Help: Available internal geared hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Help: Available internal geared hubs

So I am familair with SpeedHub and SRAM and I was sure that there was new company making these now, but I only find info on SpeedHub and SRAM.

I have a friend that is interested in using an SS drive train, but would like like gears, so I told him SpeedHub and SRAM, but I was sure I read about a new product months ago that was much lighter then a SpeedHub and cannot think of the brand.

I am sure someone on here is very familiar with the options available other then these two companies.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    sturmy archer
    Shimano

highly visible
    The only disc compatible internally geared hubs available are the SRAM Dual Drive Disc (I currently have one, in its 3rd winter of commuting) and the Rohloff. Shimano also recently introduced the 8 speed Alfine, but it's Europe only for the moment. Sturmey-Archer is going to introduce a 9 speed hub (disc, I think) shortly.

If your friend doesn't need to run discs, the options widen considerably:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs-internal.html
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Fahrrad fahren
    Quote Originally Posted by SS_Belmont2
    So I am familair with SpeedHub and SRAM and I was sure that there was new company making these now, but I only find info on SpeedHub and SRAM.

I have a friend that is interested in using an SS drive train, but would like like gears, so I told him SpeedHub and SRAM, but I was sure I read about a new product months ago that was much lighter then a SpeedHub and cannot think of the brand.

I am sure someone on here is very familiar with the options available other then these two companies.

Thanks in advance!
    If you want to use it for reliable off-road use, then the Rohloff Speedhub is your only real choice.

Road use gives more choices-
    SRAM makes the S-7 and will soon release i motion 9 speed with disc. They also make the pretty durable P5.
    http://www.sram-imotion.com/

Shimano red band nexus 8 speed. Alfine - Someone in europe will sell it to you.

Sturmey Archer - disc version of their 8 speed
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=HU2206

Nuvinci - http://www.atcnuvinci.com/ don't know anything about 'em.

Isn't there some Canadian company doing a knock off of the speed hub? I recall reading something about that here once.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member
    Currently Rohloff is the only hub rated for MTB. They do however have a lighter version coming out (~1lb!) but I don't know the due date (or if it is still listed as a rumor).

There are several other hubs that are reported to be MTB-able, or soon to be listed as a MTB product, but again, they are rumors. Of these are the red-band Nexus 8-speed and Alfine 8-speed (same hub) and the SRAM I9, both being offered as a disc hub in 07.

SRAM and Shimano (Nexus) have other geared hubs, but they are for city use only (I've broken a few).

Strumy-Archer (part of Suntour now) has an 8-speed disc hub, but it is city only. NuPace have a CVT hub out, which was re-branded by Freeride Hubs with a disc rotor, but Freeride seems to be out of that business (NuPace is still there). Both hubs have thier direct drive gear as the lowest, which does not make them as useful for MTB.

Fallsbrook/NuVinci also have a CVT hub out (disc compatible) - new product, city only for now. It also weighs 10lb!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    I have a 3-speed SRAM Dual Drive.... but do not not ride it often. Perhaps Glowboy and Itsodable can elaborate on durability/longevity... not sure which model(s) they have used.

mtbr member
    Uhhh.... not trying to sound like a complete butt nugget but I though this was a single speed forum? You may get more advice in the "Everything Drivetrain" forum.

highly visible
    My DualDrive Disc has been 100% reliable. (3 gears plus the ability to run a full cassette w/derailer, though I've done the cog+spacers / no-tensioner thing as I do on my singlespeeds instead). I'd guess it has about 3000 miles on it, never seen a lick of maintenance and still runs flawlessly. It's been used 95% for commuting, but does also get ridden offroad for a few miles every few weeks, including plenty of mud. Not a ton of steep low-gear climbing offroad, but the on-road approach to my offroad area involves climbs of 12-15% for a couple blocks at a time, involving full force stomping out of the saddle in low gear. I can't imagine "real" MTBing would be any harder on it, and again I've had zero trouble with it.

mtbcyclist, having hung out on this board for over 5 years, I can tell you that internally geared hub topics come up quite frequently here. No they're not singlespeeds, but many of the setup issues are the same as for singlespeeds and there's quite a bit of knowledge about them here. As you can see from the replies above.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    My 3-speed SRAM dual drive disc hub is still working, currently on a Christini dual drive (which ran as a SS for a short time, but 2-wheel drive bikes really do need a very low gear - there's my SS content!). It's running with a single cog (no cassette). My SRAM 3-speed hub has not seen alot of miles though.

I know that Redhaze broke his, but I think he was doing drops. The axle broke - which is not that surprising since it is the same dimensions as a regular mtb axle, but is hollowed out with slots so the shift control rods can access the internal gears.

I also broke a Shimano Nexus 7-speed hub with 4 months of trail riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0