Hey Dan from home brewed components- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Hey Dan from home brewed components

Dan, I have tried reaching you several times via email with no response so am posting here. As per our last email 3 months ago I am submitting the following reply from you:

Scott
    I just donít have time to look for it right now as Iím leaving town tomorrow for a few days, but Iíll assume you sent it and itís here somewhere. Iíll send a cog as soon as I make the next batch.

Thanks,

Dan

The cog you were to send is a blue 2 piece 18T stainless, can you let me know where we are at with this?
    Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    bump

!Vamos, flaco!
    Bummer. Good luck. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

more love, less attitude
    Dec 2006
    It is his policy to ignore status requests. I hope you get your cog soon.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyKnale View Post
    It is his policy to ignore status requests.
    That's quite a business model.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Silence speaks volumes

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This is a public forum not Dan's private message center. It's hard for me to believe that anyone that comes to this forum and places an order with HBC isn't aware of how things roll, including the wait time.

mtbr member
    I love how folks use the forum to hopefuly get themselves to the front of the line.
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

!Vamos, flaco!
    Someone gave me a negative rep for my comment(s) on this thread at 9:07 a.m. this morning. The comment is "boo hiss." What a pathetic anonymous comment. I wish a guy luck and am confused by someone's business model / m.o., and I get booed and hissed. This is hilarious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    6 months and counting on a cog, I posted this same question on Dan's profile page a week ago only to see it deleted. I would prefer to keep this between dan and myself, unfortunatley that is no longer an option.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    This is a public forum not Dan's private message center. It's hard for me to believe that anyone that comes to this forum and places an order with HBC isn't aware of how things roll, including the wait time.
    what blows me is that its pretty obvious that Dan is not around to answer questions but still people keep on asking probably flooding his emails too.

people with trust issues should not bind themselves to anything custom made and long waiting time.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr View Post
    I love how folks use the forum to hopefuly get themselves to the front of the line.
    Four months? Why would anyone else be in front of you if you've been waiting four months? Paid. Cash in the bank. Guarantee it's already been spent. Dude needs to nut up and ship the product, contact the customer who is REPEATEDLY trying to keep contact on the DL, or give his money back. Which goes back to the point...it's already spent.

Poor
    Business
    Model

Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    How about my time wait. I ordered and paid for a 34 black front ring January 19. Today is December 1 W.T.F.!!!!!!!!!! We've traded e-mails 4 times and I've seen NOTHING!
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Refer to PBM above. Sounds like someone needs to talk to the BBB and rattle this dude's cage a little bit.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    6 months and counting on a cog, I posted this same question on Dan's profile page a week ago only to see it deleted. I would prefer to keep this between dan and myself, unfortunatley that is no longer an option.
    If I don't get my money back I'm going to post everyday (Don't get screwed like I did) starting January 1st.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Blow his phone up daily. I've been in your shoes. I rattled enough cages and got the cell phone number to the business I had to deal with. Things got resolved rather quickly after that.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Definitely sounds like a BBB matter.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am at the start of 4 weeks for a cog and I am not concerned. He is a one man show, and I am sure he did lose a couple of days with Thanks giving, Now if I go beyond 6 weeks I may start to worry.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

My First Chain-Ring took a month

HBC it not a Microwave, need it now try a larger manufacture
    Nothing to BBB about IMHO.
    Steelfreak
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive View Post
    I am at the start of 4 weeks for a cog and I am not concerned. He is a one man show, and I am sure he did lose a couple of days with Thanks giving, Now if I go beyond 6 weeks I may start to worry.
    I wasn't either. Now that I've been waiting 11 months when do you think I should worry?

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Hah, the people who have received their cogs in a "timely" manner will likely be the only ones backing HBC. They are blinded by the anodized bling. The rest of us aren't fooled and can impartially call BS at will.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey, does anyone want to split the cost of a CNC machine with me and start cranking out cogs in a reasonable amount of time? Sounds like a good business model.

If we could just get our hands on HBC's wait list, we'd have a great book of business to start with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Didn't want to blow HBC up on the forum. If it was a much larger company I would have done this immediately. I had his original 2 piece cog. When he came out with a new design I sent an email asking if there was anything wrong with the old design.(aluminum pins) I was that my cog was good and the new design is just better. Turns out that if you had the first generation you were liable to shear the aluminum pins holding the cog together. I found out first hand.

He told me to send him the cog and that he would refit the steel teeth onto a new spline and that he now uses steel pins. I sent the cog on sept 19! It is now december 2nd and I still don't have the cog back. I have sent numerous emails and was told that my product should be shipped the next day and still nothing.

I own a small landscaping company. If I do work for someone and they have a complaint I go and try to fix the issue as fast as I can. So it is hard to understand how someones broken part does not go to the top of the list. I really wanted to like this guy but I think I stick to surly cogs from now on.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Maybe y'all can find this helpful?
    https://www.facebook.com/danielaldenwilcox
    He seems pretty active on there. Blow up his message box.

And his company site:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Homeb...03336349781516

Or this
    Homebrewed Components | SOPWAMTOS Ė Society of People Who Actually Make Their Own ****
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Hmm, y'all may enjoy reading that he gives special attention to select customers:
    Erik DeKold Isn't it hard enough to buy from you already though?
    November 15 at 12:30am

Erik DeKold I mean, unless you are me.

Dan Wilcox My lead times are half of yours!
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    Someone gave me a negative rep for my comment(s) on this thread at 9:07 a.m. this morning. The comment is "boo hiss." What a pathetic anonymous comment. I wish a guy luck and am confused by someone's business model / m.o., and I get booed and hissed. This is hilarious.
    wack!.....no worries though...I repped you back strictly based on your avatar.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    can we change the single speed forum to "dan from HBC service line"?
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcarll View Post
    can we change the single speed forum to "dan from HBC service line"?
    NO! But Lots of other treads in the SS forum. You don't have to click on this one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour machine View Post
    NO! But Lots of other treads in the SS forum. You don't have to click on this one.
    my ill attempt at a joke .
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcarll View Post
    my ill attempt at a joke .
    Dido

The Angry Singlespeeder

Phone?

Okay, so people have emailed him, messaged him on MTBR, posted on MTBR, went to his website, went to Facebook, went to SOPWAMTOS....

Here's a thought....has anyone actually tried CALLING him?
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I've bought many rings and cogs from Dan over the past 3 years and although the wait time is frustrating he has always delivered with a top quality product. Like myself he's running a one man shop. As such it's impossible to keep up with taking orders, production, shipping, as well as respond to emails and forum inquiries. It's obvious to me he's going through growing pains with the business. It would be my guess he's devoting all his time to production in order clear up this back log. I don't think the concern should be whether you'll get your part or money back but when. Just slow but not a scam business.

Maybe he doesn't need help with production but a sweet customer service babe to keep up with emails and order status is all it would take to stop this negative chatter. Customers just want to know they haven't been lost, misplaced, forgotten or most importantly ignored

AZ
    banned
    Wake me up when the witch hunt has concluded.

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Wake me up when the witch hunt has concluded.

mtbr member

Cool Hand Luke

What do you think it will take to quiet this negative chatter ending this thread AZ?

Dan, you need to take a day and address your customers concerns. You know how anxiously it can be waiting for the mail man to deliver a new part.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"
    Last edited by crazy8; 12-03-2011 at 05:44 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy8 View Post
    What do you think it will take to quiet this negative chatter ending this thread AZ?

Dan, you need to take a day and address your customers concerns. You know how anxiously it can be waiting for the mail man to deliver a new part.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate".........Struther Martin

That's it in a nut shell, communication, and a couple of naysayers that are just stirring the pot need to STFU.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    This is disappointing to hear. I just bought a sram crank to run spiderless with one of the HBC rings on my upcoming SS build. Does anyone else make spiderless chainrings? sorry... im new to this

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by edapp View Post
    This is disappointing to hear. I just bought a sram crank to run spiderless with one of the HBC rings on my upcoming SS build. Does anyone else make spiderless chainrings? sorry... im new to this

No worries just order one with the wait in mind, planning ya know. Get one in the que so the build doesn't get stalled out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I guess thats what ill have to do. Though, with a 6 month to a year wait it looks like it could still stall the build. I hope things get sorted out before my build is finished (hopefully around april-may?). I would really like to hear what Dan has to say about the lack of customer service. I love the look of his product, but would rather support a company that I can easily communicate with (as most people have stated).

banned
    Sep 2010
    I guess thats what ill have to do. Though, with a 6 month to a year wait it looks like it could still stall the build. I hope things get sorted out before my build is finished (hopefully around april-may?). I would really like to hear what Dan has to say about the lack of customer service. I love the look of his product, but would rather support a company that I can easily communicate with (as most people have stated).

Then send him an email.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Maybe he doesn't need help with production but a sweet customer service babe to keep up with emails and order status is all it would take to stop this negative chatter. Customers just want to know they haven't been lost, misplaced, forgotten or most importantly ignored
    Walt keeps the wait list on his site: Waltworks Bicycles: Waltworks Waitlist!

I sort of wish James from Black Sheep had done this when I had a bike on order.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Then send him an email.
    Ask anthem1 how emails work out for him. And that's after months of trying to contact him...and having paid him. Feel free to do what you want to run your snazzy spiderless crank...like stare at it in the garage for 6 months wishing you had ordered elsewhere.

OCCUPY HBC!
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134 View Post
    Hmm, y'all may enjoy reading that he gives special attention to select customers:

As for the crybabies about this post...for those not being jilted, it does not quite have the sting that it does to those waiting.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Keep up the positive reps guys, you're doing great. The Occupy comment is to make the point that if no one points out a problem, it will never be fixed. Look past the tips of your noses and realize that all prior attempts at communication have failed.
    Dave Chappelle - Hate in your Heart - YouTube

Edit: great feedback on this post. Good job.
    Last edited by orion_134; 12-03-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Coming soon my friend

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    ugh, i guess i should log on more often.
    Scott,
    Sorry, but i never found anything, and you didnt even verify with me if it was ok to send it back. There was no tracking or anything from you, so i'm just to assume you sent me a chainring and 20 dollars cash? I'll send you a cog, but i'm really eating $50 here...

mtbr member
    THIS!!!

I have bought a few gears and a chainring from HBC. I have always been left wondering when (or if) I was going to get my parts. Communications are non-existent with Dan. Both times I ordered parts, after 5 weeks, I e-mailed repeatedly to find ask what the hold up was. Never a response. This is poor customer service, plain and simple.
    Ignoring concerned customers is not a sustainable business strategy.

Give an accurate time table for delivery of parts. The 2 - 3 weeks stated on the website is not accurate.
    Respond to e-mails within a reasonable time.
    Schedule a time period every day to respond to e-mails. 20 - 30 minutes a day should be completely doable.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jcufari View Post
    Didn't want to blow HBC up on the forum. If it was a much larger company I would have done this immediately. I had his original 2 piece cog. When he came out with a new design I sent an email asking if there was anything wrong with the old design.(aluminum pins) I was that my cog was good and the new design is just better. Turns out that if you had the first generation you were liable to shear the aluminum pins holding the cog together. I found out first hand.

He told me to send him the cog and that he would refit the steel teeth onto a new spline and that he now uses steel pins. I sent the cog on sept 19! It is now december 2nd and I still don't have the cog back. I have sent numerous emails and was told that my product should be shipped the next day and still nothing.

I own a small landscaping company. If I do work for someone and they have a complaint I go and try to fix the issue as fast as I can. So it is hard to understand how someones broken part does not go to the top of the list. I really wanted to like this guy but I think I stick to surly cogs from now on.
    Sorry Jack, you got me there, i totally dropped the ball on your cog. If it's not a new order i often forget. I'll take care of it next week for sure, it is ready.

Jul 2006
    How about my time wait. I ordered and paid for a 34 black front ring January 19. Today is December 1 W.T.F.!!!!!!!!!! We've traded e-mails 4 times and I've seen NOTHING!
    As far as i know i don't owe anyone a ring from that far back, shoot me an email as i don't know who you are.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    THIS!!!

I have bought a few gears and a chainring from HBC. I have always been left wondering when (or if) I was going to get my parts. Communications are non-existent with Dan. Both times I ordered parts, after 5 weeks, I e-mailed repeatedly to find ask what the hold up was. Never a response. This is poor customer service, plain and simple.
    Ignoring concerned customers is not a sustainable business strategy.

Give an accurate time table for delivery of parts. The 2 - 3 weeks stated on the website is not accurate.
    Respond to e-mails within a reasonable time.
    Schedule a time period every day to respond to e-mails. 20 - 30 minutes a day should be completely doable.
    for a handfull or people out of hundreds per month, i do fall behind, and i'm working on that. I just purchased another mill and i also quadrupled my anodizing capacity.
    it'll be straightened out, although i realize for some of you it's too late, and i'm sorry about that. i never intended to drop the ball.

Jul 2006

Erik is a local friend of mine and took a blem cog i had, he was just busting my balls because he reads all this drama.

Jul 2006
    Four months? Why would anyone else be in front of you if you've been waiting four months? Paid. Cash in the bank. Guarantee it's already been spent. Dude needs to nut up and ship the product, contact the customer who is REPEATEDLY trying to keep contact on the DL, or give his money back. Which goes back to the point...it's already spent.

Poor
    Business
    Model

Jesse
    You don't even know the situation.
    Scott (the original poster) purchased a chainring from me. decided he didn't like the color and took it apon him self to send it back along with $20 to purchase a cog. i was unaware of this until i got an email asking about the cog. I had assumed it may be around somewhere because i have a habbit of setting stuff aside, but i checked this place many times over and it's not here. I didn't just take his order and never send it like you're implying.

Jul 2006
    And sorry for all this drama everyone, i should have logged on a little sooner. i've been a garage rat lately trying to get stuff done so i don't get totally burried. I had to juggle making parts and moving a mill in which required a few tries with the machinery layout to squeeze it in there. I'm sure you're sick of hearing that..

nothing to see here
    Just lightening the mood a little, but it was cool seeing your bling in this vid Dan.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    You don't even know the situation.
    Scott (the original poster) purchased a chainring from me. decided he didn't like the color and took it apon him self to send it back along with $20 to purchase a cog. i was unaware of this until i got an email asking about the cog. I had assumed it may be around somewhere because i have a habbit of setting stuff aside, but i checked this place many times over and it's not here. I didn't just take his order and never send it like you're implying.
    I do know the situation, more than most think. I interact with this dude pretty much daily and I've had to hear the b*tching about it for months. Please don't act so innocent about it, you told him AWHILE ago that you'd check around. Then when he posts up on your page regarding the shenanigans, you DELETE the post and STILL don't respond to him. That's messed up dude, your story doesn't add up. I'm out.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

one chain loop
    i don't think Dan need to waste time and explain himself to a non-customer. just saying.

Jul 2006
    I do know the situation, more than most think. I interact with this dude pretty much daily and I've had to hear the b*tching about it for months. Please don't act so innocent about it, you told him AWHILE ago that you'd check around. Then when he posts up on your page regarding the shenanigans, you DELETE the post and STILL don't respond to him. That's messed up dude, your story doesn't add up. I'm out.
    put yourself in my shoes, someone claims they sent you $20 and merchandise, no tracking info produced, no clearifying that it was ok to send it back, nothing. No sight of it anywhere, i wasted way too much time looking for it. Claims he sent back cash, so no way to cancel the payment and at least resend that. One time he said he sent $50, one time he said he sent $20. He seems like a nice enough guy from what little dealings i've had with him, but i think anyone would be a little aprehensive about sending free stuff, $50 is a lot of money to me as well.
    As for deleting the message, i delete all messages, it had nothing to do with him. There wasn't even anything bad in the message, i don't really see what i would have gained by that in this situation. I delete visitor messages on here because don't want people to get the impression that's an ok way to ask me status updates or get ahold of me as i really don't have time to log on here everyday or week for that matter, and keeping up on emails is hard enough as it is (we all know how awesome i am at that). I had intended to email him after i looked for it, but nothing turned up and i was a bit torn on what to do, and eventually got sidetracked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ugh, i guess i should log on more often.
    Scott,
    Sorry, but i never found anything, and you didnt even verify with me if it was ok to send it back. There was no tracking or anything from you, so i'm just to assume you sent me a chainring and 20 dollars cash? I'll send you a cog, but i'm really eating $50 here...
    This was my second order from you Dan, the first CR and cog came in a deep blue as pictured on your site. The second CR and cog arrived in a turqoise blue, when I contacted you I was infromed that was your new blue and that it matched components better BUT you also stated you would try to re anno it for me but with no promises of the final color outcome which was fine by me. Unfortunatley it seems any contact with you about returning the CR was impossible as multiple emails over a couple months were unanswered, that is when as you put it "I took it upon myself to return it". As I originally explained these items are going on a custom SS build with King components, the turqoise could be, and was hidden in the cog department but the CR would have stood out like a sore thumb. I have a Delivery confirmation from usps to the address these items originally came from as I never recieved instructions from you on the return. You have a great product Dan, a simple courtesy reply would deter these types of drama. I understand the implications of responding to every impatient request but situations such as mine as the others brought to light surely deserve some type of corospondence after months of waiting. Do you still have my address? If not where can I forward it to?

mtbr member

Business 101

There's no such thing as a non-customer in business. There are customers and potential customers and response to either is of equal importance, but better through pm instead of a open forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    i don't think Dan need to waste time and explain himself to a non-customer. just saying.

one chain loop
    so you are saying that it is okay for anyone to bash your business without having a first hand experience with it. am i entitled to say that your powdercoat finish is crap? no, because it is part of business etiquette 101 too.

mtbr member
    it'll be straightened out, although i realize for some of you it's too late, and i'm sorry about that. i never intended to drop the ball.
    Not too late for me
    I will continue to order parts from HBC. Good quality components made to order.
    I look at it like ordering anything custom made - its not going to be cheap and its not going to be quick.

A quick thought -
    A shop I used to do side work at had a college student come in on Saturdays to handle some admin work. They did not pay her much, maybe $100 for the day and she took care of almost all the paperwork they needed. You might be able to work out a similar situation to help you stay caught up on e-mails. That would leave you with happier customers and more time at the mill

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Not too late for me
    I will continue to order parts from HBC. Good quality components made to order.
    I look at it like ordering anything custom made - its not going to be cheap and its not going to be quick.

A quick thought -
    A shop I used to do side work at had a college student come in on Saturdays to handle some admin work. They did not pay her much, maybe $100 for the day and she took care of almost all the paperwork they needed. You might be able to work out a similar situation to help you stay caught up on e-mails. That would leave you with happier customers and more time at the mill
    I do appreciate the support, especially since it appears you fell victim to my crappy email correspondance too, sorry about that.
    As for the problem...
    As awesome as it would be to hire someone for the office and no mater how many times i've thought about it, i just can't do it, for several reasons. One being the actual emails don't consume the time, it's the looking up the order details and seeing where i'm at with them, and figuring out the schedule over the next 2 weeks or whatever to give an estimate on when they'll go out. Chances are that guess will be wrong because material is often on backorder and is hard to get, tools break, scrap parts happen, etc. It's just not that easy, and noone else can really figure that out for me. Trying to teach someone (out of about 1500 different product options) what material is for what parts, what bolt pattern is what, what spline is what (most look VERY similar), 1/8" or 3/32", etc. would prove to be damn near impossible and not worth it unless they were permenant (unlikely if the hours are short). This means all they'd really be good for is sending an email but they'd have to ask me everytime what to send, and i'm back to square one again. And besides that, paying someone isn't in the cards right now. There's not a ton of manufacturers getting rich in the cycling industry unfortunately.

The best solution i have at this point was getting a second mill. This does several things for me. First is, i have a backup mill in case one goes down. That's huge because that has caused or partially caused a few major setbacks in getting stuff out the door since the beginning of HBC.
    The second thing it does is allow me to run both mill operations simutaneously on chainrings, effectively cutting production time in half. Coupled with the increased anodizing capacity recently, that should help a lot.
    The new mill also has a 5th axis, which could potentially dramatically decrease the cycle time on the last mill operation.
    Also, i'm cutting some products out that haven't been as popular, like nut tuggers. They are no longer offered on the site, and i may get rid of some bolt patterns that are also not ordered as frequently. This should streamline stuff a lot. I realize that sucks for some people, but i won't cut anything that isn't offered by anyone else.
    The new mill is finally in the shop and in place, but there's still a bit of work to do to get it going plus fixturing that has to be made for it, which is where i've been the last few weeks. I'm aiming to have it running by the new year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This is just a generalization and not directed at anyone in particular. Owning a business in the bike industry and bashing another business in the same industry reeks of small time. Especially when you are not even a customer or have even bought or used their product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I wasn't either. Now that I've been waiting 11 months when do you think I should worry?

Not sure your story adds up. At the two month mark I would be sending an email to sales@homebrewedcomponents.com every day until it got ironed out, as well as proof of your order and payment. I know I get a copy of my order emailed to me, and a PayPal statement.

Maybe you need to try the route, unless you have already done that. If you have, write it off!

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive View Post
    Not sure your story adds up. At the two month mark I would be sending an email to sales@homebrewedcomponents.com every day until it got ironed out, as well as proof of your order and payment. I know I get a copy of my order emailed to me, and a PayPal statement.

Maybe you need to try the route, unless you have already done that. If you have, write it off!
    He brought this up to the first of my knowledge 2 months ago, and i replied to him here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/8517074-post158.html

Like i said to him, i have nothing even remotely close to that old on record as not shipped so he should email me because it may have gotten lost in transit or it slipped through the cracks somewhere. He never did. I have no clue who the guy is so there's nothing i can do about it until he emails me again.
    There's a chance he missed that post so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dan, do you need my mailing address?

Jul 2006
    nope, all set.

Not dead yet, just playin
    Also, i'm cutting some products out that haven't been as popular, like nut tuggers. They are no longer offered on the site...
    Well hell....that's what I get for procrastinating. I'll be sending an email in hopes there's a pair left...
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum View Post
    Well hell....that's what I get for procrastinating. I'll be sending an email in hopes there's a pair left...
    LOL!! I was just thinking the exact same thing!

Apr 2007
    I'm hoping this is the final season of mtbr 90210

openwound
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    word.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Not the final season, maybe the final episode for this season (we still have 27 days to get through though)

And how boring would llife be without all this drama? The only thing missing is some drunken curse laden rant from Umarth.

mtbr member
    Maybe not OK, but I believe in freedom of speech, even if they're talking out their ass. The point I was get across is these matters have no place in a open forum in the first place.

And I guess you are entitled to say my powder-coat finish is crap, After all you did, and if it
    were powder-coat that I applied I'd agree with you

This is the second day of cold rainy weather here in the Heartland. Too much time in the house on the computer I think

Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    so you are saying that it is okay for anyone to bash your business without having a first hand experience with it. am i entitled to say that your powdercoat finish is crap? no, because it is part of business etiquette 101 too.

singletrack bound
    where the heck has Umarth been?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Genshammer View Post
    Okay, so people have emailed him, messaged him on MTBR, posted on MTBR, went to his website, went to Facebook, went to SOPWAMTOS....

Here's a thought....has anyone actually tried CALLING him?
    I have never ever had an issue with HBC delivering whatever it was that I ordered (several separate orders of various cogs and chainrings), but just FYI, ...there is no phone number listed on the contact page: Contact Us

Nor anywhere else that I could see on the website.

So if you suggest that someone who has a problem should try calling...how do they do that? The only phone number that is listed on HBC's website is for a distributor in Japan...
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member

Good job!

Also, i'm cutting some products out that haven't been as popular, like nut tuggers. They are no longer offered on the site, and i may get rid of some bolt patterns that are also not ordered as frequently. This should streamline stuff a lot. I realize that sucks for some people, but i won't cut anything that isn't offered by anyone else.
    So does this mean I need to stock up on 102 BCD rings for my XTR 960 mod ASAP??

I'm still patiently waiting for my first one to show...and I'm cool with it.

But if you're going to drop the 102 BCD I may as well order a bunch now...

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ljracer View Post
    So does this mean I need to stock up on 102 BCD rings for my XTR 960 mod ASAP??

I'm still patiently waiting for my first one to show...and I'm cool with it.

But if you're going to drop the 102 BCD I may as well order a bunch now...
    na, those are safe, i have a soft spot for those since they've been one of my go-to's for many years. I'm thinking more like larger 80bcd rings since they don't clear many frames anyways. Maybe the radial design cogs, just keep the 5 spoke design.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    He brought this up to the first of my knowledge 2 months ago, and i replied to him here:

Like i said to him, i have nothing even remotely close to that old on record as not shipped so he should email me because it may have gotten lost in transit or it slipped through the cracks somewhere. He never did. I have no clue who the guy is so there's nothing i can do about it until he emails me again.
    There's a chance he missed that post so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that.
    Not doubting you Dan, I am doubting the other guy. His story seems to have a few holes in it.

mtbr member
    I should know better than to comment in one of these threads, but here it goes.

Your business seems to be booming. Why not build for stock rather than per order? Seems like you could stock the more common stuff and build the odd ball stuff per order. This is based on the assumption that you already don't. Seems like I read that you don't stock anything.

And the few emails I've sent to HBC have always been returned promptly.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I should know better than to comment in one of these threads, but here it goes.

Your business seems to be booming. Why not build for stock rather than per order? Seems like you could stock the more common stuff and build the odd ball stuff per order. This is based on the assumption that you already don't. Seems like I read that you don't stock anything.

And the few emails I've sent to HBC have always been returned promptly.
    I do that for certain items where it makes sense. I do plan on that once the new mill is up and running, however i don't want to pump out a bunch of 32t 104bcd rings when only a handfull of them are sold and people are waiting for their stuff. when i'm ahead of schedule and have free machine time then i'll be making extras of the popular stuff.

Apr 2007
    I actually like the fact the rings and cogs are made to order. That way, I can get some e-cred when I lay out the specs on my bike with "custom" chainring/cog bits. If ISAR starts to stock pile a certain ring/cog, I'll go out of my way to get non-mainstream stuff so mine will still be made to order. Just like when I head into McD'a and order the 1/4lb'er with no ketchup, so I know that mess will be made fresh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just like when I head into McD'a and order the 1/4lb'er with no ketchup, so I know that mess will be made fresh.
    I hope you enjoy spit.

Apr 2007
    Guess I'll have to make sure you're not working when I go.

On your left!!!!!

Do you have an order number?

Jan 19, 2011 Payment To
    daniel wilcox
    Completed Details Payment To daniel wilcox 9VD6933033870950M -$39.95 USD Just checking.

wow, Iím sorry about that, for some reason it never made it on my list. I have one in stock I can anodize and ship for you this weekend.
    Thanks,
    Dan

This is the e-mail you sent me on march 18.
    Coming up on 5 months and still no ring.

Lead times can be up to a month. It should go out shortly.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Dude, Look at the date. I ordered and paid for this 7 MONTHS AGO!!!!! You told me in an e-mail on march 18 th i would have it in a week or two.

Sorry, I just saw j and 19, I thought it was July 19th. I wish you contacted me earlier, Itís too late for me to file a claim now. Iíll see if I can get another one out to you shortly.

So let me get this right. If i don't wait long enough I'm Impatient and If I wait too long I'm an Idiot.

Jul 2006
    Do you have an order number?

Jan 19, 2011 Payment To
    daniel wilcox
    Completed Details Payment To daniel wilcox 9VD6933033870950M -$39.95 USD Just checking.

wow, Iím sorry about that, for some reason it never made it on my list. I have one in stock I can anodize and ship for you this weekend.
    Thanks,
    Dan

This is the e-mail you sent me on march 18.
    Coming up on 5 months and still no ring.

Lead times can be up to a month. It should go out shortly.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Dude, Look at the date. I ordered and paid for this 7 MONTHS AGO!!!!! You told me in an e-mail on march 18 th i would have it in a week or two.

Sorry, I just saw j and 19, I thought it was July 19th. I wish you contacted me earlier, Itís too late for me to file a claim now. Iíll see if I can get another one out to you shortly.

So let me get this right. If i don't wait long enough I'm Impatient and If I wait too long I'm an Idiot.
    Did i say you were an idiot? It was just too late to file a claim with USPS, that is all i meant.
    Do you want a refund or the ring, now that i know who you are. And you ordered a 36t, not 34t.

mtbr member

Dead Thread

Reads like you have reason for being frustrated. I hope you and Dan can take this private now to iron a solution of mutual satisfaction. If on the odd chance you don't, then you can always revive this threads ugly head for all to know. BTW never thought you were a impatient idiot, who said that??

I wish everyone to have a Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year

On your left!!!!!
    Did i say you were an idiot? It was just too late to file a claim with USPS, that is all i meant.
    Do you want a refund or the ring, now that i know who you are. And you ordered a 36t, not 34t.
    Refund.

Ovaries on the Outside
    ****ing ****, I wish I wasn't so busy that I couldn't make fun of the ISAR haters. Now I just look like I'm jumping on the jizz-laden bandwagon.

It goes like this- your opinion of Herman Cain really rests of how much he molested you. In my experience, ISAR has communicated well, even hilariously, to my emails. That might be because I am awesome and the rest of you are pathetic, whining shitheads, but that is another curse laden post that I certainly don't have time to deal with, as I have a beer that needs consumption.

As I was saying, you guys kinda suck. ISAR is amazing because he makes a nice product, delivers it on a decent time scale and he isn't shipping from ****ing China. If the BBB has to be involved with this thread, it should be to bring up a lawsuit for the **** suckers who get butthurt because they are the tards.

Look at it this way, ass****s, when you go drive to work, a million people piss you off. Kinda like forums, where there are a ton of butt humpers who think it is their god honored, government protected right to be *******s. So please, please, realize, that you are the drivers that piss people off. Get upset that ISAR doesn't blow your cog or analdize it. Just don't post it here. Channel it into some angry masturbation and leave us the **** alone.

I look forward to the negative rep.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    "jizz-laden bandwagon"

That image will stick with me all day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    "jizz-laden bandwagon"

Hmm, I actually found that description to be vague and amiguous. I could either read it as a bandwagon just took part in some strange musical-transportation-fetish bukkake session and is now covered in jizz, OR i could read it as a wagon which was originalyl used to transport musicians but has now been pressed into service to containers filled with jizz and is transporting them somewhere (that would be a lot of jizz to require a wagon to transport them).

On your left!!!!!
    Refund.
    Thank you very much for the refund. In the end Dan makes it right. I now will STFU as someone so nicely asked me to do in a post a few days ago.

banned
    I now will STFU

Applause.

singletrack bound
    I think Umarth has just changed the direction of this thread!

+ reps for Umarth....

U-da-man!

Tone~

The Angry Singlespeeder

Best buddy?

umarth, will you be my new best friend?
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Hmm, I actually found that description to be vague and amiguous. I could either read it as a bandwagon just took part in some strange musical-transportation-fetish bukkake session and is now covered in jizz, OR i could read it as a wagon which was originalyl used to transport musicians but has now been pressed into service to containers filled with jizz and is transporting them somewhere (that would be a lot of jizz to require a wagon to transport them).
    I think the wagon is heading to the "Planet Of Women" !

Planet Of Women Lyrics - Zz Top

singletrack bound

Oh

I may be in possession of a sram 10 spd cassette today!
    tell me no....no....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    ****ing ****, I wish I wasn't so busy that I couldn't make fun of the ISAR haters. Now I just look like I'm jumping on the jizz-laden bandwagon.

As I was saying, you guys kinda suck. ISAR is amazing......butthurt tards.

ass****s, ton of butt humpers........................

Thread is now complete. No need for any more replys. Life can now go on. Thanks umarth

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    "jizz-laden bandwagon"

[Immature innuendo]

Quote Originally Posted by Genshammer View Post
    umarth, will you be my new best friend?
    Umarth is my ex-bff. If you want umarth, you'll have to go through me first!
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    [Immature innuendo]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uwAtifCoB3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    I cannot believe that I just read every post on this thread. I couldnt get away from it. Crazy8, love the CERAMIC coated cranks brother, they are not crappy. Pretty happy with the HBC stuff as well. Now everyone go forth and ride your damn bikes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast