half links. GOOD ones please....- Mtbr.com
    LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!

half links. GOOD ones please....

I ordered a 3/32" half link from my LBS and installed it, no problems. A couple days ago I noticed that it had gotten stiff. A little triflow made it marginally better but I ended up destroying it trying to loosen it up a little. Actually I'm glad it was destroyed in the garage instead of on the trail because it really didn't take much to break it.
    So where can one get GOOD half links or did I just horribly botch the install? These things aren't that fragile are they? Maybe I just got a faulty one
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

what brand was it?

i've broken a bunch of chains, but never where a kmc halflink was installed.

how do you 'destroy' one trying to loosen it? stick a screwdriver in there and pry the plates apart a tiny bit. shouldn't take that much to loosen it up. or just ride it....i've found they heal themselves.

Out spokin'
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22297

I haven't actually tried this one, but next time I'm going to. The ones I bought previously have the same tight link thing going as you described.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Park has some helpful tips here on fixing tight links in chains. Should apply to the half link as well, but might not fix everything. There does seem to be some difference in chain thickness between brands. IIRC it didn't fit at all on my SRAM 8spd chain but fit OK on a Shimano 8spd chain. Or was it the other way around?

Only chain failure I've ever had was this KMC halflink failing though. Pin pulled out of one side plate. Its possible that I had the pin off center and not enough of it was in the plate, but I remember it looking correct. I'll never know for sure

mtbr member
    I have a 1/8 KMC Z chain with one Shadow Conspiracy half link and a Wipperman outer link to connect the small part of the half link with the rest of my chain. Kinda hard to explain, but it works amazingly well!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The KMC 3/32" Half-links I've used have always seemed tight in 8 speed chains. What I do is use a vise and a small socket to press the side plates of the skinny part of the half link slightly closer together--as in a fraction of a millimeter. Then I file the protruding bushing down flush with the side plate. I've never had a problem with a broken half link doing this and the half link runs as smoothly as any other link on my 8 speed chains.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    I don't know what the old busted one was but I have some KMC ones on the way.

Thanks for the tips on loosening up the tight links.
    Robb

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have found on my bmx bikes when the links are stiff I can flex it back and forth sideways and it will loosen it up a bit. Never broke a chain after doing this either. Give it a try...it is free quick and super easy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Order two of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ss_T15_product

And one of these in 3/32:

Then simply use the two KMC master links to join the Gusset half link into your chain. It's easy, works seamlessly, and is very durable. The only downside is it costs a little more, but quality usually does, and I always order several at a time to save on shipping.

The KMC master links in the link above is nickel plated and very nicely made, unlike most BMX style master links. They'll also digest any half link out there while still working nicely with a multispeed chain. I highly recommend them. By the way, the Amazon vendor I listed above is about the only place I've found them available separately, and the price is great.

The Gusset half link is another quality product. The entire thing is nickel plated, unlike most half links. They also sell it already joined to a set of inner plates, the reason being they can peen the ends of the pin for extra strength. Also, unlike other half links, the Gusset is the superior bushingless design. It's vastly superior to the KMC half link.

Every 3/32 half link I tried, and I think I've tried them all, is slightly too wide to be used in a multispeed 3/32 chain. The master link I listed, however, is slightly wider than normal so they play nicely with the half link, and the slight added width isn't a problem with the narrower multispeed chains since the difference is so small.

Width of inner plates:
    SRAM 8spd - 4.25mm
    Shimano 8spd - 4.2mm
    KMC half link - 4.4mm
    Gusset half link - 4.35mm

EDIT: Make sure the flat side of the Gusset half link faces away from the teeth.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 05-20-2010 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Order two of these:

Then simply use the two KMC master links to join the Gusset half link into your chain. It's easy, works seamlessly, and is very durable. The only downside is it costs a little more, but quality usually does, and I always order several at a time to save on shipping.

The KMC master links in the link above is nickel plated and very nicely made, unlike most BMX style master links. They'll also digest any half link out there while still working nicely with a multispeed chain. I highly recommend them. By the way, the Amazon vendor I listed above is about the only place I've found them available separately, and the price is great.

The Gusset half link is another quality product. The entire thing is nickel plated, unlike most half links. They also sell it already joined to a set of inner plates, the reason being they can peen the ends of the pin for extra strength. Also, unlike other half links, the Gusset is the superior bushingless design. It's vastly superior to the KMC half link.

Every 3/32 half link I tried, and I think I've tried them all, is slightly too wide to be used in a multispeed 3/32 chain. The master link I listed, however, is slightly wider than normal so they play nicely with the half link, and the slight added width isn't a problem with the narrower multispeed chains since the difference is so small.

Width of inner plates:
    SRAM 8spd - 4.25mm
    Shimano 8spd - 4.2mm
    KMC half link - 4.4mm
    I don't even need a half-link anymore but that sounds good enough that I'll go for it just to bring my wheel in closer on my track ends. thanks

Out spokin'
    bad mechanic, you're awesome. Thanks for doing the research.

--Sparty

P.S. Consider changing your handle to "awesome mechanic"?
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Thanks for doing the research.

Meh. I only did it because I wanted to know.

"bad mechanic" is much easier to live up. Low expectations are a good thing.

Category Winner

I haven't actually tried this one, but next time I'm going to. The ones I bought previously have the same tight link thing going as you described.

--Sparty

That is a find. Very nice.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    bad mechanic, you're awesome. Thanks for doing the research.

--Sparty

Yep, he posted the same two links in a thread a few months ago. I took his advice and ordered up a few of each and so far they have worked peferctly.

The first time I installed the master links I put them on so the clip was on the outside because of slighly easier access. But they ended up rubbing on my bash guard so I had to flip them around. They look better that way anyway.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Order two of these:

Width of inner plates:
    SRAM 8spd - 4.25mm
    Shimano 8spd - 4.2mm
    KMC half link - 4.4mm

EDIT: Make sure the flat side of the Gusset half link faces away from the teeth.
    ^^^
    This.
    Is pretty damn awesome! Thanks. I'm going to give that a try even though I just got a couple KMC half links today. Thanks for the info
    Robb

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    Yep, he posted the same two links in a thread a few months ago. I took his advice and ordered up a few of each and so far they have worked peferctly.

The first time I installed the master links I put them on so the clip was on the outside because of slighly easier access. But they ended up rubbing on my bash guard so I had to flip them around. They look better that way anyway.
    Today I ordered 4 of the Gusset half links and 8 of the master links. With shipping what it is, I thought I'd get extras since I'm sure some of my riding buddies will want the same setup (based on what everybody here says).

I will hook them up and look like the hero.

Thanks again, bad mech.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    just got my half link parts in today (along with some other exciting lovin' for my bike). I'll get it set up this weekend and report back. It isn't necessary for my setup but my wheel is out towards the back end of my track ends and I'd like to bring it back in

Out spokin'

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    just got my half link parts in today (along with some other exciting lovin' for my bike). I'll get it set up this weekend and report back. It isn't necessary for my setup but my wheel is out towards the back end of my track ends and I'd like to bring it back in
    I got mine this week, too. Haven't installed 'em yet, but the quality looks like it's in there.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Please be sure to use a good quality grease on the pins when installing the master links.

mtbr member
    get a 1/8" bmx chain and a Superstar half-link made by Wipperman. combine that with a kmc z510hx "dropbuster" chain and you will have a bulletproof but not overbuilt chain.

a lot of bmx companies make chains entirely have half-links, but most bmx riders know that they stretch out very fast. the side plates have two right angles in them that stretch out quickly, leaving the chain squishy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    get a 1/8" bmx chain and a Superstar half-link made by Wipperman. combine that with a kmc z510hx "dropbuster" chain and you will have a bulletproof but not overbuilt chain.
    There's not much point in using a 1/8" chain on a single speed. From the Surly website:

1/2x1/8" chains vs. 1/2x3/32" chains. 1/2x1/8" chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn't better here. Yeah, they're wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they're not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32" chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2x1/8 " chain will last longer, but most of us don't and it won't.

mtbr member
    There's not much point in using a 1/8" chain on a single speed.
    i see the point there, but if you want a strong, reliable half-link in your chain, Wipperman is the way to go. perhaps they make a 3/32" version? that half-link i posted only seems to come in 1/8".

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    i see the point there, but if you want a strong, reliable half-link in your chain, Wipperman is the way to go. perhaps they make a 3/32" version? that half-link i posted only seems to come in 1/8".
    Sorry, but I still disagree.
    - I'm almost positive the Wipperman doesn't come in 3/32".
    - Wipperman still uses an old bushing design, while the Gusset uses a modern bushingless design.
    - The Gusset is nickel plated, while the Wipperman is not.

Members who have read this thread: 0