Help with chain slack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Help with chain slack

I've browsed several "post em" threads here and everyone seems to get along without a tensioner, even vertical dropouts. I saw only one bike here in all my searches with a tensioner installed. I have a tensioner on this bike now, what am I missing, here? I'd love to do without.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Take a link out? Half-link?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    One link is too much, but I just researched half links. Don't know much about them. I guess that's my only option here.

But the tensioner works fine. Just not as clean lookin.

mtbr member
    Figure out the length of your chainstays and find the magic gear

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    I've browsed several "post em" threads here and everyone seems to get along without a tensioner, even vertical dropouts. I saw only one bike here in all my searches with a tensioner installed. I have a tensioner on this bike now, what am I missing, here? I'd love to do
    They may have EBB's that you cannot see.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatniqwood09 View Post
    Figure out the length of your chainstays and find the magic gear
    +1 - and don't forget chain stretch.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That MRP doohicky is not a tensioner, it's a guide. You need a chain tensioner like a Surly Singleator that mounts where the derailleur used to be (there are other types, but this style is the most common). Take that MRP guide off - it is useless on a single speed and is meant for bikes with a rear derailleur and no front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You need to compute your magic gear. You will need to measure your chainstay length, then enter it into the FixMeUp applet:

http://eehouse.org/fixin/fmu1_1_big.php

You will need the Java runtime installed to run this.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    That MRP doohicky is not a tensioner, it's a guide. You need a chain tensioner like a Surly Singleator that mounts where the derailleur used to be (there are other types, but this style is the most common). Take that MRP guide off - it is useless on a single speed and is meant for bikes with a rear derailleur and no front derailleur.
    This - didn't even think about that. If you think the MRP thing is a tensioner it isn't. You either need the magic gear, a tensioner or use an old deraileur.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    I've browsed several "post em" threads here and everyone seems to get along without a tensioner, even vertical dropouts.
    Much of that is because people are purists and will do ANYTHING to avoid using something that LOOKS like it is tensioning the chain.

Here's my tensioner, AKA Blackspire Stinger. My other bike has a Rennen tensioner in the rear. I will not touch spring loaded tensioners, unless I go crazy and get a singlespeed FS bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with chain slack-22062012859_p.jpg  

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Members who have read this thread: 0