Help with a Homegrown- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Help with a Homegrown

I bought a homegrown frame a while back and I would like some more information on it. The guy I bought it off of said it was a 1992 frame. I understand that some of the homegrown frames were built by Yeti (closed down in Colorado?) The frame is this really neat shimery red (like a tomato) with small letters "homegrown" and a little tomato on the top tube. It has V brakes only. How can you tell which frames were built by Yeti? I would like some history on these because I will be selling the frame soon and I want to be as honest as I can with the buyers.

Thanks for the help

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by 2big2ride
    I bought a homegrown frame a while back and I would like some more information on it. The guy I bought it off of said it was a 1992 frame. I understand that some of the homegrown frames were built by Yeti (closed down in Colorado?) The frame is this really neat shimery red (like a tomato) with small letters "homegrown" and a little tomato on the top tube. It has V brakes only. How can you tell which frames were built by Yeti? I would like some history on these because I will be selling the frame soon and I want to be as honest as I can with the buyers.

Thanks for the help
    1. I'm no expert on Schwinn's, but I like to think that I "know" some things. I may not know anything, or know everything incorrectly.

2. I seem to remember that homegrown's started popping up around '94/95ish, and that those early models had model names like "S nine five," denoting the model year? (I'm prolly entirely wrong!)

3. Some homegrown's were built at yeti - I associate the super purty bass boat paint jobs with those hg's, and I also associate them with about 98/99 model years.

4. at that time (98/99) there were other hg's being made at anodizing inc. a bit cheaper, paint not quite as sparkly (methinks), and still nice bikes. I have a fine example of one of these bikes.

5. the last red hg i remember was circa 2000, or so, and your description makes me think of that bike.

Hope that helps a little. Again, I may know a little, or nothing at all.

d
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

SS Chimp
    does it have checkered flag decals?
    yeti made the factory homegrown frames and they were only in bassboat blue and red as i recall. i think in later years they relesed the bassboat red frame in the non-factory version. you can also look at the seatstay yoke...does it have rounded edges (factory) or square-cut edges (std)? i have a factory homegrown frame and my wife has a straight homegrown frame and, side by side it is easy to tell the difference in quality of welds and such. you have any pics...that would help?