Help losing the last 8.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Help losing the last 8.

Hi! I currently ride an 08 Giant XTC 1 set up as 1x9. I really like the 1x9 but I'm thinking of fully jumping ship to a 1x1. I'm looking at using the Gusset Bachelor as a tensinor and running a 18 or 20t cog with a 32 chainring. Should I swap out my front chainring to a ss specific one? And what would your recommendations be on chains and rear cog brand. I'm trying to stay below $75.

Thanks and hello!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    welcome!
    I'd definitely suggest proper ss chainrings, not necessary but they have deeper engagement teeth and run a lot smoother.
    some options: surly, blackspire, couple other brands out there.
    For chains I've had good luck with KMC, and great luck with SRAM.
    For cogs, misfit has light aluminium ones, chris king has ti and stainless ones, surly has stainless ones, those are all widebase cogs. Shimano has regular width cogs, and then there's a bunch of others I haven't tried.

You'll probably be ok with the 18 out back and a 32 up front.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I decided I'd just go cheap to try it. A quick trip to performance and I got their forte single speed kit for $22 dollars. Ran over to another bike shop and they found me 4 single speed chainring bolts in a drawer for $5. So for $27 I'm gonna give it a shot. If I like it I plan on running a surly front chainring and rear cog, getting a new chain and then trying to get a half link to get eliminate the tensioner or picking up a better tensioner than the forte one.

Gave it a bath and took a pic, I like it the look for sure, I have 32/18 gearing on it now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help losing the last 8.-singlespeed.jpg  

Last edited by csteven71; 12-07-2010 at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub
    ... If I like it ...
    HA! Go ahead and order the Surly stuff.

Nice lookin' ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Lol well I haven't had a chance to get it out on the trails yet, fighting a bad head cold and finals. Birthday's coming up soon though so if I get some extra cash it'll go for the surly stuff.

master blaster
    you should be fine at 32x18
    thats what i run for 26" ss.

but please level that seat out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah I didn't notice the seat until I took this, been riding like that for a while... humm.

Members who have read this thread: 0