HBC on Kona Unit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

HBC on Kona Unit?

I bought a 2011 Kona Unit a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it so far. I want to make things a little easier on me while I work my way into ss shape so I'm thinking about ordering one or two items from HBC.

Do you recommend swapping the chainring or the cog first? Their website mentions that it's sometimes necessary to make some mods to the crank to make a 31t chainring work, would that be the case on the Unit?

Out spokin'
    Nice bike, nice pooch.

Doesn't matter which you switch first. I have a 4-bolt 31t HBC ring but I can't tell you if you'll have to mod your crank for a couple reasons. First, I don't even have my crank yet so I don't know if it'll have to be modded, and second I don't know which crank you've got on you Unit so YMMV anyway. Worst case you'd have to remove a tiny bit of material (with a file) from the ends of spider bolt hole tangs if, but only if, the chain rides up on them. Not hard to do in any case.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    If you just get a bigger cog you can order a 32t ring and not have to worry about modding anything.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    If you just get a bigger cog you can order a 32t ring and not have to worry about modding anything.
    This is true. I probably shouldn't say what I'm about to say... cuz we're on the singlespeed forum and what I'm about to say isn't related to singlespeeding... but whatever. Here goes.

When I'm not SS-ing, I'm 1x-ing. I've discovered that a 30t chainring (on a 29er) renders the perfect (for me) gear range with a 11-36t cassette. Not being a fan of the Widgit, but being a huge fan of HBC, I got as close as I could on a 4-bolt crank by getting a 31t ring.

When I get my new 1x10 finished, I won't post photos here.

Anyway, back to SS talk. CB2, your point is totally valid... just go up a tooth on the cog rather than down on the ring. Except that a one-tooth jump on the cog equals closer to 2 teeth on the ring, so one-tooth jumps on the ring allow the hypersensitive crowd to really dial in the gear they like.

I'm babbling. Again.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    cog cog cog cog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I know this isn't what the OP asked and I hate it when people do this but here I go anyway. I have been riding for a long time geared and was in pretty good shape when I bought a 2011Kona about two months ago. When I first rode the 32 18 gearing I was a little intimidated by it so I went out and bought a Surly 20t "to get into SS shape". I rode that gear for maybe 50 miles and the whole time thinking it was too low. Then I bought a Blackspire 34t chainring so I wouldn't have to give up my kinda pricy 20t. I rode this ratio for a long time and finally decided on 34 19 from HBC which is perfect for me on the trails I ride. My point it don't go out and spend a lot of money on a HBC combo (plus you have to wait a month or so for delivery as stated on his website) until you find your magic ratio. You could buy a few cheap stamped cogs first until you get into SS shape then go for the HBC combo. Also I apologize if you have this all thought out, just trying to save you a little money.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonByers View Post
    ... I apologize if you have this all thought out, just trying to save you a little money.
    Never apologize for rendering excellent advice. Rep +.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Sparticus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys, that's a bunch of good info. I was a little eager and I ordered a 31t chainring and a 19t cog from HBC but it never hurts to support the smaller companies. I figure one or both of them should do the trick since I don't want to make huge changes. While I wait for them to put the order together I'll do some playing around with some cheap cogs from my lbs.

CB2
    Jam Econo

A slippery slope I've been down

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    This is true. I probably shouldn't say what I'm about to say... cuz we're on the singlespeed forum and what I'm about to say isn't related to singlespeeding... but whatever. Here goes.

When I'm not SS-ing, I'm 1x-ing. I've discovered that a 30t chainring (on a 29er) renders the perfect (for me) gear range with a 11-36t cassette. Not being a fan of the Widgit, but being a huge fan of HBC, I got as close as I could on a 4-bolt crank by getting a 31t ring.

When I get my new 1x10 finished, I won't post photos here.

Anyway, back to SS talk. CB2, your point is totally valid... just go up a tooth on the cog rather than down on the ring. Except that a one-tooth jump on the cog equals closer to 2 teeth on the ring, so one-tooth jumps on the ring allow the hypersensitive crowd to really dial in the gear they like.

I'm babbling. Again.

--sParty
    Depending on what cranks I have on the bike I'll either have a 32, 33, or 34 tooth chainring.
    I raced primarily with a 34 in 2009. In 2010 I started with the 32, and got the bright idea to swap to a 33. The half size of the 33 left me feeling like Goldilocks.
    For better or worse I swapped back to even sizes.

Members who have read this thread: 0