handlebar width... seems like wide is all the rage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

handlebar width... seems like wide is all the rage

i just purchased a used SS Salsa Selma lovingly equipped with a Moots Ti straight bar from the previous owner. i'm down right now with a couple broken ribs and haven't been able to ride it but the bar seems narrow @23.5" or nearly 600 mm.

cockpit feels a little tight compared to the 660 mm bar on my rize. how do you all set up your SS 29er? most 29ers i see have a straight bar that looks to be about 660 mm. is that purely for handling or is there a leverage advantage to be had while mashing up hills?

the gear whore in me wants to order something new and wide, but the Ti is so beautiful that i can't let it go.

pics soon, i promise.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    you can definitely feel the extra leverage, when you have to stand and hammer.

i'm 5-8 and ride with a 700mm riser bar on my 29er. i run a real short stem though, to help regain some of the handling.

check out this recent thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=627337

and check this one out also: http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i cut mine down about 2 inches
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    i cut mine down about 2 inches
    of course, leverage matters more when you have hills or mountains to climb

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    of course, leverage matters more when you have hills or mountains to climb
    ha!

i prefer a slightly longer bar. I also like a longer grip so i can hold on more inboard when i feel like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, wide is nice on the climbs and the downs. I have seen that wider than 27 inches is pushing it for me, it gets harder to throw the frame back and forth when hammering. I have some 27 inch carbon lowrise sunlines that I love.

PS. you can have you cake and eat it too, Seven does custom Ti bars if you want Ti and wide.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks all. I ordered a 660mm 5 degree Salsa moto flat bar for $35. it's heavy but at least i'll be able to figure out if it works for me with less risk.

but yeah, what i *think* i want is a 700 mm Ti flat bar with about a 7 degree sweep.

we will see.

PS. 25.4 is dead... was hard to find anything that wide AND flat, especially in the smaller clamp size.

Members who have read this thread: 0