mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Help me spend my money!

This is semi-single speed related because the parts will be used while riding my single speed or on my single speed! I am about to get around $100 in amazon credit from text books. I'm considering getting sixsixone knee and elbow guards to help cut down on skinned up and unhappy joints, a thompson stem (stock one is heavy and ugly) or a new set of tires (possibly schwalbe RR in 2.25's, currently running panaracer fire xc's). Which would you pick and why?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    tires are probably the most important upgrade on the bike (and those fire xc's are crap, so anything will help). But, if you feel that you need pads, then definitely go for that. Although going with a tire with somewhat current technology might make you not need the guards as much.

SSOD
    I would also say tires are the best choice, I run the RR tubeless EVO's and like them alot for ss. Unless your current stem twist on your while riding or you need a different angle/ length, I would not spend the money, at this point, on a Thompson stem. Crashing is part of learning and getting better, if your doing xc stuff then you don't need the gear. Instead get a comfortable helmet that breaths well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've got a nice helmet, I didn't realize that most people think so badly on the fire xc's I've never ran anything other than small block eights and those. I'm considering RR in 2.25s, Panaracer Rampage in 2.35, and WTB Exiwolfs in 2.3. 26" wheels. The pads were just an idea after a buddy of mine really messed up his knee when he wiped out this weekend. Rocks + knees dont mix. I was going to get a thompson in the same degree/length as my stock one, the stock one will never break its like 2 pounds of solid aluminum haha.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub
    I've got a nice helmet, I didn't realize that most people think so badly on the fire xc's I've never ran anything other than small block eights and those. I'm considering RR in 2.25s, Panaracer Rampage in 2.35, and WTB Exiwolfs in 2.3. 26" wheels. The pads were just an idea after a buddy of mine really messed up his knee when he wiped out this weekend. Rocks + knees dont mix. I was going to get a thompson in the same degree/length as my stock one, the stock one will never break its like 2 pounds of solid aluminum haha.
    Dont mind me, i just really dislike those tires. It's such a square profile, it looks like a truck tire.... wtf, don't they know you lean into a turn on a bicycle?
    I run the small block 8's myself on everything for the most part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Dont mind me, i just really dislike those tires. It's such a square profile, it looks like a truck tire.... wtf, don't they know you lean into a turn on a bicycle?
    I run the small block 8's myself on everything for the most part.
    When I ran the small block 8's I pinch flatted every mile or so. Probably a lot of user error cause they came factory on my bike (and I was not a very soft rider when I first started mtbing) but I'm still leary to go back. I think I'm gonna get a set of wtb wolverines, I'd like the cushion of high volume.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub
    When I ran the small block 8's I pinch flatted every mile or so. Probably a lot of user error cause they came factory on my bike (and I was not a very soft rider when I first started mtbing) but I'm still leary to go back. I think I'm gonna get a set of wtb wolverines, I'd like the cushion of high volume.
    odd, i'm pretty hard on my tires and i barely ever get any flats with the sb8, and that's with the razor sharp rocks in southern california. I run 40+psi though. The casing measures out the same as every other tire i've had for the most part so it may have been just bad luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Heck maybe I'll give them a second chance, I had 2.1 front, 1.95 rear when they were on. I may run 2.35 F/R if I get them.

pain is good
    Have the same bike, 08 xtc as SS, live in Idaho and run sb8,in the back and Hutchinson scorpion in the front, rolls fast,and dug in the turns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I went ahead and ordered a 2.35 for the front a few days ago and got my mom to mail me my 2.1 for the rear, should have them soon. I'll post up how I like it, any pics of your xtc? I think they look great without all the gear clutter

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.35's all around (Nevegal front and Small Block 8 rear) and it handles just about every terrain just fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0