Help me with my first SS build -MC Rumble- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Help me with my first SS build -MC Rumble

Alright, I'm excited.

I was a BMX guy until going to IU where I turned Roadie... and now I'm kind of nothing.

But not for long!

This is mine now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Help me build it please.

I have in mind a 26" rear and rigid 29" front.

Component by component- starting with BB and Cranks. My thought is a Saint M810-1 kit.

Arm length 170 or 175? I'm not sure- any input? Also, what would be a good chainring size? If I remember right from my BMX days I usually ran a 44T, but that experience probably doesn't count for much on 26" wheels.

I'm excited about this and any input/advice/discussion would be great!
    Last edited by Elektrobot; 03-12-2010 at 01:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Killer deal on that.
    I would get the wheels and fork on there first before you decide on crank length. With a 9er in front you may come across toe overlap issues. You also don't want to have pedal scrape on the ground when turning and pedaling.
    For your chainring, you may also be limited by the chainstays on how big you go, depending on where the chainring is placed. The gear ratio depends on what you want to do with it. Go smaller for XC and street, go big for DJ and DH. My 26" street/jump bike has 25:11 my XC 29" has 32:18.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath
    Killer deal on that.
    I would get the wheels and fork on there first before you decide on crank length. With a 9er in front you may come across toe overlap issues. You also don't want to have pedal scrape on the ground when turning and pedaling.
    For your chainring, you may also be limited by the chainstays on how big you go, depending on where the chainring is placed. The gear ratio depends on what you want to do with it. Go smaller for XC and street, go big for DJ and DH. My 26" street/jump bike has 25:11 my XC 29" has 32:18.

This sounds like pretty good advice, Thanks!

Alright- so now the search is for a rigid 29" fork that would work well with this frame. 1 1/8 steerer corrected for 100-140mm travel.

Rear wheel 26": I'd to use a freehub laced with as little dish as possible. Does anyone make a freehub with a very narrow splined section, just wide enough for 1 cog and a few spacers if needed for alignment?

Front wheel 29": I guess this depends on what size of dropouts the fork has.... so front wheel selection is on hold pending fork selection.

Wow the weather is nice for this time of year. Wish I had something to ride. I can't wait to get this thing built up!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Members who have read this thread: 0