Help with choosing a drivtrain for Spec Allez Epic- Mtbr.com
    Rather Die Ridin'
    Apr 2004

New question here. Help with choosing a drivtrain for Spec Allez Epic

I am new to the SSer club and I am converting my 1990 Specialized Allez Epic to an SSer. I will primarily be using it for endurance training (not as a commuter). I currently have Ultegra groupo on it, but I am wondering what drivetrain would be best for my set up. The BB is the old square taper which is still in good shape.

I have been searching for a complete SS on the internet, but I can't find one that I like let alone one that would fit me. Any help would be appreciated.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

horizontal dropouts?

if you got 'em, good.
    take off the big ring, re-install the inner chainring with shorter BMX/track chainring bilts.
    pick a cog with a good number of teeth for you. put it on your cassette hub body where it lines up with the chainring, and put spacers everywhere else until you fill up the cassette body. tighten lockring.
    shorten chain so it tensions in the horizontals.

mtbr member
    I converted my Lemond Zurich to a fixie some time ago. It was a double up front so initially I used the stock BB (square taper) and 42T chainring that was on there. I eventually went to a shorter Phil Wood BB so that I could mount the chainring on the outside of the crank arm tabs (for aesthetics). The Phil BB also (more importantly) enabled me to dial in the chainline. The only other special part I bought was a Phil Wood flip/flop hub. I was able to go without a chain tensioner because the frame has semi-horizontal drop-outs. Any SS hub will work as long as it is spaced properly. You could also use spacers and a DX cog if you did not want to buy a new hub/wheel. If I missed anything shoot me a line.

Hope this helps.

dd..''

Members who have read this thread: 0