help with gear selection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

help with gear selection

Thinking of switching my HT to a SS but unsure what size rings to use front and back. I will be using this bike for trail and road, I know there are a few hills I wont be able to climb on a SS in the trials I ride but I can live with that. I just want to try this out and see if I like it. I havent rode a SS since the laste 70's early 80's. Also going to just use my standard hub, what are good conversion kits, I know some suck and I don't want those ones.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Finding a gear that will keep you happy on trails and road will be a challenge. I run about 64 gear inches (42x17) on my 26" fixed gear commuter and usually around 46 on my 29er (32x20). So somewhere around 55 might work? You'll probably still spin out on the downhills and flats some but be able to climb pretty well. This is highly dependent on fitness and terrain though - you might get better response in the forum for your state, where people are more familiar with the terrain in your area.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Since you already have the full gamut at your fingertips why not try different combos until you find one that works for you. When you find a gear that feels about right go for what will be one of your normal rides and don't shift, wrap duct tape around your shift lever if necessary. Fine tune as needed and then transfer whatever gear inch number that happens to be onto your ss setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Since you already have the full gamut at your fingertips why not try different combos until you find one that works for you. When you find a gear that feels about right go for what will be one of your normal rides and don't shift, wrap duct tape around your shift lever if necessary. Fine tune as needed and then transfer whatever gear inch number that happens to be onto your ss setup.
    Seems like the easiest option to figure out your gearing. You'll have a little added weight, but in the big picture, probably not that big a deal. the hardest part will be resisting the urge to shift. could always tape a thumb tack to your gear lever. You'll only shift once, maybe twice, before you stop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As everyone else has alluded to so far, you haven't shared with us any specifics or your bike set up (gearing for 26" vs 27.5" vs 29" will all affect the answer, gear inches are good because of this. Sheldon Browns gear calculator is good for this) Also, everyone's trails are different. What ratio of trail:road do you plan on? Where would you prefer to sacrifice more on? I ride a flat commute everyday on my bike geared for the trails and the commutes are miserable, but it's worth it for me because I want to have my fun on the trails even if that means leaving a few minutes earlier on work days. More information might get you better answers.

All that being said I run 32x18 or sometimes 20 on a 29" bike which gives me 51.6 or 46.4 gear inches, respectively. Even with the 32 x 18 the road is not fun, but the trails are well within reason. On top of the above idea of using your geared drive train to get an idea of where to start, I'd also recommend buying a cog a few teeth smaller and another a few teeth bigger and play around with them for a few weeks. Research is good, experience is better.