mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Help? My First SS MTB Selection

So I'm looking for an all around SS MTB and I have roughly $500 to spend (new or used). I used to ride BMX and rarely ride parks, but do enjoy DJ, occasional street stuff (playin around on stairs and such), and trails. When I hit the trails I enjoy whippin' the bike around and gettin air (the BMX boy in me). I currently am riding a Kona Shred that I converted to SS but I get eaten on the climbs and flats (could be my gearing or the bike). The Kona is too heavy and I really want a true SS not a convert. I'm getting back into the biking scene and dont know where to start? What do you all suggest for an all around bike that I just wanna play on? Trails? Jump? Some street riding? Thanks for the tips - and if it means anything I'm short at 5'3" so I need to consider that when sizing.

Dive Bomber
    I am 5'4" and using 15.5" 26 MTB and feels great.

Maybe you can get 15" size. SS converted is fine, it's just like ditching the shifters and deraillers.

If you expecting to do stunts like DJ stuffs I think you should get DJ bike since most MTB Hardtail is mainly for XC which is geometricaly not designed for stunts.

With DJ frame you can always higher your seatpost for long range ride or some XC ride.

mtbr member
    I too am a BMX rider (mostly street, some part) but I have been riding my mountain bike more than my bmx bike lately. I also had a nice conversion but i wanted to go to disc brakes and proper single-speed dropouts. So I bought a Redline Monocog last year. it has a stout chromoly frame, rigid chromoly fork, lots of strong parts, and it's ready for disc brakes. it has xc mountain bike geometry but I can bunnyhop it, manual it, etc. I would not be afraid to lower the seat and take it on some mellow jumps or stairs or a pump track.

I was working at a bike shop at the time, so buying stuff discounted was too tempting. if you get a cog, they make a 15" frame with 26" wheels that should be good for you. my only complaint is that they frame is pretty heavy at a little over 6 pounds. I did a lot of upgrades because i could, but most of the parts are decent. the headset sucked, so i replaced that right away and I put clipless pedals and disc brakes on it as major upgrades, although the tekro v-brakes that came stock on it worked very well. all the other upgrades I made were to save weight.

see if you can find one used on craigslist.

The Monocog is really designed as an XC bike though. if you want something more for jumping/street, look in the urban/DJ forum.

mtbr member
    I'd have thought that a Santa Cruz Chameleon would be right up your street

Either the older version with track ends or the newer EBB version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    thanks for the feedback guys. the monocog looks like a strong possibility.

can you get the SC chameleons complete? i checked 'em out and the frame alone was about $600 - I have to try to stick with $600 max new/used. But from my research that looks like the fit!

thanks!

any other thoughts?

p.s. another huge reason for ridding the Kona Shred for something new is its a little large for me....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I picked up a SS Chameleon off ebay a few years ago for just under a grand (bought it in the summer.) I sold it a couple of years later for just under $800 (sold it in the winter.) I think you'd be hard pressed to find a full chameleon for less than $600. I would start looking at craigslist, classifieds, and ebay if the monocog isn't doing it for you....

mtbr member
    Something else worth a thought maybe ?

Kona Cowan...:the sort of geometry that sounds like it would suit you and sliding vertical dropouts. thumbsup:

You'd probably find one for less than a Chameleon too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just old the Kona today. Now the shopping begins. I have to keep close to my budget as I have a big move coming up. I'm digging the monocog (think i'm gunna shy away from a DJ bike for now to stick with more trails and get another BMX bike down the road to play).

Does anything compare to the monocog? the gt peace? the monocog has had raving reviews so far that i've read.

Apr 2007
    I had a monocog. It's a stout bike. Heavy, though. Have you checked out Soul Cycles Hero? Seems like a better fit for what you're looking for.

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't see your budget.

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by quivvy
    I just old the Kona today. Now the shopping begins. I have to keep close to my budget as I have a big move coming up. I'm digging the monocog (think i'm gunna shy away from a DJ bike for now to stick with more trails and get another BMX bike down the road to play).

Does anything compare to the monocog? the gt peace? the monocog has had raving reviews so far that i've read.
    jensonusa has a 15" SE Stout ('09) for $265. if you need a size larger, they have the '10 in 17" and up from $275. from what i remember, they have subtle differences in geo than the monocog. people with the stout are generally happy with them, just like monocog owners. i have a monocog myself and thoroughly enjoy it. good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Members who have read this thread: 0