Help! Did I get the wrong bike size?- Mtbr.com
    Dman777

Help! Did I get the wrong bike size?

I bought a Trek 6700 and am wondering if I got the wrong bike size. I am 5'10 feet and bought a 6700 that is 17.5". Back when I bought it I got sized by the sales man but I was wearing baggy shorts so I don't know if that messes up things. Here's the problem...I always feel like there is to much wieght forward. I have moved the seat back and raised the handle bars up and put an extender on the handle bars to help. On the seat stem, to have my legs fixed propperly fit where my I have a knee just slightly bent, I have the seat stem almost(not quite though) to the boundry line. If I lower my seat then I feel more of my wieght going back, but then my legs are bent to much and I have to peddle harder than I should. I am new to bike riding and have only been riding for about 3 months, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Does this problem sound like I got the wrong size bike or is it just me?

Thanks,
    -dman

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Do you mean that you feel too streched out on it? Like you're leaning too far forward?

Dman777
    Naw....I just feel like most of my wieght is shifted foward which causes the bike front tire to wash out easily and also makes the bike feel unstable. If I lower like the seat stem just an inch it brings alot of my wieght back which is good because then I feel I have complete control of the bike, but then my seat is to low(leg is bent to much) and I have to peddle harder than I should. Does this sound like the bike is to small?

Thanks,
    -Dman

Medium?

You're between sizes

I'm about 5'10.5 with a 32" inseam; kind of a long torso. I have a 19" jamis dragon with a 23.5 effective top tube (ett), and a gunnar ruffian singlespeed that is a 19" with a 24.25 ett. I previously rode smaller sizes. I had a couple 18" bikes with (guess) 22.5 top tubes. My problem with them wasn't that I felt my weight forward, but I felt the cockpit was really short.

Your Trek is a 17.5 with a 23.1 ett. The next size up is 19.5 with a 24.6 ett. That's quite a jump. You'd probably be just right in the middle, if they made it. Now you know why someone would want a custom frame.

On my newer, longer bikes I've always used riser bars. Find some with a big rise, like 2".

You could try a lay-back seatpost too, but they aren't usually cheap.

Don't use a big dorky extension. Yuck.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    First off, I didn't know Trek made a singlespeed

This is so hard for so many reasons. It's also harder to explain because you're a (self-admitted) newbie. Anyways, look at this link and see if it helps:
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/

If your seatpost is almost at the limit line and you need more extension, there are a lot of really long seatposts out there including Thomson and Syncros. If you need to get back more, there is a Thomson that has a laid back position that will put your saddle farther back. (However, make sure your knees are in the right position if you are going to get one of these.)

With the higher saddle position, you might want to raise your bars as well. You can get a higher rise stem or a (higher) riser bar.

There are quite a few things you can do to dial in your fit. Some of them may be band-aids, but hopefully all you have to do is take what you already have and adjust them properly. I'd say go back to the shop, or go to another shop that knows what they're doing. Ask them to help you fit the bike properly. You can go to the regional boards and find you which shops are worthy. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman777
    Naw....I just feel like most of my wieght is shifted foward which causes the bike front tire to wash out easily and also makes the bike feel unstable. If I lower like the seat stem just an inch it brings alot of my wieght back which is good because then I feel I have complete control of the bike, but then my seat is to low(leg is bent to much) and I have to peddle harder than I should. Does this sound like the bike is to small?

Thanks,
    -Dman
    Last edited by Drevil; 03-04-2004 at 10:34 PM. Reason: gramatickaly inkurekt und spehling

Not because I'm fast.....

The position might just take some getting use too

I bought a Trek 6700 and am wondering if I got the wrong bike size. I am 5'10 feet and bought a 6700 that is 17.5". Back when I bought it I got sized by the sales man but I was wearing baggy shorts so I don't know if that messes up things. Here's the problem...I always feel like there is to much wieght forward. I have moved the seat back and raised the handle bars up and put an extender on the handle bars to help. On the seat stem, to have my legs fixed propperly fit where my I have a knee just slightly bent, I have the seat stem almost(not quite though) to the boundry line. If I lower my seat then I feel more of my wieght going back, but then my legs are bent to much and I have to peddle harder than I should. I am new to bike riding and have only been riding for about 3 months, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Does this problem sound like I got the wrong size bike or is it just me?

Thanks,
    -dman
    The frame might be a bit small depending on your proportions, but If this is your first mountain bike and you are just starting out, the position of the bars just might feel awkward and low. I have heard many people say they feel like the handlebars are too low when they first get on a mountain bike. Typical cross country riders have the bars either at or a few inches below the saddle height. Also, you may be washing out the front end because you are not weighting the front wheel in the turns.

Good luck, if it turns out the frame is too small take it back to the shop.

Dman777

Hey fast Eddy, I totally agree

I checked the the colorado fitting chart and it seems to recommend I go smaller than a 17"...but I know there's no chance of that.

I feel like such a newbie ....sorry I posted in the wrong forum

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    I'm about 5'10.5 with a 32" inseam; kind of a long torso. I have a 19" jamis dragon with a 23.5 effective top tube (ett), and a gunnar ruffian singlespeed that is a 19" with a 24.25 ett. I previously rode smaller sizes. I had a couple 18" bikes with (guess) 22.5 top tubes. My problem with them wasn't that I felt my weight forward, but I felt the cockpit was really short.

Your Trek is a 17.5 with a 23.1 ett. The next size up is 19.5 with a 24.6 ett. That's quite a jump. You'd probably be just right in the middle, if they made it. Now you know why someone would want a custom frame.

On my newer, longer bikes I've always used riser bars. Find some with a big rise, like 2".

You could try a lay-back seatpost too, but they aren't usually cheap.

Don't use a big dorky extension. Yuck.

Yeah, that's the way I feel. I have to raise the seat stem really high because the cockpit feels short or compacted. Raiseing the seat higher to overcome this compacted feeling makes the bike feel unstable and throws my wieght foward to much. I measured my inseem using the book method and I got 32.5 inches.I noticed the sizes on the bikes I can afford these days jump from 17.5 to 19.5. I was thinking about selling my bike(takeing a nasty financial lose) and going to a 19.5, but do you think this would be a big mistake(19.5 to big?)?

Bikes not Bombs.....

Wink Quick measurement...

32.5 inch inseam

bottom bracket is about 11.5 inches off the ground

seat tube is 19.5 inches

your standover height might want to be around 30 to 31 inches for safety sake.

11.5 + 19.5 = 30 inches

I wouldn't want to sshorten the sstandover height too much, your "boys" might not like that in the case of a sudden stop.....just ask them....

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

Dman777
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    The frame might be a bit small depending on your proportions, but If this is your first mountain bike and you are just starting out, the position of the bars just might feel awkward and low. I have heard many people say they feel like the handlebars are too low when they first get on a mountain bike. Typical cross country riders have the bars either at or a few inches below the saddle height. Also, you may be washing out the front end because you are not weighting the front wheel in the turns.

Good luck, if it turns out the frame is too small take it back to the shop.
    What is weighting the front wheel?

I can't take the bike back...it's to late. What do you think I can get for a 2004 Trek 6700 that's about 3 months old?

beer *****es n' bikes
    What is weighting the front wheel?

I can't take the bike back...it's to late. What do you think I can get for a 2004 Trek 6700 that's about 3 months old?
    Low bars= feels like your weight is forward since you are leaning over the bars. It takes time to get used to the feel and handling of an XC bike, and gain confidence in the fact you won't go over the bars on a steep downhill.

If you're 5'10 and typically proportioned I'd put you on a 17.5" Trek most likely. Did you loosen up the saddle clamp and slide the saddle back?

If you can post a pic of the bike taken from the side, I am curious to see how its setup and can maybe suggest a few things to improve your position.

To put things in perspective, I felt the same you did when I started riding, but about 2 yrs later I changed out my stem to a 100mm flat stem from a 90mm 15 degree rise stem, and moved my saddle forward about 2" or so. I'm 6' and change on a 19" frame for reference.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Dman777
    "beer *****es n' bikes"- Hey, I like that! That's a good motto

I don't really feel like I am going to go flying over the bars, but there's so much wieght in the front it's hard for me to take tight turns and the slightest rock or pot hole will throw the front tire to the side if I don't hold my body wieght shifted back. I would take a pic but don't digital camera. Do you think the Genesis Geometry on Gary Fishers would be better for this problem or be worse?

Thanks,
    -dman

beer *****es n' bikes
    "beer *****es n' bikes"- Hey, I like that! That's a good motto

I don't really feel like I am going to go flying over the bars, but there's so much wieght in the front it's hard for me to take tight turns and the slightest rock or pot hole will throw the front tire to the side if I don't hold my body wieght shifted back. I would take a pic but don't digital camera. Do you think the Genesis Geometry on Gary Fishers would be better for this problem or be worse?

Thanks,
    -dman
    Look for the Tshirt coming soon...

Anyways, GF is owned by Trek now or vice versa, so the geometry on them is extremely similar. In your case it sounds almost like the bike is steering too fast and is too twitchy for your tastes. Narrowing your bars could help. Also what front shock are you running? Do you run with the shock loose or stiff?
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

One gear to rule them all

New question here.

Dman, It sounds like you should take your bike to someone who knows how to properly fit a bike. First, your saddle position should be adjusted in relationship to your cranks, then you can adjust the handlebar postion.
    The thing that really does not make sense to me, is that your front wheel is washing out (sliding). If you have a lot of weight on your front wheel, this should have the opposite effect.
    The 17.5" size sounds OK to me. It might be a tad small, but I would rather have too small than too big. What stem length are you using. Short stems can make a bike feel twitchy.
    I can't be that much help through the net, you really need to be one on one with someone who is experienced in fitting Mnt. bikes. Once that is done you can make small personal adjustments from there.
    Good luck.

Thanks,
    -dman[/QUOTE]

Medium?

Yup. 19.5==too big

If you want to try out a different size, buy a wild west frame from universalcycles.com. You'll upgrade to steel, and get a better size all for about $200 shipping included. Most of the parts from your bike will fit except the seatpost and clamp, and maybe the bottom bracket. The BB you have is probably junk anyway. A really good XT BB will set you back another $20.