help with fetish cycle ss frame- Mtbr.com
    Trail eater

help with fetish cycle ss frame

I want to build a ss bike. I came across the fetish cycle fixation ss frame. It retails for $700 but I can buy it brand new for $150. It looks like a sturdy frame. Im about 210 pounds and ride fairly aggressively.
    Have any of you guys bought one or even own one? Not much around at all in terms of reviews about these frames
    I would love to hear your inputs (as much detail as practical) before I buy this frame

thanks in advance
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Misfit Psycles
    it will never retail for the listed 700. it will always be listed for 150 on ebay or their site directly. the frame is beefy and will be no problem for anyone of your weight. i know because i rode a Soul Cycles Hardline (the exact same frame) and I weigh between 200-220 depending on the time of year. but now of course i ride mine.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Trail eater
    great to know. Its reassuring to know someone else has riden this or similar frame

75% Mountain cycle

Me too - I had one

I had one a year and a half ago. I wieghed 215 back then and it was tough as hell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail eater
    nice looking rig whats the largest tire that can fit in your frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I ride a SS Fixatio, have been pretty hard on it with multiple wrecks, some jumping (nothing crazy), etc and not seen any problems. It's made very beefy (heavy) and should hold up fine. Great deal for $150 IMHO, I love mine now that I've gotten used it it.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    nice looking rig whats the largest tire that can fit in your frame.
    i believe that 2.35 was the biggest with v's it will be higher with discs. my fork and triangle is similar and can get over 2.5 with discs.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

boomer

hey nogearshere

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    i believe that 2.35 was the biggest with v's it will be higher with discs. my fork and triangle is similar and can get over 2.5 with discs.
    You seem to be knowledgeable on these bikes; would you mind viewing this and chiming in? I'd sure appreciate it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=144693

Thanks
    Calvin

mtbr member

BB height?

What is the Bottom Bracket Height on that frame? And what size tires you running?

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_calvin
    You seem to be knowledgeable on these bikes; would you mind viewing this and chiming in? I'd sure appreciate it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=144693

Thanks
    feel free to email or pm if you need anything else...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    feel free to email or pm if you need anything else...
    Thanks, I'll probably need to take you up on that offer.
    Calvin

boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMike
    What is the Bottom Bracket Height on that frame? And what size tires you running?
    I've not a clue on BB height and the website geo. chart doesn't show it.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Tank-i-fied

I bought the built-up Fixation SS on eBay for $600 (you can get it for $549). I have been very pleased with the product. It is a very beefy frame, very stiff, very strong. It also came with a Black fork, which works okay, and the wheels are double rim With 2.35 tires I run at about 30 psi, which gives a pretty plush ride. Mechanical disk brakes stop well. And the flat black finish is almost a gun metal blue. Looks great.

I have an XL frame (I weight about 190#) and I am not a delicate rider. The total bike weighs about 29 lbs (thus the tank reference), but it is also bombproof. It is a good choice. Yeah, other threads have mentioned that these frames are always $150. The only thing that bugged me about the eBay bike was the seat post was waaaay too short for a big frame. Had to get a Thompson layback post to make it fit. I love that bike.

Enjoy!
    Brad

boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by HexHead
    Had to get a Thompson layback post to make it fit. I love that bike.

Enjoy!
    Brad
    How tall are you Hex? I'm 6'2" and was wondering if I needed a layback or straight post.
    Calvin

Trail eater
    Hey Hex, any chance you could post a few pics I was considering buying a built up fixation but I want to learn how to build a bike from scratch.
    I guess at 29 pounds I might be better off. What do you think Hex?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey Hex, any chance you could post a few pics I was considering buying a built up fixation but I want to learn how to build a bike from scratch.

Hey guys,
    I am 6’2” as well, but I have very long legs (36” inseam) and arms (36” sleeve) so I need to get way back on the frame. I ride a 61 or 62 cm road bike if that helps. On the 61 I need a setback seatpost, but I like to be stretched out. I also have bar ends on the riser bars (heresy!) because I need the leverage for the standing climbs in the mountains here in NM. Stem is 90mm.

Oh, and I forgot to mention – I had to replace the cranks as well. It came with 170 mm cranks. Too short for my long legs. So I bought some 175’s for about $55 on Pricepoint (FSA V Drive Extreme). So I guess you have to factor that in when you buy it. You may be able to negotiate those items with the Seller for a small upgrade fee that would be less than replacing after the fact.

I think I did research on the frame initially, and it really wasn’t too much heavier than other frames. So I think most of the big weight is due to the fork, wheels and mechanical disc brakes.
    If you built it up yourself, with normal rims, 2.0 tires and a lighter fork you could no doubt cut two or three pounds off of the thing. The frame is designed for a 100 mm travel fork.

My bike looks just like the one on eBay, so check that out. Also has different tires and brakes. The tires that came with it are the Kenda Blue Groove up front and the Kenda Nevagal on the back. 2.35”, sticky rubber. Great, pricey tires. Incredible traction, but fast-wearing.

When I bought mine on eBay, I think I bought the only one where there was another bidder. So I actually paid $610 + shipping. I checked the history and found that it is unusual for that bike to get bid up in price. At $549 it is a great deal, if you don’t mind the weight. The seller is a poor communicator, but eventually gets your product to you. Mine took a couple of weeks before she shipped it. Just know that going in.

Here is the eBay link for one up for bid now.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2006-Fetish-...QQcmdZViewItem

So, even with the upgrades I had to put on (cranks and seatpost), I am still pleased with the purchase. Yes, it would be nice to have a 22 lb. SS, but you would have to give up some plushness, durability and a lot more $$$ to get a rig like that. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Brad

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

One more thing

I tried to post photos of mine and the system kicked me out. So if you email me I'll send you a couple of my set up.

Brad
    [email protected]

get down!
    I have one. It's pretty cool... little over 4 pounds, pretty burly. I'll post some pics when I'm at my home computer...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm 6'1 and have the 21" - Xlg frame and don't have a setback seatpost, but my seat is all the way back. I have broken one seat (rails) like this so I probably need the setback seatpost...

Retrograde Customs
    I love my Fixation, i have it sitting at about 20 pounds now and it still feels solid. If only they made the D&S with SS dropouts.
    Retrograde Customs

Trail eater
    hey dansjustchillin, how about some inspirational pics we wanna see what your faxation looks like, components etc.

get down!
    heres a couple - was stolen a few days ago though

Trail eater
    dude, nice rig. sorry to hear that your bike was stolen hope you catch the fockheads that did it
    what is the black fork like? looks like 100mm travel? I have a set of panaracers also and they stick to just about everything mother nature dishes out to us here in philly

Retrograde Customs
    hey dansjustchillin, how about some inspirational pics we wanna see what your faxation looks like, components etc.
    I'll have to get back to you on that one. i'll post them up as soon as i get some new pics.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I also bought a fixation last year from ebay, $150.00. I was using V's at the time and after the initial build, i noticed that I could not adjust my rear brake enough toclear the rim for the wheel to role. I called Fetish and told them the problem and they said send it to them. I took a while but they sent my a new frame and no questions asked. i built this frame up with the V's and it worked great. The frame was still a little off, but worked well. I have since switched to discs. the only problem i have with the frame is i wish the bottom bracket is a little higher and the frames seem to sized small. I am 601 and weigh 220. I don't have a laid back post, but use a 130 stem. So far i love the bike, I run it full rigid and ride alot of rocks and roots and it is holding up well. Great value.

Mcgruff
    JC, Tennessee

Members who have read this thread: 0