!

Happiness will last until it fails. Nightsun has the worst customer service and no response on warranty inquiries. Get your money back while you can.

sufferer of a.d.d.
    well i might be sol then 'cause i bought it used off ebay for a MUCH reduced price. the guy who sold it lives about a half mile from me though and seems really cool so i don't think it's a junk unit as of yet and it's two years old already. hopefully it will serve me well. if not, lesson learned...again.

highly visible

Posting a reply anyway, for others interested in the topic: TurboCat!

I've got the TurboCat S25 (10W+15) system on the bars. This system can be had for $200 and it's dang bright. Beautifully machined and constructed stuff, and the lights can be aimed individually. Also they mount individually, for those rides when you don't need both beams. I have both the Endurance (water bottle, 1:40 runtime at 15W) and Macho (frame mount, 2.5+ hrs at 15W) batteries. FYI, the 15W bulb appears almost twice as bright as the 10W bulb: for next winter I will be upgrading my low beam to 15W, for 30W total.

On the helmet I often get by with my 2W Petzl headlamp (only because most of my night rides are not on twisty singletrack). For rides where I need more light up top, I borrow my wife's NiteRider TrailRat and attach it using their helmet mount. Not anywhere near the quality of TurboCat products, IMO - I may have to buy their helmet light eventually.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 03-21-2004 at 12:35 PM.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I love TurboCats--been using them for years.

Bars: S-47 with NiCad battery, will upgrade to NiMH once this batery dies.
    Helmet: TG-10 with NiMH battery.

Digital sucks, analog rocks.

--Vlad