Head West Young Man- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Head West Young Man

And that I am. On the market for a new ride and wondering if a SS is appropriate for some of the places I'll be. I'm originally from central PA and have never been past here!

AZ, CO, and OR are my destinations (among stops other places). So curious if a SS would be okay for whatever the conditions out there are.

Oh and if so, any recommendations?

mtbr member
    I can only comment on Oregon...And I ride SS here. It's appropriate on most of the trails I ride, but in my opinion, you may enjoy yourself a little more with some extra gears.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

aka baycat
    Fruita (CO), Bend (OR) and Tucson (AZ) are tits on a single speed. While it might not be the ideal bike it is doable there, especially in Oregon.

mtbr member
    I single speed on the front range of CO. Even with the climbs, it's not too much. Just find a gearing that is appropriate and you'll be okay.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The climbs in the west are longer and more gradual as opposed to the east where they are shorter but brutally steep in many cases. If you do ok here on the ss you should have no problems out there.

mtbr member
    Fruita/ GJ(lunchloop) is great on a SS.However, I would recomend a front shock. The terrain is a little diff. compared 2 rolling over tree roots. If U get out here shoot me a PM, I love showing noobies around!
    I simply want to do Gods will...And he has allowed me to go to the Mountain>>>>>>>

mtbr member
    i used to live in maryland, and i rode ss pretty much everywhere there. i now live in northern california. i ride my ss in the foothills of the sierras a lot. when i know i am going to be doing a ton of climbing, i will run 32/20, not 32/18. having a few extra cogs may be a good idea.

Members who have read this thread: 0