help me with converting to ss......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

help me with converting to ss......

Ok, hopefully someone here will take me under their wing b/c I need help. I'll admit I don't know jack. I do know that I don't want these gears anymore. I wanna ride like I did when I was a kid!!!! I am so excited to have a bmx bike with front shocks!!! Anyway here is my situation. I have an older GT avalanche. I don't know what year it is. It has mostly shimano deore lx components (brakes, shifters, and rear hub). I do know that it has the vertical dropouts so I guess I need a chain tensioner. I would love to do it without so is the eccentric the only option? Could I use the surly 1 speed converter?

Seriously if someone doesn't mind could I email you and discuss what I need to do? I can send pictures to help. I would really appreciate it. thanks

semi-evolved simian
    Quote Originally Posted by oneill77
    Ok, hopefully someone here will take me under their wing b/c I need help. I'll admit I don't know jack. I do know that I don't want these gears anymore. I wanna ride like I did when I was a kid!!!! I am so excited to have a bmx bike with front shocks!!! Anyway here is my situation. I have an older GT avalanche. I don't know what year it is. It has mostly shimano deore lx components (brakes, shifters, and rear hub). I do know that it has the vertical dropouts so I guess I need a chain tensioner. I would love to do it without so is the eccentric the only option? Could I use the surly 1 speed converter?

Seriously if someone doesn't mind could I email you and discuss what I need to do? I can send pictures to help. I would really appreciate it. thanks
    Have you read the FAQ ? There's a rather too well hidden link to it up in the top right of the page. Take a read of that and see if any of your questions are answered.

You might get lucky and find a ratio that doesn't need a tensioner, if not then you'll need a tensioner or an ENO. A tensioner is a pretty cheap way to find out if you like SS (or use an old deraillieur, it's all in the FAQ). Plenty of people on here who are happy to help, just post your questions!