Haro Extreme blunder- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004

    Haro Extreme blunder

    Blunder my a$$. This thing is as solid as a Japanese office building.

    Here's the Haro Extreme, circa 199-something. eBay for $30 or so a few months ago.

    ENO'd a la 34/16.

    Heavy. Sturdy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Extreme blunder-100_2817.jpg  

    Haro Extreme blunder-100_2818.jpg  

    Haro Extreme blunder-100_2819.jpg  

    Haro Extreme blunder-100_2820.jpg  

    Haro Extreme blunder-100_2822.jpg  

    Haro Extreme blunder-100_2823.jpg  

    Haro Extreme blunder-100_2824.jpg  


  2. #2
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,618
    I'm sorry, but that is simply too cool.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  3. #3
    All 26.5" all the time!
    Reputation: Zanetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,855
    Keep an eye on the brazed joint where the right rear dropout meets the right chainstay. My 1990 Nishiki Alien broke at that spot as did others. Your Haro was built in the same factory around the same time.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Keep an eye on the brazed joint where the right rear dropout meets the right chainstay. My 1990 Nishiki Alien broke at that spot as did others. Your Haro was built in the same factory around the same time.
    That happened to a Nishiki Alien I had.
    I think it was the Nishiki's brake design.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    97
    Where'd you get that sweet sticker?

  6. #6
    Bike Geek
    Reputation: slowlybutsurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    420
    Another nice, old school bike!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,808
    Sweet ride. Easy belt drive conversion too then no need for that pesty chain lube stuff

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004
    Now...If I could get myself a good condition Manitou 3, 4, or EFC...

  9. #9
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,809
    Can anyone say belt drive? it would be cool but I dont thing the make belt tensioners except for on cars
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    863
    Too cool for school.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,805
    if you want that real retro look, i have a Shimano u-brake i'll sell you for a few bucks.

  12. #12
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Beautiful, beautiful freak.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1
    Haha what memories I had one around 1990 that was white, blue and bright green . Nice old school

  14. #14
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,618
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    Can anyone say belt drive? it would be cool but I dont thing the make belt tensioners except for on cars
    A belt wouldn't work on that frame, even if Erno could get a freewheel with a "belt cog" instead of a chain cog.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  15. #15
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    A belt wouldn't work on that frame, even if Erno could get a freewheel with a "belt cog" instead of a chain cog.

    --Sparty
    why do you say that, maybe if he used a eccentric Eno hub . is there not enough space for the belt cog/belt ring? I see the problem with getting the belt cog but it could use a freehub hub with an eccentric BB like the forward components one
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  16. #16
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,618
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    why do you say that, maybe if he used a eccentric Eno hub . is there not enough space for the belt cog/belt ring? I see the problem with getting the belt cog but it could use a freehub hub with an eccentric BB like the forward components one
    It's not that (although that is another problem), it's the frame. My roommate has a custom belt bike (Spot) and there needs to be extreme tension on the belt to keep it from slipping. Even with a chainstay running directly between the rear hub and the bottom bracket, it's not enough on my buddy's frame because heavy torque on the cranks creates enough frame flex for the belt to slip.

    It only happens when he's really cranking up really steep pitches, but the situation is real and it's common on belt bikes.

    Ernesto's frame would allow far too much frame flex for a belt to work, even if he could solve the other challenges.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004
    Quote Originally Posted by damnilocano
    Where'd you get that sweet sticker?
    Can't remember where I got the sticker.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: can't get right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,289
    I saw the white, blue, green version being ridden by a 40-something Soccer Mom around the Grand Canyon.
    I asked if she wanted to sell but she thought I was making fun of her and rode off in a huff.

  19. #19
    Proud Snob
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    286
    Hell yeah! I had a 92 Extreme Comp that was Hi-Liter yellow/green/pink. Such a rad bike, but I literally never rode it and got tired of tripping over it so I sold it for more than it was worth.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.