mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hey all you King Users out there

I'm planning on ordering a King Wheelset through my LBS in the next few days. Work came through with some nice cash awards that are burning a hole in my pocket and they'll take the sting out of the overall price.

I guess I'm suffering from post-purchase anxiety a little early and I just need to hear from y'all to let me know that these hubs are everything they are cracked up to be.

banned
    Apr 2004

The holy grail,

Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    I'm planning on ordering a King Wheelset through my LBS in the next few days. Work came through with some nice cash awards that are burning a hole in my pocket and they'll take the sting out of the overall price.

I guess I'm suffering from post-purchase anxiety a little early and I just need to hear from y'all to let me know that these hubs are everything they are cracked up to be.
    I can only imagine.
    Pull the trigger.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004

Have had 3 sets

Never any problems. If you don't like the noise start pedaling.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    haha that used to happen to me all the time in winter. I have a pretty old hub-set though.

peeing on the rear hub would actually work as long as the temps weren't too cold, but the real problem was indeed too heavy (or dirty) lubricant inside the hub. after i fixed that, nary a problem again!

in spite of that, i definitely reccommend the hubs. i am notorious for not maintaining equipment (i'd rather ride than wrench) and my hubs are still tip-top after nearly ten years.

another big plus for the king hubs is the fast freewheel engagement. i hate riding cheap hubs anymore, the gap between freewheeling and engagement drives me up the fawking wall.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by drm
    Never any problems. If you don't like the noise start pedaling.
    I wasn't complaining about the noise, just how mine reacted in really cold weather. How often does it get below freezing in Orangevale?

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I wasn't complaining about the noise, just how mine reacted in really cold weather. How often does it get below freezing in Orangevale?
    Wasn't beating on ya. Just making the obligatory King Hub pedal harder comment.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Hmm. As one of those who has had problems (in addition to the ones in the linked post above, which weren't serious), I would still recommend them. I had to borrow a wheel in the middle of a solo 24hr recently. The borrowed hub was XTR and I couldn't believe how inferior the engagement felt compared to the King.
    Wibble

cut like the fog.

Love mine...

I may get flamed, but they have been more durable than my Phil Wood set...Really.

b.

Out spokin'

Do it

I love King hubs. Got 'em on three bikes. They are easy to service and built to last.

I used to hose my bike down last winter after each weekly night ride (light spray, honest, but evidently not light enough...) and a bearing seized in the rear hub. I followed King's instructions for disassembling the bearing seal, then I cleaned and repacked the bearing, then reinstalled the totally reusable seal. I could hardly believe it -- the bearing ran as smooth as new, and that is smooooth, brutha. It went from siezed to like new that fast and that easy. The experience was refreshing. I love King's elegant yet simple metal bearing seal clips. Now that's the way all cassette bearings ought to be.

--Sparty

I'm ... suffering from post-purchase anxiety a little early and I just need to hear from y'all to let me know that these hubs are everything they are cracked up to be.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    you won't regret the purchase. i've got the SS hubs, and a rear Universal Disc. i am quite happy.

mtbr member

Get them

I got 3 ss sets (2 on bikes + backup 8^)), 2 iso sets on mtn bikes (wife + me), 1 iso for cx (put on my spot sometimes) and 1 set of classics (wife). Love them, no xmax for me.

banned
    Apr 2004

but if you never had steak

Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    Hmm. As one of those who has had problems (in addition to the ones in the linked post above, which weren't serious), I would still recommend them. I had to borrow a wheel in the middle of a solo 24hr recently. The borrowed hub was XTR and I couldn't believe how inferior the engagement felt compared to the King.
    you wouldn't miss it.

Out spokin'

but if you never had p.u.s.s.y..........

..........you would miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    you wouldn't miss it.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.