Help me SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Help me SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Help me SS

Hi SS folks. I need some help. I have a 2006 Cannondale F600 with disc brakes and Shimano X9 shifting systems. I live in a wet and muddy place here in Germany and I gotta say I didn't realize my bike would cost more in repairs than my car: 120 dollars for a new rear deraileur, a new large chain ring, and 60 dollar brake pads! My car is cheaper to fix and with the nasty weather repairs and tune ups are needed more than riding time itself. Im thinking of simplifying my bike and putting rim brakes and single speed. Any thoughts? I don't know how well I will do on my trails since a lot of them are tough to conquer. I thought about keeping my front deraileur and ditching the back or vice versa. If I ditched all of it, what would be a good gear combo to fix? I like to ride in my fifth cog in the rear and shift up front more than pecking away gears. It takes the fun out of the ride. Anybody know some links or good info for me to help me decide. Im sure my first step should be just to ride some trails and not shift to get the feel for it. But if Iike it I need some help with the setup.

Hi!!!
    The SS FAQ to the right:
    http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    If you live in wet and muddy conditions don't ditch the discs for rim brakes. The mud and grit will be far more expensive if you do that (wheelset v. brake pads).

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I also recommend looking at the FAQ.... I run a 32:20 in the forests near Saarbrücken... where are you located?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

N

I also recommend looking at the FAQ.... I run a 32:20 in the forests near Saarbrücken... where are you located?

Guentersleben. I hit part of the Mainwandernweg that goes up to Frankfurt. I just wanna simplify. I thought about puting the shifters on a bike for my wife and going SS. She would only ride road and log roads with me so the damage is unlikely with her. Im hard on my bike so a SS would save me some trouble and money. I wanted to go 2:1 ratio. It puts me slow on flats but better on my climbs

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by flankwood
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Guentersleben. I hit part of the Mainwandernweg that goes up to Frankfurt. I just wanna simplify. I thought about puting the shifters on a bike for my wife and going SS. She would only ride road and log roads with me so the damage is unlikely with her. Im hard on my bike so a SS would save me some trouble and money. I wanted to go 2:1 ratio. It puts me slow on flats but better on my climbs
    Ah... seems we are not "that" far away...

Well.. you can try a couple of gears on your bike and stick to them for a whole ride, just to get you in the ball park of what could work for you... 2:1 is a bit too much for me

Members who have read this thread: 0