help with a convert-a-bike project...- Mtbr.com
    TC
    mtbr member

help with a convert-a-bike project...

I have a raleigh M-40 and want to convert it to a single speed for commuting and playing around on single track. I replaced the crap fork that had no travel left, so now the bike is rigid. Tired of slipping chain and ghost shifting and want the single speed challenge for fitness and technical sharpness.

I want to go whole hog, not just rig the derailuer not to shift...I want a new cog in rear and ideally a new crankset with single ring up front.

is it worth the upgrade $ on this old bike that cost $400 new 5 years ago? frame is sound. rynolite wheels and specialized enduro tires. everything else is very low end shimano stuff.

advice please...

thanks!

tc
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I spent 400 dollars on a bike back in Feburary. Already I'm sick of the low end shifting and I decided to try out a conversion and see how that goes, full well aware of the fact that I just MAY prefer gears and upgrade the derailleur after all.

I spent about 80 bucks or so... conversion kit, single speed chain, chain tensioner, single front chainring.

I'll let you know if I dig it or not after I ride it for a few days.

TC
    mtbr member
    after a few minutes of searching the net, I found some good stuff at a few hot ss spots:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
    excellent, technical "ins and outs" of everything ss.

also, surly site is a great resource:
    http://www.surlybikes.com/spew3.html

this last one is very cautionary and enlightening to me in my current state of learning more about bikes in general. great stuff on maintenance, precision adjustments and the effects of normal wear and tear on a drivetrain.

thanks to anyone who offers more insights along the way.

roasted, i look forward to hearing more from you. any pictures of your conversion and links to the products you installed would be helpful too.

thanks.
    tc
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

Nat
    mtbr member
    Here too:
    http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx

I have an SS conversion on which I spent very little. Mostly I used old parts left over from previous bikes. My main expense was a new frame ($15 at swap meet) and a rigid fork ($30).

mtbr member
    I started in the same way. Converted an old frame to see if I would like it. Turns out I loved it and eventually upgraded everything. Eventually bought a SOMA SS specific frame and moved everything I had upgrade over to that.....

It's definitely cheaper just to buy a dedicated SS but I really enjoyed the learning experience....

Members who have read this thread: 0