help- Mtbr.com

Thread: help

mtbr member

help

i'm attempting to set-up a derailleur to use as a chain tensioner...it's a Sora. as of now, my chainline is perfect, however, the derailleur will not adjust to where i need it.

see the adjusting screw, and the little knub? there's about a 1 - 2mm gap that's keeping me from running good. the derailleur is pulling the chain just enough to pull it off the cog. would a mtb derailleur work better for some reason?

try driving your car less

use a cable

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    i'm attempting to set-up a derailleur to use as a chain tensioner...it's a Sora. as of now, my chainline is perfect, however, the derailleur will not adjust to where i need it.

see the adjusting screw, and the little knub? there's about a 1 - 2mm gap that's keeping me from running good. the derailleur is pulling the chain just enough to pull it off the cog. would a mtb derailleur work better for some reason?
    take an old shifter cable. put it through the derailluer, with the little end peice that usually sits in the shifter sitting against where the cable housing usually ends at the der. so you will have a really short peice of cable. now you can use the barrel adjuster to adjust chainline. does that make sense?/??
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    i was thinking about that. wasn't sure if it'd work or not, though.

this is gonna sound really dumb, but where does housing usually end at the derailleur? doesn't it end in the barrel adjuster? or do you mean one of the housing boss/guide things on the seatstay?

One gear to rule them all

the cable end goes in the barrel adjuster. nm

no monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    i was thinking about that. wasn't sure if it'd work or not, though.

this is gonna sound really dumb, but where does housing usually end at the derailleur? doesn't it end in the barrel adjuster? or do you mean one of the housing boss/guide things on the seatstay?

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    The cables goes thru the barrel adjuster and ends at the locking screw.

All you need is a small piece of cable with cable ends at both ends, put the cable first and then the cable ends, thight the bolt and you're ready to adjust.

mtbr member
    wow, that was a lot simpler than i was making it out to be. problem fixed...gracias.

Members who have read this thread: 0