Help with Niner Air 9 bottom bracket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Help with Niner Air 9 bottom bracket

I have a 2013 Niner Air 9 Alu and I have a SRAM GXP crank on it. I am currently just using a Surly tensioner and would like to switch to a EBB to clean things up a bit.

Everything I have read looks like I only have a few options since it is a PF30 BB.

Am I correct that I cannot use the Biocentric II EBB as that only fits CYA frames?

Niner has a PF30 version but I can't find it anywhere and it is $140

Other options seem to be:

Origin 8 PF30 to GXP EBB for about $55 (if anyone has experience with this one it would be great if you could tell me how it is working)

Wheels Mfg PF30 to GXP EBB for about $100. Enduro bearings, but one poster said that it doesn't work well with GXP because of a gap? Anyone care to agree or disagree?

BEER PF30 to GXP for $160 which is more money than I want to spend

Keep it how it is and save money for something else for $0

I also do not want to use a eccentric hub as that is also pricey.

If there are any other ways to get a cleaner look I would love to hear them.

Thanks for the replies
    Last edited by yourrealdad; 07-11-2016 at 04:36 PM.

mtbr member

Been there...my experience:

To my knowledge, the Biocentirc will not work. I ordered a Problem Solvers e46 eccentirc BB for a conversion. While the quality of the unti was nice, the tolerances between the E46 and the frame's BB shell left somethig to be desired. Not snug enough. I returned it before install.

Then I dorked out a bit trying to find a magic gear. Best i got was 34x16, with an 8 speed SRAM chain and all full links.

Some of the options you mention below are not going to help with a SS conversion (Origin 8, Wheels Mfg.).

Moral...if you want to go SS on that frame, you will spend some money and time fiddling about. Once you get it, it will be great, though.

Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    I have a 2013 Niner Air 9 Alu and I have a SRAM GXP crank on it. I am currently just using a Surly tensioner and would like to switch to a EBB to clean things up a bit.

Everything I have read looks like I only have a few options since it is a PF30 BB.

Am I correct that I cannot use the Biocentric II EBB as that only fits CYA frames?

Niner has a PF30 version but I can't find it anywhere and it is $140

Other options seem to be:

Origin 8 PF30 to GXP EBB for about $55 (if anyone has experience with this one it would be great if you could tell me how it is working)

Wheels Mfg PF30 to GXP EBB for about $100. Enduro bearings, but one poster said that it doesn't work well with GXP because of a gap? Anyone care to agree or disagree?

BEER PF30 to GXP for $160 which is more money than I want to spend

Keep it how it is and save money for something else for $0

I also do not want to use a eccentric hub as that is also pricey.

If there are any other ways to get a cleaner look I would love to hear them.

Thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Why wouldn't the Origin8 and Wheels mfg work? I thought that was the whole point of a EBB?

mtbr member
    I don't think those are EBBs? If they are, I apologize.

If not, they will not allow you to tension the chain...they will just allow you to mount a crankset.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah they are both EBBs. They are two bolt designs like the Niner but with the bearing as a part of the EBB like the BEER version

mtbr member
    My bad...sorry. I had only seen them as PF30 to 24mm spindle adapters.

I would give the O8 a shot...relatively cheap. I was not impressed with the tolerances of the Problem Solvers e46. Especially for the price.

Good luck! I ended up going back to steel and got a Sir 9. SS has been good on that bike...a little heavier than the air 9, but still very nice.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah I might go steel down the road, but would really like a lightweight frame with sliding dropouts or horizontal. Seems to be pretty hard to find.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have tried the wheels mfg and the niner pf30 ebb. The niner one was by far my favorite. it comes with all the hardware to convert the gxp crank to work with it (this is critical) and it has been flawless since. i also like that it uses angular contact bearings, its been on a bike that i ride 3-4 times a week and its still going strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    I have a Niner Biocentric 30 that fits PF30 frames that I don't need any more. PM me and let's make a deal...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I know I am late to the party here- just thought I would add that I just finished building an Air9 as SS. I utilized the Origin8 EBB (PF30 to GXP) and it has worked out really well especially for $55. That said I will probably get the Niner Biocentric 30 eventually- not really because I feel I will need to but more just will want to.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tatuowen View Post
    I know I am late to the party here- just thought I would add that I just finished building an Air9 as SS. I utilized the Origin8 EBB (PF30 to GXP) and it has worked out really well especially for $55. That said I will probably get the Niner Biocentric 30 eventually- not really because I feel I will need to but more just will want to.
    How did your Origin8 EBB fit into your Air9? Mine slid right in and was loose.
    Is this how it is supposed to be? I carbo gripped it , but I think it was so loose that it wont do much.
    Basically those two tightning bolts are the only thing keeping the EBB in place and that worries me as I feel like I can put out enough torque to move the EBB easily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Let me know if you are looking for the niner bio 30 EBB. I have one that I am no longer using. It has 3 months use... i'd let it go at a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    How did your Origin8 EBB fit into your Air9? Mine slid right in and was loose.
    Is this how it is supposed to be? I carbo gripped it , but I think it was so loose that it wont do much.
    Basically those two tightning bolts are the only thing keeping the EBB in place and that worries me as I feel like I can put out enough torque to move the EBB easily.
    It has worked out very well so far. ... I have had a lot of rides and a couple of races and it has held tight through it all. I am a heavy rider- 260# and hit the pedals pretty hard- and has not budged on me. That said I raced on Saturday and it was incredibly muddy with rain throughout the duration so things got really sloppy especially with several water crossings.

My observation is the sealing could be a bit better as a lot of water made it to the bbkt shell and lots of grime into the bearings. However given the conditions I am not so sure any other would have held up any better. The EBB on my '13 Air9Carbon uses just two bolts as well and the fit is about as snug/loose as with the Origin8 and seems to work equally well. On the Origin8 EBB I ran a wrap of teflon plumbers tape around the interface before installation. I can not remember what I did with the Niner EBB when I installed it in the Carbon- I am thinking I used pipe dope/joint compound instead of tape.