Headset replacement question, 1" steertube...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Headset replacement question, 1" steertube...

I have been working on my super lob budget single for a while now and finally found a shock to replace the rigid fork. It's a brand new, uncut (10' steer tube), threadless, 2002 rock shox Judy TT. I got it for $80 shipped. There are not many 1" suspension forks out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. Anyway, my frame has a threaded headset now and I was wondering what the best way is to remove the bottom cup which is pressed into the head tube. Can I just knock it out with a hammer and long screwdriver?

The frame is a stripped and polished 1992 cannondale M700

Next upgrades besides the fork are a slasa 34t front ring, 18t novatec rear cog, new wheelset (ebay $45) with femco DM rims and joytech hubs and skeweres) since the current rims are thrashed, an MRP roller to replace the little cog on the singulator chain tensioner and a NOS $5 KORE stem...

... I still need to find a 1" threadless headset, any suggestions???

Thanks!
    Rob

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Screwdriver ought to work fine since you're just going to trashcan the cup. Then again, it is an aluminum frame, so be careful not to gouge the interior of the head tube.

I built a reusable headset cup punch out of PVC that works pretty well. Click on my profile and "My Web Page" for a link to it (and pics) in an old MTBR post.

Sometimes old cups get awfully corroded -- basically glued in place -- and it might be necessary to cough up the $10 or whatever to have the LBS punch it with the proper tool. My PVC punch didn't cut it for getting a 1" cup out of a 10 year old steel frame.

FSA Orbit XLII is an excellent, modestly priced headset that comes in a 1" version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    excellent info! Thank you..

R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rligeti
    excellent info! Thank you..

R
    Chris King has a 1" No-Threadset that I believe is more for road bikes but should be tough enough for a mountain bike, given King's reputation. I doubt the design is any different, but it is expensive, ~$109. I'm debating replacing the headset in my 1" head tube and see that Cane Creek has some reasonably priced headsets. They're harder to find, but you'll locate something.

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004
    FSA and Cane Creek offer best bang for the buck in budget headsets. Ritchey has a good looking budget headset too, but I've never used one so I don't know if it's really as good as it seems. And since you are working with an aluminum frame, just let your LBS punch the cups out and install your new headset. A screwdriver can easily gouge aluminum, creating stress risers in one of the worst places to have one. The LBS shouldn't charge you much for the service, it's a really quick job.

Birdman aka JMJ

Syncros 1" threadless headset??

I love mine, got it for under $30.

Nice bike - JMJ

Quote Originally Posted by rligeti
    I have been working on my super lob budget single for a while now and finally found a shock to replace the rigid fork. It's a brand new, uncut (10' steer tube), threadless, 2002 rock shox Judy TT. I got it for $80 shipped. There are not many 1" suspension forks out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. Anyway, my frame has a threaded headset now and I was wondering what the best way is to remove the bottom cup which is pressed into the head tube. Can I just knock it out with a hammer and long screwdriver?

The frame is a stripped and polished 1992 cannondale M700

Next upgrades besides the fork are a slasa 34t front ring, 18t novatec rear cog, new wheelset (ebay $45) with femco DM rims and joytech hubs and skeweres) since the current rims are thrashed, an MRP roller to replace the little cog on the singulator chain tensioner and a NOS $5 KORE stem...

... I still need to find a 1" threadless headset, any suggestions???

Thanks!
    Rob