mtbr member
    May 2004

Headset spacers and SS build ???

I am finishing up my SS build and have a question or two. I plan on running my SS rigid, but would like the option of pulling my squishy fork of my geared bike to mix things up every once in a while. The frame headtubes are pretty much the same size and I have the same headset on both frames. The only difference is in stem height. The stem on the SS is a little shorter in height and to get the already cut squishy fork to fit, I need more spacers. My question, after all of this rambling is, how many spacers can I use? I have seen many places that 20mm is the typical max and according to my measurements I would need an additional 7mm to get the fork to fit with the current stem. Is the 20mm a hard number not to passed? Or can I get away with an additional 7mm without causing me any pain, literally?

Thanks a bunch!

Mtn Biker Machinist

no problemo

I had a bike with over an inch of spacers, and the LBS said it should be no problem. I seem to remember it being like 1.5" or something. Without measuring, I am pretty sure I have at least an inch on both my rigid SS's right now. You should be fine!

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_donkey
    I am finishing up my SS build and have a question or two. I plan on running my SS rigid, but would like the option of pulling my squishy fork of my geared bike to mix things up every once in a while. The frame headtubes are pretty much the same size and I have the same headset on both frames. The only difference is in stem height. The stem on the SS is a little shorter in height and to get the already cut squishy fork to fit, I need more spacers. My question, after all of this rambling is, how many spacers can I use? I have seen many places that 20mm is the typical max and according to my measurements I would need an additional 7mm to get the fork to fit with the current stem. Is the 20mm a hard number not to passed? Or can I get away with an additional 7mm without causing me any pain, literally?

Thanks a bunch!
    You're fine. Run the extra spacers. nm

Probably drunk right now

Which reminds me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    You're fine. Run the extra spacers. nm

I've been running for 2 years with an extra inch of spacers above my stem. Since I haven't made a stem height adjustment in the time frame, I guess it will be OK to go ahead and cut the steerer tube down now. Execept it looks so cool and I won't have as much metal to jam my knee in to on climbs.

Ken

mtbr member

don't worry

I think any max number would apply to the spacers under the stem. Above the stem? The spacers only matter when installing the stem, after installation the top cap and spacers are just decorations.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    ...after installation the top cap and spacers are just decorations.
    So a Fast Freddy top cap doesn't make you go faster? Damn!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    So a Fast Freddy top cap doesn't make you go faster? Damn!
    I believe that would be the exception.

Now I need to get me one........if I just used a star nut.

You Are What You Is
    I've been running for 2 years with an extra inch of spacers above my stem. Since I haven't made a stem height adjustment in the time frame, I guess it will be OK to go ahead and cut the steerer tube down now. Execept it looks so cool and I won't have as much metal to jam my knee in to on climbs.

Ken
    Another reason NOT to cut the excess steerer tube is for better resale value of your fork if you ever decide to sell it. The longer the steerer tube the better (unless of course you have like 2" sticking up above your stem). I ride XL sized bikes with 6" head tubes and every time I search for a used fork on ebay or MTBR it seems like the steerer tube is inevitably too short. I almost always have to buy new. I've never cut a steerer tube on my bikes, but then I only have about a half inch above the stem.

Probably drunk right now

Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Another reason NOT to cut the excess steerer tube is for better resale value of your fork if you ever decide to sell it. The longer the steerer tube the better (unless of course you have like 2" sticking up above your stem). I ride XL sized bikes with 6" head tubes and every time I search for a used fork on ebay or MTBR it seems like the steerer tube is inevitably too short. I almost always have to buy new. I've never cut a steerer tube on my bikes, but then I only have about a half inch above the stem.
    But I don't plan on selling this fork. It's sort of mated to the bike. And it's too late anyhow. I went to my LBS over lunch and cut it down to size.

Ken

You Are What You Is
    But I don't plan on selling this fork. It's sort of mated to the bike. And it's too late anyhow. I went to my LBS over lunch and cut it down to size.

Ken
    *gasp* Never say never. UGI hits when you least expect it ;-)