Help with this crank......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Help with this crank......

I have a old alivio crank that I want to use for SS, I've searched and can you help me find the right bcd chainring to fit. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    104 110 94 are all I know. Maybe take it to a shop and get them to check it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks like a 110.
    Look at this page - the example they use matches your picture's measurement.
    Bicycle Chainrings (Chainwheels) from Harris Cyclery

mtbr member
    On the opposite side of the arms, what model is it? I had an Alivio crank on my '98ish Scott that was 5 bolt and mounted all 3 rings in that one hole. I have yet to find a chainring with the same bcd.

nothing to see here
    I'll put money on 64mm. Measure from the centre of the bolt hole to the centre of the square taper hole and then double the result.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It doesn't have a model number on the arms, I've looked. The triple chainrings were all together and only mounted in the one hole. It measures 64, so I'm guessing no one makes a chainring that small. My other SS has a sinz chainring and it's 110mm and it is ginormous compared to this crank. I was trying to save some money cuz I need a fork with my new project.

one chain loop
    my best guess is 74mm bcd, that's the bcd for the inner chainring. for that bcd, 30t is the highest tooth count. you might have to shim it too so that the teeth and chain will not touch the spider.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

one chain loop
    ^ i think henry nailed it. 67mm ftw!
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    These cranks came off a 96 gt ricochet, I bought it in 96 and it was a 7 speed.I found one similar on eBay but these cranks have numbers but 175mm.

mtbr member
    175mm is the length of the crank arms.

Those alivio cranks are a sort of Shimano evolutionary dead end. It looks like the middle and large ring were only available as a two ring cluster. 67mm as a bolt circle diameter is BCD is very odd. A new ring will be almost impossible to find. The most popular ring BCD now is 104mm, with a huge assortment of rings. I do not think it would be cost effective to look for a 67mm chainring, as it only comes in a large and middle ring cluster and has not been made in almost 15 years. It will not be easy to find, itís a major limiting factor in ring selection.

I would replace those cranks with something like this:

Shimano Alivio MC20 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Cheap, square taper and 104bcd.
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

Dinner for wolves
    Either 58 or 74mm. Punch the part number into google along with "shimano" and figure it on out. I agree with fish creek, though. If I was shooting from the hip I would guess 74mm. In that case it is the perfect crank for a SS micro drive application. 24:16!!! Prepare for ludicrous chain stretch if you go that route.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys for all the help. I'll be searching for a different crankset for my SS project.

Members who have read this thread: 1