Help with Trek Superfly SS sizing.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Help with Trek Superfly SS sizing.....

I'm 5'11ish, 31 inseam, 18.5 or 19.5? any superfly owners any help appreciated. Im thinking the 18.5.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneroy View Post
    I'm 5'11ish, 31 inseam, 18.5 or 19.5? any superfly owners any help appreciated. Im thinking the 18.5.

Personally, I would go with the bigger frame, you spend so much time standing, you will appreciate the longer TT.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I dunno, these things are super sensitive to weight distribution, and you don't want your weight too far forward. Don't want it too far back either, you need to be able to weight or unweight the front end with a minimum of fuss. So ideally you'll have the cockpit set up so you're right on that edge, where just a minimum weight shift will get you there. I think that's a lot easier to accomplish with a frame that's a bit too small, than one that's a bit too big. If you're tall enough for a setback seat post, you're barking up the right tree. Thing is, if you get your butt in the right position you can mess around with the stem and make it perfect. However if your butt is too far forward, you pretty much have to raise or shorten your stem to get your balance right, and then you're gonna have a hard time keeping the front tire on the ground when climbing.

Main thing to remember though is you gotta be able to unweight the front end, need to be able to ride comfortably with your weight on your fanny and a light touch on the bars. Hold em like two little birds, just tight enough so they don't fly away. That and tubeless/low pressure tires, and that thing'll sail over bumps like a big cadillac. Otherwise you're gonna beat yourself to death. Get out there in the parking lot and see how easy it is to hop a curb. Shoot, see if you can wheelie the thing. If it's too hard, try the next size down.

Make em deliver the bike tubeless, don't even bother having them put inner tubes in there, it ruins the handling.

Also, ditch the handlebars immediately. If you must have flat bars, think about carbon. Although IMO Jones bars really bring out the best in this bike, call him and he'll help you set them up. Get the extra chunky grips and pay any price to have them put on for you. Titanium Jones Bars would be absolute bliss. If you have to go with the stock bars, get ergon grips and glue those suckers on. (I suffered so you don't have to.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks tampadave, great advice and tips throughout, and all of what you said makes sense on the 18.5. thanks buddy

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just picked one up. I am 5'11" with 32"-33" inseam. Went 19.5. Trek sizing is a bit smaller. Very glad I went 19.5. Very similar to a 19" monocog flight. Not too long g at all as the stem is pretty short.
    Good luck. Great bike. Really handles well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just got one this past weekend... I'm just shy of 5'10" with a 34" inseam and I went with a 18.5. Felt good on the little ride I did, I'll see tomorrow when I race short track on it. I ride a 19 women' specific hardtail, so it seems like 18.5 was probably appropriate (I'm a typical female proportion, though, all legs with no torso, ha!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I just got one this past weekend... I'm just shy of 5'10" with a 34" inseam and I went with a 18.5. Felt good on the little ride I did, I'll see tomorrow when I race short track on it. I ride a 19 women' specific hardtail, so it seems like 18.5 was probably appropriate (I'm a typical female proportion, though, all legs with no torso, ha!)
    What length stem are you thinking about running?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    What length stem are you thinking about running?
    Whatever it came with feels just fine so far! I raced short track last night and bike felt great... I guess I'll see more when I get on some real trails.

Got a suspension fork
    I'm guessing you'd want the 18.5. I'm a little under 5'10" and the 17.5 fits me very well. Not sure how much you SS, but for me, I kind of look at sizing a SS more like an all mountain bike, you're moving it around a lot more and a little smaller suits me better.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and a 35" inseam. The 18.5 did not fit me, the post at full extension was not high enough so I had to go 19.5". I prefer to ride smaller bikes because I like them to be more nimble. My Med Karate Monkey has similar geometry to the 18.5, but the seattube just wasn't long enough.

Dirt Bound
    5'11" 33 inseam. After checking out a co-workers 18.5 I got the 19.5. It's a freakin hoot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Advice for 6.2" rider?

Was looking at the 21.5 (20.5 actual)

Rev