Help with a possibble SS build!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Help with a possibble SS build!!!!

Please be patient as you read this. I am sure all of these questions have been asked before, but the search button has been little help.

I just got back into this great sport after a 10 year break. 2 months ago I broke out my late 90's GT Avalanche and started pedaling again. With training and diet I have lost 20 pounds and started to get my bike legs back under me. I wanted to ride the GT for a bit to start getting conditioned before buying a more modern bike. Well, today I found a deal on a new FS that I couldnít pass up.

So while at the LBS I start looking at this killer pavement SS and I comment to the tech how cool it is. He says thanks, it's mine. Proceeds to give me all the benefit of SS and just how cool it is. Even has dirt SS. Needles to say, I immediately decided I want to build one. Now I have this old GT and figure I would try it as a starter for around town.

Here is where you SS gurus come in:

Late 90's GT Avalanche, LX/XT group, 26" Mavic wheels, Cantilever LX brakes.

Is this aluminum frame even worth trying to SS, or is it to rigid?

The shop showed me an SS conversion with a tensnior. Is this the way to go for a beginner until I get ratios figured out?

How do I convert the front 3 chain rings to a single? Spacers?

Can I utilize the XT cranks and just remove the remaining 2 chain rings?

I guess what I am asking is, how do I build a SS on the cheap with the existing set up I have now?

I want to use this thing around town/urban and to cruise with my wife along the beach trail. She just got her first new bike today and I donít feel I need to drag out the new FS AM to go on a cruise.

Thanks guys

Scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If it has vertical dropouts, you'll pretty much have to use a tensioner unless you can get a magic gear, which is probably not worth the effort for you right now.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Is this aluminum frame even worth trying to SS, or is it to rigid?
    i adore my aluminum SS.

The shop showed me an SS conversion with a tensnior. Is this the way to go for a beginner until I get ratios figured out?
    either need a tensioner, an elliptical rear wheel hub, or to find the magic gear.
    tensioner's cheapest and easiest (and you can convert an old derailer if you want), elliptical is really expensive and probably not worth it for you, and finding the magic gear can take a lot of ring/cog variations before you get it dead on. if you have some old gears laying around, or know someone that does...that may work. otherwise it could add up in price pretty quick.

How do I convert the front 3 chain rings to a single? Spacers?

Can I utilize the XT cranks and just remove the remaining 2 chain rings?
    yes. shouldn't need spacers. just take the small & large ones off, and leave the middle.

I guess what I am asking is, how do I build a SS on the cheap with the existing set up I have now?
    remove excess chain rings. take off derailers/shifters. buy a spacer kit with a tensioner (some lbs's have them, some don't)....take off cassette, install spacer/tensioner. ride.
    pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the info guys....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    nomit hit pretty much everything on the head...you shouldn't really have any problems with regards to the rigidity...beach trails aren't all that demanding ;oP

you can try a search for magic ratio and you bike frame to see if anyone may have done some legwork already...sometimes a single half link can get you there.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    As far as the crank, you'll either need to run a bash guard or use shorter chain ring bolts when you loose the big ring and the granny.

Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    As far as the crank, you'll either need to run a bash guard or use shorter chain ring bolts when you loose the big ring and the granny.
    if you flip the middle chainring 180 degrees so the nuts sit on the outside and don't fall into the countersink, the same bolts should work.

Members who have read this thread: 0