Has anyone tried 2010 model Race Face X-type bottom bracket?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Has anyone tried 2010 model Race Face X-type bottom bracket?

I was one of the "lucky" folks that bought the Race Face Deus XC cranks when they first came out, a few years ago. Fail. Good news, warranty replacement was relatively painless. The shop was great - and Race Faced fulfilled their commitment, too - in that, they sent me a new crankset. Cool. Fine. Zero problems in well over a year. This time around, maybe I've been really lucky. Recently, I've noticed that the X-type BB is not-so-smooth anymore...a sign of inevitable doom, I'm sure. From reviews I've read, plenty of folks have dogged the Race Face and Shimano external (or X-type) bottom brackets when time for replacement. Any thoughts on the supposedly "re-designed" 2010 Race Face Deus XC or Diabolous X-type BB? My understanding is that the bearings are now larger and also packed w/ Phil Wood grease - and rebuildable. Really? I've heard good things about the new Chris King and Hope bottom brackets, but both of those are out of my price range (this close to Christmas, no doubt). Any thoughts or input = greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    EL_MATADOR
    EL_MATADOR

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am in the same boat so i am interested aswell.External bbs are a nice idea but the bearings really are s..t.

mtbr member
    just keep your cups and have your LBS install the Enduro bearings shouldn't be more than $30-40 out the door with larger/longer lasting bearings
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    The RF X-type bottom brackets have always claimed 'packed with Phil Wood grease'. Thats not new for 2010.
    For the last couple of years, I have put up with RF BBs. They don't seem to last very long. I can typically get 3-4 months of hard use out of one before its rough and makes noises.
    For all of the money I have invested in replacement RF BBs, I could have outfitted all of my bikes with Hope or CK ceramic BBs several times over.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Members who have read this thread: 0