Has anyone converted UST Tubeless rims to normal tube rims with tape?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upset Has anyone converted UST Tubeless rims to normal tube rims with tape?

Hello all,
    I have a pair of bontrager race lites UST wheels that came with my sugar1. I want to convert them to normal tube rims. Could I do that by removing the black ust tape and replacing it with a velox tape? Has anyone done this?

So far my experience with tubeless has been a royal mess. If you use stans notubes, God forgive if you want to change a tire. The latex crap is all over and it has to be cleaned.
    On the trail the tires are a pain in the ass to repair. I never had any problems with tubes, so before I put this babies on e-bay, can I convert them to non ust?

By the way the price of that wheelset was $800.

I hate tubeless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sit and spin my ass...

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Hello all,
    I have a pair of bontrager race lites UST wheels that came with my sugar1. I want to convert them to normal tube rims. Could I do that by removing the black ust tape and replacing it with a velox tape? Has anyone done this?
    You don't even need to remove that tape unless it's connected to your valve stem. Just remove the valve and put a tire and tube on like normal.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mr. wonderful

or better yet

. . . get yourself some UST tires and forget about stans. the weight penalty for UST is about the weight of a tube. i have found with tubeless i: flat less often, can run slightly less air pressure for a more supple ride, and get better traction for climbing, cornering, and braking.

stan's is a mess and a pain. trying to convert conventional tires to tubeless with stan's CAN work great, but can be a mounting and sidewall gashing nightmare.

i run UST pythons on my single speed on very rocky and technical terrain and have had great results. i put them on dry and forget about them until they're worn out. i also run 2.35 Larson TTs (non UST) set up with stan's on my full suspension. they ride great, butare a major pain in the butt to seat and i have had to patch the sidewalls more than once.

don't give up on tubeless just yet, but consider changing the way you are going about it.

Combat Wombat

Amen brother.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    . . . get yourself some UST tires and forget about stans. the weight penalty for UST is about the weight of a tube. i have found with tubeless i: flat less often, can run slightly less air pressure for a more supple ride, and get better traction for climbing, cornering, and braking.

stan's is a mess and a pain. trying to convert conventional tires to tubeless with stan's CAN work great, but can be a mounting and sidewall gashing nightmare.

i run UST pythons on my single speed on very rocky and technical terrain and have had great results. i put them on dry and forget about them until they're worn out. i also run 2.35 Larson TTs (non UST) set up with stan's on my full suspension. they ride great, butare a major pain in the butt to seat and i have had to patch the sidewalls more than once.

don't give up on tubeless just yet, but consider changing the way you are going about it.
    I was going to write your first two paragraphs almost word for word. I bought a Giant VT-1 that came with Mavic Crossmax XL USTs and they rock. I never had an issue with the Hutchison Scorpion USTs that came with the bike or the Conti Vert Pro USTs that I use now. I was kind of apprehensive at first, because my only prior experience with tubeless was with a guy in our weekly group ride. He flatted continuously and eventually ran tubes all the time. I also got a ton of horror stories, ensuring that I would have nothing but problems with flats if I did not run Stan's Notubes in my USTs. I do not know what I am doing different, but I have nothing but praise for tubeless. Personally, I would never mess with non-UST tires and using Stans. When I mounted my Contis, I used soapy water and mounted them by hand. I had no problems airing them up with my floor pump. No tricks or super fast pumping, they inflated just like a tire with a tube. When the bike sits in my garage for a week or so between weekends, the USTs lose less air than any tire with tubes that I have ever used. Why would I want to mess with a tube? I wonder if the quality of UST tires has improved enough to make Stans and regular tires old news?

Brian