Help me pick a commuter fixed gear...please- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    681

    Help me pick a commuter fixed gear...please

    Hello all, I was looking at getting a commuter bike to get to work. Its something that can't be too valuable since it'll probably be locked outside (albeit next to the security office in the parking lot). At any rate, I have been seeing these 70s and 80s road bikes converted to fixed gears on eBay and wanted to know what you guys think. Specifically I was looking at this one:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=7298

    I don't know the brand. Honestly, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to road stuff and especially older stuff. I figured maybe some of you guys ride fixed gears or whatever. Please let me know your input. I'm thinking of a price range not far over $100. Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Gabe

  2. #2
    Awesome! Totally awesome!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    117
    I can vouch for the seller. I bought my fixie from them, just be prepared to pay a "boxing" charge of 30 bucks or so. As far as riding a fixie to school/work I recommend it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    681

    ya he has a ton of them.....

    Quote Originally Posted by kennbenny667
    I can vouch for the seller. I bought my fixie from them, just be prepared to pay a "boxing" charge of 30 bucks or so. As far as riding a fixie to school/work I recommend it.
    so you got one from him and it worked out well? sweet. I figured the best bang for my buck would be something older. I noticed the huge boxing fee but whatever. I'll just lower how much i'm willing to bid by that much. No big deal........thanks for your input.

    Gabe

  4. #4
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe0807
    I don't know the brand. Honestly, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to road stuff and especially older stuff. I figured maybe some of you guys ride fixed gears or whatever. Please let me know your input. I'm thinking of a price range not far over $100. Any thoughts?
    I have a 86 Nishiki "Olympic 12" Tange Infity CroMo frame. It rides real nice. I thing their '80s frames make some great fixies. Not a lot of tire clearance in the back for bigger tires but it can be "fixed" (if I can find one I'll post a pic of what I did to the seat stay bridge to get some cross tires in there )

    <img src="http://earth.usc.edu/%7Eaustink/bike/fixie.jpg" border=5>
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  5. #5
    badjenny fan club founder
    Reputation: bikenerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    56

    I have one for you . . .

    I'm currently trying to sell a road fixed-gear conversion on Craigslist. Late 80's Schwinn Circuit, 59cm, lugged Columbus (steel) tubing, Mavic/Suntour wheels, all good parts, very slightly cosmetically challenged. I'm asking $125, and I could deliver to Santa Clara or we could meet halfway. Let me know if you want some pics.
    Frank

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    681

    That sounds awesome, but its too large.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bikenerd
    I'm currently trying to sell a road fixed-gear conversion on Craigslist. Late 80's Schwinn Circuit, 59cm, lugged Columbus (steel) tubing, Mavic/Suntour wheels, all good parts, very slightly cosmetically challenged. I'm asking $125, and I could deliver to Santa Clara or we could meet halfway. Let me know if you want some pics.
    Frank
    It sounds good but I'm small. I need a 54 or maybe 55cm. A 59 would be way too big for me. Thanks though........good luck selling it.

    Gabe

  7. #7
    badjenny fan club founder
    Reputation: bikenerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    56

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Oh well

    I had to try, right? If you know anybody . . .

  8. #8
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    121

    if you want to buy new

    Sounds like you are considering used bikes for commuting. I was in the same boat, got frustrated with Ebay and ended up buying a new Soma Rush. I love it.

    Check it out and a million other fixied gears at

    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/

Similar Threads

  1. granny gear issues
    By Justintime in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 07:32 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.