Happy birthday to me- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    pedalphile
    Reputation: BontyRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    380

    Upset Happy birthday to me

    Happy birthday to me
    Happy birthday to me
    I just got a traffic ticket for allegedly rolling my fixie through a stop sign while simultaneously being passed by a pro rider like I was standing still, who was not wearing a helmet and did not get stopped, and have to pay $127 for the privilege of attending an 8 hour traffic safety class next Saturday, which is the day after my father will have flown across the country just to visit me, in order to avoid getting points on my driver's license and thus have my insurance rate skyrocket
    Happy birthday to me
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

  2. #2
    I like pie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    267
    Did you stop? If so, fight it. Or did you fight it already, and lose?

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by BontyRider
    ...I just got a traffic ticket for allegedly rolling my fixie through a stop sign while simultaneously being passed by a pro rider like I was standing still...
    As the joke goes...

    Driver: "There were three other cars going faster than I was. Why me and not them?"

    Traffic Cop: "You are the one that pulled over."

    Challenge it. Bring your fixie to court and demo that you can come to a complete stop without putting a foot down.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    pedalphile
    Reputation: BontyRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    As the joke goes...

    Driver: "There were three other cars going faster than I was. Why me and not them?"

    Traffic Cop: "You are the one that pulled over."

    Challenge it. Bring your fixie to court and demo that you can come to a complete stop without putting a foot down.
    Yes, clearly police are under no obligation to pursue every crime they witness.

    Good idea, and I am can do an ok track stand. He also got the color of the bike very wrong. I'd challenge it, but I would rather pay a hefty fine and go to 8 hours of traffic court than risk points on my driver's license which would be far costlier in the long run.

    By the way, I admit nothing. Just in case our local fuzz are reading this.

    Side note: At one point I said to the cop, who was actually a nice enough person, "I think that guy who blew past me was a professional cyclist, because his jersey, shorts, and bike frame all matched. That's why he was going so fast." (hint hint)

    "Professional cyclist? What's that?"

    "Um, someone who... rides a bicycle at a high competitive level. There are many pro riders in [my city]."

    "Like, he earns a living traveling the world riding his bike? Like Vance Armstrong?"

    sigh...
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    44
    i just got pulled over yesterday for the same thing but i was let go with a warning since my driving record is clean.

    fight it.

    john

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joe Sausagehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by BontyRider
    I have to pay $127 for the privilege of attending an 8 hour traffic safety class next Saturday, in order to avoid getting points on my driver's license and thus have my insurance rate skyrocket
    Well, maybe (just maybe) it's time to start rethinking the whole driver's license/car insurance thing altogether. I still own a car and even drive it once in awhile, but for the last year or so I've been really trying to envision life without it. And you know what? It's do-able, with a few sacrifices. I realize that most people live in cities and/or have jobs or other conditions that make living car-free impossible, but stories like yours make me all the more convinced that the automobile is the root of all evil. And that root is watered by Allstate and their ilk.
    "America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."

  7. #7
    Au'Right!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    395
    Ok here is what you do. First fight the ticket. On the off hand chance the cop doesn't show, you win. And chances are for a bicycle related ticket he won't. Second, and this goes for all bicycle commuters. DO NOT KEEP A REAL ID IN A NORMAL PLACE IF AT ALL. This is on of the reasons why a lot of new messenger bags come with hidden pockets. Second, get or make a fake ID. Something with your name and picture on it. School ID, Library card, Booster club. Whatever, just make a convincing "This is me I swear officer" ID. Also make up a fake SSN number or just be someone you don't like, just something for you to remember. Make sure your using one that is not in use (You don't want to accidentally be a drug dealer or something). Next having the "Fake wallet" helps too. Get a wallet to put the fake ID in and some business cards, a dollar, whatever. It just the show piece to make a big presentation of showing your ID that you do have on you. You are not required to have ID on you while operating a bicycle! So if you get pulled over by the fuzz you explain your just doing whatever, yada yada yada, My license is in my car, I was just taking a quick ride whereever I don't have anything on me....I think thats my ssn....Yes thats me look I go to the library here often (or whatever). Usually they just make a quick ticket for someone that doesn't exist. Once you've used one ID up using this trick...vaporize it. Start over with a new one. If you don't have ID than tell them whatever. These are things I've pulled off in my 4 years as a messenger and 10 years being a commuter. It's not right but people very rarely get killed by people on bicycles and sometimes I've felt positively victimized by the police in some areas so I've felt no recourse but to circumnavigate some legalities. Bear in mind none of this is 100% effective. It depends on your poker face, the cops mood, the lunar alignment, etc. So be forewarned this could go bad for you. It never has for me but just be careful. If your being blatant like doing a quick wheelie while going down the wrong way of a one way street(Ok I was practically begging for a ticket) it's harder. What happened to Bonty, it sounds like the cop was pretty casual so this might have gone off without a hitch. I know this post might start no end of arguments so before the angry counter point fly jusy know that the reasons behind this are 10 years experience riding some good and bad streets but in a mostly (after the first 4 years or so) proffesional and courteous manor. But sometimes you HAVE to ride one the sidewalk. Sometimes there is NO ONE at the stop sign. etc. etc. It's hard enough taking your life into your own hands everyday just so you can ride your bike around town. Oh and Shiggys suggestion is a good one, bring the bike, Judges love props.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

  8. #8
    pedalphile
    Reputation: BontyRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sausagehead
    Well, maybe (just maybe) it's time to start rethinking the whole driver's license/car insurance thing altogether. I still own a car and even drive it once in awhile, but for the last year or so I've been really trying to envision life without it. And you know what? It's do-able, with a few sacrifices. I realize that most people live in cities and/or have jobs or other conditions that make living car-free impossible, but stories like yours make me all the more convinced that the automobile is the root of all evil. And that root is watered by Allstate and their ilk.
    I agree with everything you said.

    I see rules like the ones applying points from bicycle infractions to driver's licenses as a *disincentive* to ride a bike, at least for those who own a car or expect to own a car at some point. But if you don't have a car and indeed don't have a driver's license on which to accrue points, then maybe you wouldn't care. Hmmm.
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

  9. #9
    pedalphile
    Reputation: BontyRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad_martinez
    . . . Second, get or make a fake ID. Something with your name and picture on it. School ID, Library card, Booster club. Whatever, just make a convincing "This is me I swear officer" ID. Also make up a fake SSN number or just be someone you don't like, just something for you to remember. . . .
    Interesting tactics, but I don't think lying to the police and flashing a fake ID would be a good way to start off my legal career.
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

  10. #10
    ~I Ride In Circles ~
    Reputation: ZoSoSwiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,629
    I personally don't think that Bicycle tickets should affect your driving record and insurance. I think it's a load of crap that a non motorized vehicle that can barely do the max posted speed limit in town gets the same treatment as a car or truck. This country needs to pull it's head out of it's ass. .. Seriously.. go after that guy doing 45 in a 30 instead..
    ~ it's all good ~

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by BontyRider
    Interesting tactics, but I don't think lying to the police and flashing a fake ID would be a good way to start off my legal career.
    sorry to say you lost out to over zealous cop. He should have stop the man with no helmet. I believe sometimes the fuzz go after the easy targets. Also you said that he got the color of bike wrong. Well there is a starting pt. with his eyesight. If he can not figure out what color bike you have then how could he see if you stopped or not. I do not know what is meant by legal career, but this is a pt. to consider color of bike. People who drive cars have worked the same issue. I would fight it and if you can see the Judge being a nut ask him for reduced fine and no pts. Ask for community service to teach kids about biking. I know what you are going thru once get seven speeding tickets in one yr. Some I fought and won, some I lost, so pts in my state was done differently back in the day. Now if you do something you are locked up for yrs.

  12. #12
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: aka brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,091

    I see big fines and trip to jail..

    Advise fron Sgt Brad Goodwin, Santa Cruz PD

    Quote Originally Posted by cdad_martinez
    . . . Second, get or make a fake ID. Something with your name and picture on it. School ID, Library card, Booster club. Whatever, just make a convincing "This is me I swear officer" ID. Also make up a fake SSN number or just be someone you don't like, just something for you to remember. . .
    Officer: No problem sir, your over 18 and problably have a ID or Driver's License. I just check you through DMV.

    Radio: Code 4, no ID.

    Officer: We seem to have a problem here sir, I'll have to take you to jail to confirm your ID. You know it is a misdemeanor to lie about your name to peace officer; and it's a federal offense to use a false SSN.


    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    I personally don't think that Bicycle tickets should affect your driving record and insurance. I think it's a load of crap that a non motorized vehicle that can barely do the max posted speed limit in town gets the same treatment as a car or truck. This country needs to pull it's head out of it's ass. .. Seriously.. go after that guy doing 45 in a 30 instead..
    Get your facts straight, while a bicyclist has to follow the "Rules of the Road", bicycle violations do not go on your driver's record or effect your auto insurance.


    Quote Originally Posted by BontyRider
    Interesting tactics, but I don't think lying to the police and flashing a fake ID would be a good way to start off my legal career.
    Now your thinking

    The other day we assisted CHP when the driver of a vehicle involved in a minor accident on the freeway tried to flee by speeding off an off ramp. He flipped his car and had multiple compound fractures of his femur and other bones on his left side. He was a near winner of a Darwin Award. What about you? Will your means be worth the logical extreme?

    1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 03-24-2006 at 11:50 AM.

  13. #13
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Get your facts straight, while a bicyclist has to follow the "Rules of the Road", bicycle violations do not go on your driver's record or effect your auto insurance.

    1G1G, Brad
    Actually, here in Colorado, I got a violation for running a stop sign, which showed up on my record. It was going to effect my insurance, until I sweettalked them and showed them a copy of the ticket - that clearly stated I was riding a Schwinn.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

  14. #14
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: aka brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,091

    Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't happen

    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Actually, here in Colorado, I got a violation for running a stop sign, which showed up on my record. It was going to effect my insurance, until I sweettalked them and showed them a copy of the ticket - that clearly stated I was riding a Schwinn.
    I'm just saying it's not suppose to happen

    1G1G, Brad

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.