Help- Surly 1x1 26 or monocog 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Help- Surly 1x1 26 or monocog 29er?

I have a misfit SS which is great, but a bit too stiff for my back. I have two ideas, one is get a surly 1x1 steel frame (used) or two, buy a new monocog 29er.
    staying 26 is easier in some respects, and i will run it with a vanilla, which i prefer. If I get the monocog, I will eventually have to spring for a reba of other fork.
    What are ppl's thoughts- is the surly comfortable enough, or should i go for 29er? thanks all.

hands up who wants to die
    You really need to ride a 29er to determine whether you will like it or not. There are zillions of debates that you can find via Search on this site, but only you can really decide about how it feels.

I suggest you ride any 29er and make your decision... then go from there as to whether the Monocog is the right 29 frame for you.

I had a Monocog 26", but would take a Surly frame instead if price isn't a question.

Surly + vanilla sounds yummy to me!

Is your current SS rigid? If you're already running a suspension fork on your current bike, switching to a steel frame isn't going to make a giant difference in how comfortable you are (assuming the back pain is from the trail and not from bike fit).

-rob
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

new bike is always good, but...

would you consider a thud on your existing bike? I really like my thud ST.

mtbr member
    best of both worlds? depending on your size of course. having said that i think you will get off cheaper buying a monocog 29er and suspension fork rather than builing up a 1x1 from scratch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

elaborated

I should have ellaborated - The misfit is a stiff alluminum frame. I run it with a vanilla, which would be transfered to the surly. I also use a TI seatpost, which is nice, but doesnt help the feet.

Also, I have ridden a friends 29er, and i like it. It was too large for me, thus a bit uncomfortable. (felt like a kid ridding my parents bike)
    thanks all
    Last edited by icenoir; 01-27-2006 at 09:35 AM.

Recovering couch patato
    Redlines have a relatively long top tube. You'd probably get one in an inch smaller nominal size than the 1x1. In total, that's 2.4" of seatube, your seatpost will offer more cush. The Redline takes 26.8mm, BTW.
    29" does add comfort and control. With a nice swept handlebar (Jones H-Bar is still the favorite) you may just get enough comfort for your upper body.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Sofa King We Todd Did
    The IRO Mia is another steel frameset (disc only) that can accomodate 26" and 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Decided On Redline

Thanks for the advice, decided to go with brand new monocog rather than used salsa. Hubs are improved, will switch out to disks, and get a fork later in the year. Anyone want a like-new misfit?

Members who have read this thread: 0