Help me with part selections for a Giant XTC Advanced + 27.5 (2017) singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Help me with part selections for a Giant XTC Advanced + 27.5 (2017) singlespeed

My trusty Matt Chester UtiliTiman has served me well but is starting to be a little too old school even for me. I got a great deal on a Giant XTC Advanced + 27.5 frame. The original idea was 27.5 wheels with big but not plus tires. However, I have subsequently learned that I will have BB height and pedal clearance issues (especially as I want 180mm cranks), so i am building it up as a 29'er. Found some great deals online:

Enve M50 29in Boost Wheelset 15x110/12x148 Shimano/SRAM centerloc
    Shimano XT FC-M8000-B1 Boost Cranks, 180 mm, 96 BCD, no chainring or BB

I like 180 mm cranks on SS, but there aren't a lot of choices out there. XT is bombproof, and not heavy, but am open to other lighter weight but strong options if you know of any.

However, the main point of this post is to enlist your aid in identifying the remaining parts for a high end, gram stingy, race-worthy single speed.

In particular:

Front suspension fork with remote lockout
    Bottom bracket - any better choices than XT?
    Dropper post (with remote)
    Carbon handlebars - XC riser

I weigh around 150 lbs, and don't do big drops or air, so I tend not to break stuff very often. However, I do go deep into the wilderness so I don't want stupid light stuff that fails me.

Looking forward to your suggestions

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Chris King BB
    Enve handlebar to match the wheels. Otherwise I love my Answer 20/20 alt bar

Dunno about a fork, I ride rigid

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Chris King BB for the bling. RS SID is my choice for fork. I really dig the XX lockout

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looking at both RS SID and Fox Float 32 stepcast. Wondering which offset would be best?Lots of choices between both forks. RS: 42, 46, 51. Fox: 44, 51.

Thinking 51 helps keep the front end down on steep granny gear climbs, but on singlespeed that isn't an issue. Also improves tracking through the crazy rough stuff, but here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, that is more the exception than the rule.

Your thoughts appreciated.

eri
    mtbr member
    Sorry if I offend, just well meaning random internet opinion:

Xt crank: Can't you save a bunch of weight with a different crank? Some carbon jobbers?
    BB, I read the ck bb doesn't last forever like the headsets. Funny place to spend money as it isn't visible or lightest. Maybe it is forever for Santa Cruz though since you don't get the rain and mud.
    Wheels: enve? Seriously? Get nice blingy hubs, spokes and nipples with Chinese carbon rims. Never heard anything bad about dt240. I would focus on engagement. Big savings here.

Enjoy the process!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got a great deal on the Enve wheels, so I didn't look further. Open to other BB choices. If you know of any 180mm carbon cranks, please advise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can you get XTR in 180mm? I ran the RF Next SL last race season and broke 2 crank arms on my SS in less than 8 months, definitely a fan of AL cranks! You may want to check out White Industries cranks if the XTR's are a no go. You can definitely lose some weight over the XT (although they are reliable cranks!).

As far as forks If you are going to stay with 2.35" tires I am a big fan of my 32SC, it rides great and the lock out is solid!

I also probably would not get ENVE wheels either, only from a cost stand point. IMO a set of Nox with DT's (if going with DT I choose the 350 over the 240, it is better bang for the $. Just a few more grams and quite a bit less money, enough to get some Sapim CX Ray spokes for a larger weight savings), or Industry Nine, maybe P321 depending on how this pawl thing shakes out. The P321 is a little heavier but could* be pretty awesome.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolMark View Post
    Got a great deal on the Enve wheels, so I didn't look further. Open to other BB choices. If you know of any 180mm carbon cranks, please advise.
    Carbon Cranks from Lightning Cycle Dynamics

mtbr member
    As far as bars go, the Renthal Fatbar Carbon are very sweet. 35mm bars in 10mm to 40mm rise. Renthal Fatbar Carbon Riser 35.0mm Bar | Jenson USA

And they are just begging to be mounted with a Renthal Apex 35 stem Threadless Stems | Jenson USA

I personally couldn't bring myself to spend that much on bars and stem, but was really tempted.

Forks, I would thing the Rockshox SID RL is pretty good. That is what comes with the top end XTC. Or maybe the SID XX