Help me with my Ti 29er project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Help me with my Ti 29er project

So, I am gonna go with DeSalvo and I need start spec out the parts. Please advice

Frame: DeSalvo
    Fork: ? ( I want rigid)
    Head set: King
    Hubs: King
    Handle bar: Jones H-Bar
    Stem: Thomson ( or Moots Ti ?)
    Brake: ? (Hydraulic disc)
    Rims: ?
    Spokes: ?
    Tires: ?
    Crank: ? (I really like the modified XTR but don't know how to do it)
    Chain ring: ? (32)
    Cassette: ? (Boone? is' it really hard to get it now?)
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi or Brooks??
    Skewers: ?
    Chain: ?

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    Fork: DT swiss rigid. (formely pace)
    Brakes: XT disc
    Cranks Go with the Xtr
    Wheels I'd go CK ISO hubs and DT rims with DT spokes run a spacer kit and go CK SS cog
    The rest is personal choice.... as is the above

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks.

But I don't like the carbon look on the DT fork. do I have another recommendation? I think I will go with DT rims and spokes.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Fork: Black Sheep Bikes titanium truss fork. It might not have the look you want but the performance of my Jones truss fork is pretty amazing.

Brake: Hope Mono Mini (pure sex)

Crank: Get the Jeff Jones modified crank

Cassette: King Kog steel (until Boone is making again)

Skewers: Hope steel

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidcarbon
    So, I am gonna go with DeSalvo and I need start spec out the parts. Please advice

Frame: DeSalvo
    Fork: ? ( I want rigid) Will DeSalvo build you a steel or ti fork? Otherwise a Black Sheep would be a worthy fork. I love my Fetish/White Bros./Origin 8 carbon fork.
    Head set: King
    Hubs: King
    Stem: Thomson ( or Moots Ti ?)Can't go wrong with Thomson. I just put Moots on my Ventana 29er SS build but ti. may be overkill on a ti. frame.
    Brake: ? (Hydraulic disc)How big is your budget? If it's unlimited then go with Hope Mino Pros, otherwise the new Shimano XTs sound really good.
    Rims: ?It sounds like the DT Swiss build up rock solid, but if you want to go tubeless then look at Stan's Arch or Flow rims.
    Spokes: ?
    Tires: ?Really dependent on your terrain but with a full rigid I'd consider WTB Weirwolf Low Tread 2.55s or Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4s; people seem to universally like the Panaracer Rampage tires too (I've used the other two, not the Panaracers)
    Crank: ? (I really like the modified XTR but don't know how to do it)White Bros. ENO; got 'em on both my SSs now.
    Chain ring: ? (32)White Bros; I have a Boone on my rigid ti. SS but they're not currently taking orders from what I understand.
    Cassette: ? (Boone? is' it really hard to get it now?)See above, Boone may be unobtanium. Go with a King stainless or an Endless aluminum cog.
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi or Brooks??Your other strong personal choice. I personally love Brooks but they're made of lead.
    Skewers: ?I love Shimano, they work really well, but if you build with DT Swiss hubs then go with DT Swiss Ratchet skewers.
    Chain: ?
    Depends on your chainring/cog width but if you don't need a 1/8" BMX chain then just pick out a nice geared chain, I use SRAM chains. If you want to go top shelf then pick up a Wipperman stainless chain.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thank you el-cid

I just talked to DeSalvo, and he does build steel fork for $225, and might build me a Ti fork if I really want it. How DeSalvo's compare with Black Sheep's?

For brakes, I think I can afford Hope Mini Pros, and I hope it will match with the blue CK hubs/headset. I currently run Magura Marta on my other mtb, and do like them too, but none of the store around here could bleed them brake properly.

Yes, I think I will stay with Thomson stem/post to save some money. and will get a DT spokes/rims/skewers

Do you know where I can get that XTR modified crank? Anyone selling?

In FTF We Trust
    thank you el-cid

I just talked to DeSalvo, and he does build steel fork for $225, and might build me a Ti fork if I really want it. How DeSalvo's compare with Black Sheep's?
    I'm sure that a ti. fork from DeSalvo would easily be the equal to one from Black Sheep.

For brakes, I think I can afford Hope Mini Pros, and I hope it will match with the blue CK hubs/headset.
    I've seen the Hope rotors with blue carriers!

Do you know where I can get that XTR modified crank? Anyone selling?
    Jeff Jones modifies those cranks. I'm sure if you e-mail or call he could give you a price for a set.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i had mike desalvo build me my first custom 29er in ti. great choice in builder. i have had 3 frame built my Mike....a ti 29er SS, a steel 29er SS and a steel cx ss.

how much do you weigh and what is your height (are you big and burly or tall and slender, vice versa)? i think better build advice can be given if we know that, especially with the fork material and what model disc brakes.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am not too big or too small. Just a hair over 5'9" and weight just around 160-165lbs.

DeSalvo think it's best to use steel fork. Do you guys agree?

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    I'd forget the hopes.... I run the mini's on my hardtail and the mono4's on my dually.... both are good but the 07 xtr's on my ss are a marked improvement over both. Word has it the 08 xt's are 20% more powerful than the current xtr's. They would be my choice for sure.

P.A.G.A.N.
    I am not too big or too small. Just a hair over 5'9" and weight just around 160-165lbs.

DeSalvo think it's best to use steel fork. Do you guys agree?
    There is a lot of bias against ti forks, I think mainly due to the bad rep of the Spicer and Sibex types. Black Sheep and Jones both have much better reputations. (they are also both unicrown instead of segmented) I think it depends on your personal preference and terrain. Ti forks are very flexible and you can see and feel them moving over rough terrain...which also results in a considerably smoother ride than steel. I've been riding nice steel forks and like them, but I'm going to switch to a Black Sheep ti when I have the $$$.

used to be uno-speedo....
    The big difference for me with a ti truss fork is there is minimal brake deflection in the fork.

indigosky
    Stem: Thomson ( or Moots Ti ?)
    Jones bars = 31.8mm clamp diameter
    Moots Mountain stem= 25.4mm clamp diameter
    Moots Road Stem = 31.8mm clamp diameter

Just something to consider.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    Jones bars = 31.8mm clamp diameter
    Moots Mountain stem= 25.4mm clamp diameter
    Moots Road Stem = 31.8mm clamp diameter

Just something to consider.
    Unless he started making the crossbar larger, it is 25.4 with a 31.8 shim. On one of my bikes I have a Jones bar on a Moots stem.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Unless he started making the crossbar larger, it is 25.4 with a 31.8 shim. On one of my bikes I have a Jones bar on a Moots stem.
    That's true, but he strongly recommends using the shim for stress disbursement, and I value my teeth

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    That's true, but he strongly recommends using the shim for stress disbursement, and I value my teeth
    Teef are overrated.

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Members who have read this thread: 0