Harder to wheelie/bunnyhop on a singlespeed?- Mtbr.com
    Living the Dream

Harder to wheelie/bunnyhop on a singlespeed?

I know this may seem ridiculous, but it seems very hard to wheelie and bunny hop on my singlespeed compared to my Turner 5 SPot or my wifes geared HT. I am guessing it's due to the fact that I usually wheelie in a pretty low gear on my five spot. Keep in mind, I've only been SSing for a couple of months.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Yup, I think you've got it as the gear being higher than what you use on your geared bike. Ride on!

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Just learn how to wheelie in a higher gear.

(what gear are you running?)

Recovering Weight Weenie
    what does gearing have to do with it?
    do you pedal when you bunny hop? i sure don't.

i would bet you've been accustomed to borrowing energy from your 5-spot's suspension to bunny hop.

that's cheating!

seriously, get in the groove, keep practicing and you'll be hopping just like on the squish in no time.

gears or no gears, that's not the issue. squish or no squish certainly is.

Peace & Love
    Wheelie I can understand but not bunnyhop. In fact, if you had gears and the such on the same exact bike versus that same bike as a single speed it would be harder on the geared bike cause of more weight. Also not really fair to compare against another bike with geometry that may be more amenable to bunnyhopping versus your current single speed setup.

Riding an active volcano

Think Different

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I know this may seem ridiculous, but it seems very hard to wheelie and bunny hop on my singlespeed compared to my Turner 5 SPot or my wifes geared HT. I am guessing it's due to the fact that I usually wheelie in a pretty low gear on my five spot. Keep in mind, I've only been SSing for a couple of months.

Probably has more to do with different frame geometry, mixed with the bigger gear. It's just different, and you'll get used to it...

mtbr member

Raising the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    what does gearing have to do with it?
    do you pedal when you bunny hop? i sure don't.

i would bet you've been accustomed to borrowing energy from your 5-spot's suspension to bunny hop.

that's cheating!

seriously, get in the groove, keep practicing and you'll be hopping just like on the squish in no time.

gears or no gears, that's not the issue. squish or no squish certainly is.

From my trials days, handle bar height makes a big difference in bunny hops. The higher the bar the higher the hop. I'm not sure why.

Members who have read this thread: 2