Have you seen it?- Mtbr.com
    surly inbred

Have you seen it?

because I lost it... the passion, that is.

Truth be told I've been on two tires once since my Utah trip. Maybe it's the thought of a 20 mile drive to trail. Maybe it's the humidity pegged at an unreasonable level. Browse the catalogs, lust after the Passion posts, read the mags... I feel it, but I don't feel it.

I think it's something else.

I've dabbled in the SS world... but don't think I gave it a fair shake, really. I continue to be lured by the simplicity of it, though. Something new? Something to push me, challenge me? This frame looks nice, and oooh, that one, too. EBB or Horizontal drops? Wait, there's a 575 in the stand. Love it. Cherish it's qualities. I'm confused.

Been there?

banned
    Time for a 29.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Conquer a nemesis- you know, that rock garden that just trips you up or maybe that log pile that plays mental confidence games with you. Beat that sucker down. Then do it again. That fire will burn in your soul once again.
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

surly inbred
    In a way I think I already know the answer. I need to challenge myself... bring it to the next level. Hurt.

Hard to believe I am seriously considering moving the goods from the Yeti to a rigid SS, sight unseen.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Harp
    Hard to believe I am seriously considering moving the goods from the Yeti to a rigid SS, sight unseen.
    Good idea.

Category Winner
    In a way I think I already know the answer. I need to challenge myself... bring it to the next level. Hurt.

DO IT.
    My last squish bike was an Ellsworth ID. It lasted three months. I never wanted to ride anything but my SS. Over two years, and I haven't looked back with a morsel of regret.
    Preach out.
    This post brought to you by:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Good idea.
    Think outside the box, right? If you do what you've always done....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    DO IT.
    Okay, so what brought [you all] to it... progression? boredom?

Where is this unknown need coming from?

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    I have your same problem somedays. I'm staring and working on 575s, Konas, Specialeds, etc all day long. Every once in a while I get that little craving for a little cushion and mabe some of those fancy shifty thingys and some easy on the knees gearing. Then I come to my freakin senses, drop a pedal wrench on my foot and cowboy up! I ask the next customer who comes in for a derailleur if they want thier complimentary "Skort" to go with thier gears! I have a RIGID fork and cantis near my work bench and I'm not afraid to use them! Whoops sorry....getting a little carried away....going riding tomorrow with the gearies......MUHAHAHAHA
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Singlespeed..

In over 50 years of cycling, I've done most things you can do on a bike. I started off as a kid on a rigid riding with my mates, just like most of us did.

Over the years I found myself "progressing" to gears and suspension. As my income increased, I got more expensive and complicated bicycles, for both off road and on road.

I burnt out quite a few times on bikes...but I always came back because I just couldn't get over the freedom that the bike offers.

Usually, when I came back, I would dig out the old heavy rigid singlespeed and just start riding it again.

Now I have come full circle. I ride a rigid singlespeed all the time. I sold all my other bikes and just ride the singlespeed everywhere...

It's not the old heavy model that I used to have though. This one is a modern marvel of technology, with very good components .... but it is still a singlespeed.

I can afford just about any bike that is available. I could buy it tomorrow if I wanted to. The latest blingy multi-geared suspended wonder machine could be mine at the click of a mousebutton and the swift electronic transfer of funds to anywhere in the world.

But I ride a singlespeed, a rigid singlespeed.

Why?

Because it is the only bike that really gives me the challenge that I crave...the bike that keeps me riding and suffering every time I ride it. I know that there are hills that I will never be able to climb on it, but I keep on trying, every time I ride. I push my personal limits every time I ride, I grunt and sweat and burn and hurt and crash in a heap trying, and THAT is what keeps me going out there and pushing myself.

Sure, I know that if I put gears on it I can almost pedal it up a wall, but where is the challenge in that?

I know that if I put suspension on it that the trails will be smoother and easier on my body, but where is the challenge in that?

We need to push the envelope, we need to challenge ourselves, to burn and hurt and keep on trying and never give in. THAT is what makes cycling so good.

If I was you, I would go get a singlespeed. If you really want to challenge yourself, go get a rigid 29'er singlespeed.

You won't get bored then. Your body will be screaming, but your joy will overcome the pain.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

surly inbred
    Just thinking out loud here, so random thoughts... not necessarily a plea for justification.

I love the Yeti. Don't want to give it up. It's a do all, ride all day, shoot 'em up, git 'er done steed. But,

A train of thought says, ditch it all... shock pressure, fork rebound, just get back to the trail. Feel it for what it is. See the lines, ride the lines.

I'm never first in line, rarely last. Suck wind like the best of 'em. Topple on cue. Regardless, there's an urge. Am I cheating myself for riding technology before I manhandle the fundamentals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    We need to push the envelope, we need to challenge ourselves, to burn and hurt and keep on trying and never give in. THAT is what makes cycling so good.
    That strikes a chord.

I think a change of scenery is in order...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Get yourself down to the hospital.. talk to the people that cant walk, let alone ride.

Gears, SS, Rigid, Bouncer.. none of it makes much of a difference.

As stupid dipshit hippy as this is gonna sound..

Its your state of mind

1 - go for a hard ass ride with a good mate, laugh and stuff around and it'll all come back to you.
    2 - go for an urban mission, hit up a skatepark, double your missus to the shop, practic wheelies in the driveway. Simplifying doesnt have to mean a new bike.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Very cool avatar- how you do dat?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Maybe it's the thought of a 20 mile drive to trail.

Been there?
    Time to get a road bike. Make it a SS or a FG if you are so inclined. Mix it up.

Man cannot live on dirt alone; you need a little asphalt and smooth, silky, speed in your diet. Plus, you'll get to check out the roadie chicks dolled out in extra short lycra.

You can refrain from wearing lycra.

mtbr member
    no reason you can't have a 575 AND a SS. I ride both (575 in the morning and the SS in the evening... ahhh, the benefits of early retirement) and couldn't be any happier.

mtbr member
    On the other hand ... you cannot force yourself to have passion for something. Riding a bike should have little to do with gears, suspension or size of wheels. I ride rigid SS, geared FS and a road bike and my problem is choosing which one to take out.

These days the road bike is getting much attention due to a knee injury. It is easier to manage the level of effort on the road. Harder on the trail. Impossible on the SS.

I hope you find your passion soon. My advice is to keep the geared FS bike and get an SS bike and use them both to add variety and celebrate their differences.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8200rpm
    Time to get a road bike. Make it a SS or a FG if you are so inclined. Mix it up.

Man cannot live on dirt alone; you need a little asphalt and smooth, silky, speed in your diet. Plus, you'll get to check out the roadie chicks dolled out in extra short lycra.

You can refrain from wearing lycra.
    True. Nothing re-ignites my passion for off-roading like riding 5 feet on pavement.

mtbr member
    Take a break, do something else for a while....

get a road bike, go fishing, take a backpacking trip for a weekend
    One thing i have noticed is it is good to mix up the rides ....i am fortunate to have three good trail systems nearby
    I get burned out riding the same place too much

don't worry, it will come back to you
    Last edited by upstatesspdr; 07-28-2006 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member

Don't give yourself and option.

Pawn the computer you use for the net and sink the cash into a ss. Burn the mags so you can't sit on the couch reading them. Then burn the couch and throw your gearies and dualies on top (raid any parts ok for your ss). Then with nothing to read, nothing to sit on, and nothing to type on, your only option will be to ride - only your ss will be left, so you'll have to ride that! Problem solved.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MOTIVATION. Get out there and ride, the love will follow.
    One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.

Members who have read this thread: 0