Help me build a budget ss- Mtbr.com
    bicycle rider

Help me build a budget ss

I have this old Ritchey frameset:

The frame is a late-1980s Ritchey Ultra (or maybe Ascent?) frameset that has had its U-brake posts removed from the chainstays, cantilever posts added to the seatstays and a pretty crappy red/white/blue fade paint job applied. (Guy I bought it from said it was powder coat, dunno) It's got a 20.5" seat tube, measured center of bottom bracket to center of top tube. The top tube is 22.75" long. Chainstays are 17", wheelbase is 42.5" long and it has semi-vertical drop-outs. more pics here

I also have a White Industries ENO eccentric hub, 32-hole, 130mm. I bought it for this project. I have some old random mountain bike parts in a box in my garage. I would like to build up a budget singlespeed bike. (If I like it I'll build a nicer one with suspension and discs.)

My main question is: Can I use any old mountain bike crank and bb? What kind of chainring and freewheel cog should I use? Do I need a ss-specific crank, or can I use an old triple crank, take off the little ring, grind the teeth off the big ring for a bash guard and use the middle ring? I bought a cheap Shimano BMX freewheel, not knowing any better. Will it work on the ENO hub? Is it for a fatter chain? Will that fatter chain work with my cranks?

I have some old cantilever brakes, and some old Magura hydraulics, but I don't think either work as well as v-brakes so I'll probably go hunting for those. Not sure yet on rims and tires but I'll probably try to build budget tubeless, maybe x3.1 rims. I would like to find a Chris King threaded 1" headset for the frame too.

Any other ideas?

Morgan

mtbr member
    perhaps hold off on the CK headset until you get everything else sorted but sounds like it could be interesting. Nice paintjob - I have something similar on my latest SS :http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=41709

Freewheel - the shimano freewheel should go onto the ENO hub OK - as long as it's a 16 tooth or larger size. As for chain compatibility, the freewheel is for either a 1/8" or 3/32" (8 speed) chain. Either will work with your chainrings but 3/32" will be quieter and lighter.

Cranks - any old mountain bike cranks and BB should be fine. You don't really need to worry about BB standards on mtbs except the width - 95% of the time it will be a 68mm width. You'll probably want to use the middle ring on an mtb crankset. If you get yourself a "period" crankset to keep it "real" you'll probably be looking at a 36 or 38 tooth middle ring which you might find a little steep with a 16 or 18 tooth freewheel. A modern (~1997+) crankset will be more compact and probably have a 32 or 34t chainring - more manageable and pedallable.

If you're going to run V-brakes get a booster as well. Those stays will flex like a noodle which is moist.

good luck.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

Members who have read this thread: 0