Help me with my ocd- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Help me with my ocd

Is it terrible to put mismatched hubs on a ss?

Want to run a Paul hub out back but want a 28h hub for the front and Paul doesn't make that. Already have the rim.

May go Hope. Among other things I guess the cogs will be cheaper. But for the front, I dunno, kind of doubt anybody would notice if I slap a nice light BHS hub up front. But I'll know. Help me out here, I'm outa Prozac.

SS Pusher Man
    Let's see......

I currently have a Hope Pro II mounted to a Arch EX on the front and a Crest/Stans Hub on the rear.

Whattaya think?
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Mismatch on purpose.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Why do you "want" to run 28h up front? I prefer matching hubs, but will accept different hubs if they are the same color.

mtbr member
    mismatched hubs are "custom." it makes it looks like you went out of your way to buy two different hubs for specific reasons, even if that's not true.

mtbr member
    My Stache has a red Hope rear and a crappy stock black Bontrager front... I wanted better engagement but didn't want to build my front wheel up to. Rides just like it did before, except with better engagement.

mtbr member
    I ride a bike with two different wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I never pose next to my bike.... I am always too busy riding the piss out of it and don't care what anybody thinks about how it looks. As long as it works and doesn't break on you, do what you like and screw the haters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Why do you "want" to run 28h up front?
    Official reason: to reduce rotational mass in the heavier, and less-stressed wheel
    Real reason: rim was on sale, I mean they were giving it away

Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    I ride a bike with two different wheel sizes.
    haha I'm building up a NOS Trek 69er ss frame. trek is dumping them, got it for cheap. it started out as an homage to an almost-classic, just like the bike in the window. that idea went out the window after about five minutes. but....

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    mismatched hubs are "custom." it makes it looks like you went out of your way to buy two different hubs for specific reasons, even if that's not true.
    there ya go.

i think it follows, the answer is to slap in a bontrager hub up front. duh.

i knew you guys would lead me to the right answer. thank goodness now i can get some sleep

Please, don't anybody suggest putting a bontrager rim up front too. I mean, I have two of em, but i just really can't think about that right now. aw crikey now i gotta get that out of my head. maybe if i take the stickers off...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I finally located a matching(ish) rear hub to build my rear wheel, but all last season I was running a 32h black non disc Paul rear hub with a 28h sour apple green King disc front. I'm running a trials wheelset, so even with the matching rear hub its not exactly matching.

I just happened to get super lucky and found a matching rear hub on ebay. I was planning to use a black Hope hub otherwise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    As long as your stem is perfectly aligned with your front wheel, your good!

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    As long as your stem is perfectly aligned with your front wheel, your good!
    that was deep.

I'm going to put that on a t-shirt and live by it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Exemplary First World Problem

I should be out riding
    As long as the hubs are the same color, no one will notice anyway. Black is easiest to match. Cheap front hub and quality rear hub is a sign of value spec'ing.

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath
    Let's say this is 100% true. How does posting this help?

Or when people post this is it supposed to be a funny way of saying there are no stupid questions except for yours and you shouldn't be allowed to ask?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    As long as the hubs are the same color, no one will notice anyway. Black is easiest to match. Cheap front hub and quality rear hub is a sign of value spec'ing.
    Or if you get two different color hubs, it will look like you went out of your way to get one hub specifically for each qheel because you believe in function over form.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    I 2nd ^^^^^^^

You outta see my SS rig,... a mutt, no doubt.

Cannondale CAADX 105 - SS build
    Raleigh Willard 2
    Cannondale CAD3 SS 96er build (circa 1997)

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    We tend to associate pleasing aesthetics with good design. Sometimes that leads us in the right direction (eg yacht design) and sometimes not.

The human eye prefers certain shapes. On a bike, I think we are drawn to a "golden ratio" where the top tube and seat tube have a 1:2.3 proportion. And I think symmetrical 700c rims are part of that picture. Works fine if you're tall enough, and if you're riding on asphalt. Not so much if you're short, or riding off road.

The Trek 69er ss is not pretty, but it's light, stiff and compact. Should excel on smooth tight trails. Lots of that around here. Thoughts:

- Out back, I want as fat a tire on as wide a rim as I can stuff in there.
    - I want to keep weight down up front, can't really use any extra traction up there anyway
    - This thing ain't for gnarly trails; the function of the fork is to absorb trail chatter and keep the front wheel in contact with the dirt. Went 80mm to keep weight and length down. Sharpen the steering, keep bb low.
    - 165mm cranks (it's a small frame with a low bb) w/ 33:17 gearing. WI cog would rock.
    - Drag from the rear wheel will limit top end speed, so I want it to at least accelerate well. Both the front and rear wheels should spin up easily.

Rear is easy, 26" means weight and strength are there. Thinking 31mm rim, 32 spoke, sapim laser 3x. Tire-wise, XR1, Aspen, RaRa -- not much stickum but drifting around corners is how the game is played. 2.0-2.2 depending on clearance.

Up front, I'm thinking same spokes 28/2x, 28mm rim. XR3, Ikon, NoNi? 2.2 should be plenty.

Hub-wise? I dunno. Front doesn't matter, I should put a purple road hub on there just to prove a point. Not even sure the rear hub matters that much. BHS makes a darn fine hub don't they, and would any mortal human really be able to tell the difference? Endless Bike cogs rock too. Could do 2.0 mm spokes on the drive side, and net of everything... guess that topic's been beat to death, although if there were a clear answer we wouldn't still be flogging it.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    When ever I see 2 different color hubs on a bike I always assume the front wheel was trail booty....but I have a lime green front hub and black rear hub so maybe I'm just self conscious

mtbr member
    I recently got a lightly used polished (oh so shiny) WI eccentric Eno and would like to have a front hub with bolts instead of QR. It would be nice to have a matching front hub, but it will most likely be a Paul or Surly ultra new. So, my OCD says bolts on both wheels, but I'm surprisingly ok with a non matching hub. I can't make sense of it. I do know the rims will be the same though.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Function > Form
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I recently got a lightly used polished (oh so shiny) WI eccentric Eno and would like to have a front hub with bolts instead of QR. It would be nice to have a matching front hub, but it will most likely be a Paul or Surly ultra new. So, my OCD says bolts on both wheels, but I'm surprisingly ok with a non matching hub. I can't make sense of it. I do know the rims will be the same though.
    Yeah, I scored one a couple weeks ago on ebay. No idea what I'm gonna do with it. Same thought tho, front would need a light weight QR hub, anything with a good polish should be close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Function > Form
    Yeah but man the "trail booty" comment kinda messed me up. I was making progress until then.

I finally decided just to go with BHS.
    - You can use the wheel for more than one bike
    - Easier and cheaper to swap cogs
    - Better value ratio IMO compared to the other cassette hub I was considering, namely Hope.
    - Strength is covered, and there are other ways to finesse that anyway; gonna use 2.0 spokes on the ds and 1.5 on the nds

Plus I already have a BHS hub on the shelf. The other day I found it sitting on the floor, saying, I'm here a month now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I look around the walls move in a little tighter.

Gotta get that sucka into the jungle, where it belongs.

Hehe, trail booty. That there's funny, don't matter who ya are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    Let's say this is 100% true. How does posting this help?

Or when people post this is it supposed to be a funny way of saying there are no stupid questions except for yours and you shouldn't be allowed to ask?
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Develop-Yo.../dp/0766160203

Name:  41h24bEGRcL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  17.6 KB
    Signature

mtbr memeber
    Yeah, at this point you still think that's funny...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    Yeah, at this point you still think that's funny...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    both wheel sets for my SSCX bike have mismatched hubs, one set is Paul SS silver hub rear with a King Silver front hub, which I bought as part of a 26" rim brake front wheel years ago. The other set is a Red Paul SS hub and a front DT swiss 240 hub(which was from a front wheel I found, had new bearings installed then re-built with the same Belgium + rim the other wheels use. I actually had a matching front Red paul hub unbuilt I could have used, but it needed new bearings and is probably not quite as nice and light as the 240 front hub..
    I had a 26" Hadley SS and Mavic 721 wheel set that was one black front 32 hole and rear 36hole with a gray rim, but just broke up the wheels to make a new set of 29er SS wheels, and it will get a rear Stans Flow rim 36hole and a front Velocity Blunt SS rim 32 hole front, my logic is that the extra strength of the rear wheel will be appreciated but the extra 120G or so for the Flow compared to the Blunt SS won't be needed on the front wheel, also they both will be black and have almost the same width both inside and outside. The Blunt SS is probably tough enough for a rear wheel for me, but I like having a little extra toughness in the rear wheel, both for staying true, and perhaps more important so it won't be as easy to dent if you hit some big rocks or roots .

mtbr member
    If you are like Jack and have an old pre disc brake era single speed and wanted to go with a disc brake you end up needing a new form and a new wheel. Jack thinks there are a lot of people out there like that probably.
    Jack has a polished silver Eno in the rear and a black Shimano XT with a wide Sun Rhno 36 spoke Rim out front. Looks fine to Jack. However Jack has a white Industries matching hub ready for when this other wheel dies.

mtbr member
    Is it something a can of spray paint can fix ?

IMHO, bikes with unmatched bits have character. Like pedals which mis-match. A couple of mates both bought Orange and Blue Hope F20's and swapped one pedal. Then they bought two sets of blue and red T S-serv tires and swapped one tire too. Have to say, it looks good but they never ride the bikes out together as they think it makes them look gay which they are not ( no offense to anyone )

Members who have read this thread: 0