mtbr member
    Aug 2007

A half year on a single speed bike

Hi!

I used general MTB with 21 speeds for a several years. But once I got broken my rear derailleur. I hadn't another choice to make a single speed bike to get back to home.

I think that way changed my view on single speed bikes

I changed broken derailleur to a chain ruler for single speed and removed shifters. My average speed reduced on ~5 km/h but I got very simple maintenance bike. And that was great!

I ride single speed bike for a half year and I think it's very useful.

Last time I ride extreme hardtail UMF Hardy 1 Steel single speed. (a photo of me on this bike)

How did you begin to use Single Speed bicycles?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

After........

After I whacked My head real bad I wanted something to slow Me down a bit. (this ended up being a bad theory, I am now faster!) By the way, how big (popular) is singlespeed bikes in Russia?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    a speed is depends on a gear ratio. On my first signlespeed it was 22:14 (and it was slow) but now I have 36:16 (it's much faster

Singlespeeded bikes were popular in USSR because we have no other bikes except road racing bikes.
    But now singlespeeded bikes loose popularity

mtbr member
    I went to the LBS to buy a (Gasp?!)...road bike....Saw a SASS all sad in the corner...So I took her home instead, that was 2.5 years ago and also the LAST day I rode gears...Now I'm ridin dirty!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Obviously Single

Me too ...

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    I went to the LBS to buy a (Gasp?!)...road bike....Saw a SASS all sad in the corner...So I took her home instead, that was 2.5 years ago and also the LAST day I rode gears...Now I'm ridin dirty!!
    I saw Missionary have a great time on his SS, but still I resisted.

Then I moved to muds-ville (Oregon, in the winter), and I didn't want to muck up my fancy squishy bike, so I figured I'd take the plunge.

I also knew I'd stick with it (since I generally stick with things), so I got a nice SS, and I've never looked back. Now I only ride Elly (my squishy) when the SS is broken.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

just like a speeder-bike

How'd I get started w/ SS? Bought a full-susp. bike...

So I bought my almost-dream full-suspension rig: 5 inches of travel, hydro. discs, etc. I almost sold my old hardtail to a friend and am sooo glad he backed out from the deal...

• I started reading this forum, especially the "why singlespeed" posts. Found myself strangely drawn to the "how to convert your bike" faq's... (At this point, I was still secretly convinced it was sort of a trend & that y'all were a bit nuts.)
    • Got bored enough one wintery Oregon evening that I started converting my hardtail. It was incredibly satisfying to take parts / gears off the bike, leaving the bike all streamlined... Really enjoyed the conversion process, despite my many blunders along the way.
    • Rode the thing. It wasn't instant love -- it was more like "holy crap I'm clipped in to this thing, can't shift and there's a hill up ahead. What the F&*! am I gonna do..."
    • Cleared the hill despite my own predictions to the contrary. Oh the pain. But man did it feel cool.

I still ride the FS bike, but much to my surprise the "old" SS gets at least equal ride time. No plans to ever be without a SS. Thank you MTBR SS forum!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I posted a want add on the local MTB board looking for an 1 1/8" threaded fork. Someone responded that I could have one, under the condition that I took other "bike junk" from his house. I got a fixed 27" wheel and a frame "which would make a good SS conversion" (it had horizontal dropouts that were cast half-full). One night I was wrenching in the garage, with more than a few beers, and decided it should be built. Next thing you know I was filing the dropouts and on the trail. I have him to thank for my love of fixie, as well. I'd like to thank him, but he moved to NYC.

-Rob.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    I saw Missionary have a great time on his SS, but still I resisted.

Then I moved to muds-ville (Oregon, in the winter), and I didn't want to muck up my fancy squishy bike, so I figured I'd take the plunge.

I also knew I'd stick with it (since I generally stick with things), so I got a nice SS, and I've never looked back. Now I only ride Elly (my squishy) when the SS is broken.
    Ha ha ha, you were there on my first ride!!

Know what time it is??...Time to sell the Elly and buy a budget replacement for the times the SS is down!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I went to the LBS to buy a (Gasp?!)...road bike....Saw a SASS all sad in the corner...
    miSSionary, what is SASS? Is it a bike kind or a trademark?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    So I bought my almost-dream full-suspension rig: 5 inches of travel, hydro. discs, etc.
    It's interesting. I thought about FS single speed bike.
    How do you think is it useful thing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StasDavydov
    miSSionary, what is SASS? Is it a bike kind or a trademark?
    It is a steel 26" Bianchi SS...good stuff!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It is a steel 26" Bianchi SS...good stuff!!
    Yeah! Steel frame is amazing thing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StasDavydov
    Yeah! Steel frame is amazing thing!
    Yup...The SASS is chromed out too...now that bike was truly a great ride.

Nat
    mtbr member
    After blabbing on and on about what a dumb idea riding a singlespeed is, I converted a beater bike and actually tried it.

ballbuster

I never thought it was dumb, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    After blabbing on and on about what a dumb idea riding a singlespeed is, I converted a beater bike and actually tried it.
    ... I did it because I had a few friends who did it, and I wanted to be cool just like them.

Well, sorta.

I was actually *****ing on a ride about what a crappy climber I was, and somebody suggested I do an SS to get faster on the climbs... as a workout tool. I was at a busy time at work, and the only workout I could get was Boring Ass China Camp which was on my way home form work. It was easy to leave a beater SS bike (that cost me a total of about $150 to build) in the trunk of the car with my gear, go hammer it out for an hour, and be home before anybody was the wiser. An hour on the SS gave me a good workout.

A few years later, and it turns out I actually choose to ride SS. Whoda thunk?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I knew I wold try it out...........

physically, when I realized I only used a couple of gears on most of my rides anyway, and whenever I had to McGuyver my deraileur after a serious gravity check.

mentally when I recognized technology will buy you speed, but rarely does it buy you skill.

the whole less is more mentality had become apparent to me after realizing this.

one chain loop
    i saw this SS in the photo gallery. fell in love with it and decided to build one.

robcorcora's bike
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been thinking about a road bike, but live near Atl. and do not like the idea of getting squished by a car. Everyone tone in on this one, which is more benificial to mountainbiking, ss or road???

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... I did it because I had a few friends who did it, and I wanted to be cool just like them.

Well, sorta.

I was actually *****ing on a ride about what a crappy climber I was, and somebody suggested I do an SS to get faster on the climbs... as a workout tool. I was at a busy time at work, and the only workout I could get was Boring Ass China Camp which was on my way home form work. It was easy to leave a beater SS bike (that cost me a total of about $150 to build) in the trunk of the car with my gear, go hammer it out for an hour, and be home before anybody was the wiser. An hour on the SS gave me a good workout.

A few years later, and it turns out I actually choose to ride SS. Whoda thunk?
    Somebody ought to go through the archives here. I know I had at least a couple of posts saying that singlespeeding is stupid. Joke on me!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blalock
    which is more benificial to mountainbiking, ss or road???
    I'll go with SS since it is mountain biking, but road riding definitely helps too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blalock
    I've been thinking about a road bike, but live near Atl. and do not like the idea of getting squished by a car. Everyone tone in on this one, which is more benificial to mountainbiking, ss or road???
    which is more beneficial in terms of fitness and riding strength................
    easy, BOTH.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i was drawn to singlespeed from my bmx bike.
    that and i hate when i shifted and it never worked properly.

AND! its fun whoopin the yuppy roadies up hills on it...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc-ss'er
    AND! its fun whoopin the yuppy roadies up hills on it...
    Yeah right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    So I bought my almost-dream full-suspension rig: 5 inches of travel, hydro. discs, etc. I almost sold my old hardtail to a friend and am sooo glad he backed out from the deal...

• I started reading this forum, especially the "why singlespeed" posts. Found myself strangely drawn to the "how to convert your bike" faq's... (At this point, I was still secretly convinced it was sort of a trend & that y'all were a bit nuts.)
    • Got bored enough one wintery Oregon evening that I started converting my hardtail. It was incredibly satisfying to take parts / gears off the bike, leaving the bike all streamlined... Really enjoyed the conversion process, despite my many blunders along the way.
    • Rode the thing. It wasn't instant love -- it was more like "holy crap I'm clipped in to this thing, can't shift and there's a hill up ahead. What the F&*! am I gonna do..."
    • Cleared the hill despite my own predictions to the contrary. Oh the pain. But man did it feel cool.

I still ride the FS bike, but much to my surprise the "old" SS gets at least equal ride time. No plans to ever be without a SS. Thank you MTBR SS forum!
    That post reminds me of ...........me , that is how I got convinced through mtbr ss forum and I had my old bike sitting there so I converted it. The only difference with you is that I ve sold my geared bike. I just have my old ss and it feels great

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I initially built a SS because I wanted a different workout from riding a gearie. Then I wrecked my back and discovered that riding the SS was less strain, since I could pedal standing up with my back straight. Then my back got better and I went back to gears.

Then I built up a NIner RIP9 which turned out to be an almost perfect bike. That left me looking at my geard SIR9 and realizing I would never ride it with gears. So I took the gears off. Now it's a hard choice again.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Birthday Collector
    I have been interested in SS for years, but a old knee problem was making me avoid trying it. I started to get interested in 29'ers about 2 years ago, thinking it would be fun to try, but was spending money on other things (like building a custom Ransom LTD, etc...) and didn't move, until the shop got in the Raliegh XXIX. I tried it, I liked it. Decided to give the SS thing a try and 29 at the same time. Whew! Whatta workout the first few rides were - but the challenge of some of the same trails as a SS was what kept me plugging. Now it is almost all that I ride. Rode 4 times this week and all were on the XXIX. Also, funny enough, my knees are better than ever! The standing climbing seems to be a real help for some reason!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    I have been interested in SS for years, but a old knee problem was making me avoid trying it. I started to get interested in 29'ers about 2 years ago, thinking it would be fun to try, but was spending money on other things (like building a custom Ransom LTD, etc...) and didn't move, until the shop got in the Raliegh XXIX. I tried it, I liked it. Decided to give the SS thing a try and 29 at the same time. Whew! Whatta workout the first few rides were - but the challenge of some of the same trails as a SS was what kept me plugging. Now it is almost all that I ride. Rode 4 times this week and all were on the XXIX. Also, funny enough, my knees are better than ever! The standing climbing seems to be a real help for some reason!
    Once I was in US I saw Raliegh XXIX and sad about I hadn't ability to buy it. Since that time I still think about that 29er. It looks perfect, and I sure it rides perfect
    Did you see Wiki Bicycle - a bicycle encyclopedia?

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I'll go with SS since it is mountain biking, but road riding definitely helps too.

Agreed. Both are good. I find SS helps the skills for mtbing and road riding develops endurance.

Recovering couch patato
    I had found that my addiction to 12-27 cassettes was making me slower rather than faster, which it initially did. I HAD to change gear to change speeds. Up to 1500 times in a one-hour (3600secs) rac. Really. So a SS was the ideal torture tool to get some rev range in my legs. Built a Surly KM when it came out, and was instantly quick on it. The way of riding, not the exersize part worked well for me. I never rode enought to call it exersizing.
    Since, I've won SS championships and even a geary race on the SS. I'm not on it exclusively, but very much at home. The past years I've owned and ridden SS mtb's, road bikes, cross bikes. Loved them all, sold none.
    The local SS scene bakc in 2003 when I joined was tiny here in the Netherlands. 5 weeks from now we have the nationalSS, and 50 folks have put their names on the starting list. Awesome.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Spinning

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I had found that my addiction to 12-27 cassettes was making me slower rather than faster, which it initially did. I HAD to change gear to change speeds. Up to 1500 times in a one-hour (3600secs) rac. Really. So a SS was the ideal torture tool to get some rev range in my legs. Built a Surly KM when it came out, and was instantly quick on it. The way of riding, not the exersize part worked well for me. I never rode enought to call it exersizing.
    Since, I've won SS championships and even a geary race on the SS. I'm not on it exclusively, but very much at home. The past years I've owned and ridden SS mtb's, road bikes, cross bikes. Loved them all, sold none.
    The local SS scene bakc in 2003 when I joined was tiny here in the Netherlands. 5 weeks from now we have the nationalSS, and 50 folks have put their names on the starting list. Awesome.
    I'm a fast twitch guy who likes to spin on climbs, and push big gears on the flats. I started SSing to improve my "range" as well. I still race the geared bike in an age class as our SS class here is populated almost entirely by pros, but I have noticed, I shift way less, and go way faster. I'm not screwing around with my rear der all the time trying to find the sweet spot, I just hammer up the short punchy climbs without risking the wonderful chain drop while panic-dropping a ring up front, and I have no problem spinning fast in between. On the never ending climbs (which compose almost every race here in CO), the granny gear is almost entirely out of my quiver. After 4000 feet of climbing it's still nice to have....

Like most here on the SS boards, I am slowly losing my love for my Yeti. After my last race Sept 1st, it's been ridden twice while my SS probably has 15 or 20 trips on it....
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    back in the early 90's when i was just reachin adulthood (yeah,uh-huh,riiiight ),i couldn't afford even a mid level bike,so i'd buy the cheapest bike w/ a decent (read:steel other than hi tensil) frame,ride it as is till the drivetrain broke,then SS it.but i didn't really know i was SS'n,then.by late 92,i bought my 1st upper mid level bike w/ decent (for the time) components hangin on it,and forgot about SS love,till about late 02-ish.so,not wantin to break the bank w/ a 5 year old and newborn children to provide for,i regressed and bought the cheapest alluminum bike the lbs had,but purely for the purpose of SS'ing it.

soon thereafter it became my most ridden bike,so i invested in a monocog,and the rest is...well you know (history)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got started when i decided to go up to Michigan tech for school i knew they had good trails which i could not wait for. I decided instead of riding my "good" hardtail to get around i would buy a single speed so i would have less maintenance on it. I took it up to the trails and loved it i now ride both and have a hard time deciding which one at times.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Singlespeeding

For me it's real simple, no gears/shifting = more time to take in scenery. My mind is not nearly as occupied with anticipating when I should shift to keep maximum momentum.

Now it's a simple option of pedal or walk.

One Colorful Rider
    In February of 1999 I saw the 1X1 Rat Ride at the QBP Frost Bike.
    It intreaged me. I bought it people laughed and I never looked back.

Rocking the SS since 1999
    Attached Images Attached Images

is buachail foighneach me
    while working in a bike shop, and riding trials, i got really sick of breaking derailluers. so i made my sc chameleon a ss trials bike. then i bought a 1x1 rat ride for regular mtb duties and loved it. i always hated working on my own bikes, so the lack of maintenance was exactly what i was looking for. i had seen abunch of my fellow messengers getting or converting to ss mtb's when i was doing that back in philly, so it didn't seem that radical or strange to me. i think it was the end of 2007 that i ss'd the santa cruz. then early 2008 when i got the rat ride. i've now been on 29er ss for about a year and a half. so that makes 10 years of almost exclusively ss.

----woof----
    I had an old Diamondback Apex frame that was hanging in the garage and not worth investing $$ to upgrade the worn parts and an article in Bike Magazine on how to convert a geared bike into a SS got me to try SSing about 2 years ago.

Now I ride my SS almost exclusively.

Members who have read this thread: 0