half links- Mtbr.com

Thread: half links

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

half links

Riding my SS last weekend someone notice the chain tentioner on my bike and said that i wouldn't need it if I worked with half links. I hadn't herd of or know much about them but they sound like a better option than a tentioner. but I cant seem to find any thing about them will some one tell me more a bout them and how they work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the help

Welcome to the Gem...
    not true...

you need a tensioner. as you ride the bike, the chain is going to stretch a bit here and there. having a half link will help you get the proper fit from the get go, but once it starts to loosen up, you're in the same boat you were at before. you need something to keep the chain taught as it stretches and loosens.

ideally, horizontal drop outs seems to be the preferred choice for this kind of tensioning. EBBs are nice, but they can be problematic. if you have vertical dropouts and no EBB, a run of the mill chain tensioner is going to be your only option, period.

hope that helped...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It can't stretch forever. I have vertical dropouts and halflink chain and no tensioner. I started with 32x17 and the chain was perfect. It stretched and now I removed a link and changed to 32x16, which is good for my riding. Still no tensioner. I doubt it will strech much more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    depends how sloppy and loose you want your chain hanging....

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlackout
    It can't stretch forever. I have vertical dropouts and halflink chain and no tensioner. I started with 32x17 and the chain was perfect. It stretched and now I removed a link and changed to 32x16, which is good for my riding. Still no tensioner. I doubt it will strech much more.
    If its stretched that much then you're just asking for the family jewels to meet Mr. Stem, especially on a SS.
    It wont happen while spinning around on a flat. It'll happen when you're mashing up the steepest part of a tough climb and about to give it that last huge effort when POP!! SPLUIT!!! AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! UUUGGGgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

The last thing you'll hear before blacking out it laughter from your buds

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You're saying it will snap?
    This? I didn't expect that it would.

Welcome to the Gem...
    i've heard nothing but bad things about those half link chains. at first i was super interested... did some research, and based on that, i'd say stay away.
    Ibis Tranny 29

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    What I said is that if you ride it to long, it can snap.
    Any chain can and will snap, sure, especially if its run too long.

I have the shadow conspiracy half link chain on my dirt jump SS without issue but I expect it to wear out at some point and have to be replaced.

Mallanaga, what did you find with your research? More detail please...

Welcome to the Gem...
    to go and find it all again would be pointless. i kept reading about people snapping the plates. not just the pins wearing to nothingness, but the plates snapping.

maybe they've fixed it, but with the plates bent as they are, there's just too much room for deformation... fatigue... all that jazz. i'll stick with the old fashioned stuff... or go with those new pulley looking things.
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moore
    What I said is that if you ride it to long, it can snap.
    Any chain can and will snap, sure, especially if its run too long.

I have the shadow conspiracy half link chain on my dirt jump SS without issue but I expect it to wear out at some point and have to be replaced.

Mallanaga, what did you find with your research? More detail please...
    Ok, I'll keep the cahin on in the name of ss-science The chain is pretty new it stretched that much within a few rides. It still seems like a strong chain.

mtbr member
    I am converting a vertical drop bike to SS. The halflink looks promising but there is something that is really bugging me; adding 1/2 inch to that one link. I can't picture it in my mind right now, and can't wait another hour to go look, but is there enough slop in a chain to allow 1/2 inch extra for that one link and still have the gears mesh up correctly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine
    I am converting a vertical drop bike to SS. The halflink looks promising but there is something that is really bugging me; adding 1/2 inch to that one link. I can't picture it in my mind right now, and can't wait another hour to go look, but is there enough slop in a chain to allow 1/2 inch extra for that one link and still have the gears mesh up correctly?
    Thats not how they work.

Here is a picture of a normal chain. Notice the pattern of alternating narrow plates and wide plates. The smallest amount you can shorten the chain is removing both an inner and outer link

Here is a half link. It is narrow on one end, wide on the other. This allows it to replace both the inner and outer link that you removed with one link that is half as long. The pins are still the exact same distance apart so it meshes with the cogs perfectly

mtbr member
    Yes, I understand that the chain is either 1/2" shorter or longer and that the pins line up the same. What I don't understand is that now when the gear teeth come around to that spot in the chain, they will be lining up on an 'inner' and you are off 1/2" . What am I missing here?

mtbr member
    Yes, I understand that the chain is either 1/2" shorter or longer and that the pins line up the same. What I don't understand is that now when the gear teeth come around to that spot in the chain, they will be lining up on an 'inner' and you are off 1/2" . What am I missing here?
    It doesn't matter whether they line up to an inner or an outer. The teeth are all the same width and they primarily touch the rollers on the chain pins anyway. The narrower inner links do help the chain stay centered, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything if the next narrow link is 1 closer

mtbr member
    Geez...sorry...that's what I couldn't picture (even with your picture). I entirely forgot that the inners also have a 'tooth slot'. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Geez...sorry...that's what I couldn't picture (even with your picture). I entirely forgot that the inners also have a 'tooth slot'. Thanks.
    Glad to help. Hope i didn't come across condescending.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    half-links break. no, really...they do, and yours will.

keep the tensioner, get an eno hub, or an SS frame. i chose the middle option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

half link chains

I'm a fan of the ENO hub, but if you need to get a better chain length without a SS frame or ENO hub. Try the Formco Half-link chain.

those are Rollercams...
    I've been running the Shadow Interlock chain for the past few months with no problem. I'm no lightweight and no one has ever accused me of being a smooth rider. That said, I'm still undecided as to whether or not the half-link is a better option that the cheaper, simpler and virtually indestructable standard KMC.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Sweep the leg!
    Half links come with longer pins than other chains. Breaking one at the half link is greatly exaggerated.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I shimmed my vertical dropouts to achieve a good chain tension (like 1 mm chain slack), and it worked good until I hit the steep climb. My steel frame must be flexing (actually I can see the line between downtube, BB shell, and chain stay all flex when I stump on the pedal), and the chain keeps dropping. I figured that maintaining the perfect chain length on vertical dropout will be a losing battle, so I went back to a tensioner. No more dropping the chain. It'll also compensates to the chain stretch too. While it doesn't look clean, it eliminated the needless headaches and frustrations. As I'm in no position to buy a new ss specific frame any time soon, the tensioner is just fine by me. If I really hate it, then I have to buy an ss-specific frame. I'd rather be riding than fiddling with it forever...

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    my half link works fine (semi horizontal forward dropouts) but it is a bit taller than my sram chain (meant for 8 speed) so the chain is a bit tighter when the half link comes around

mtbr member
    if you have horizontal dropouts, and run a half-link what tension do i need
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Is anyone using 1/8" BMX half-link ? This is a little project I'm working on and would like some input. I just purchased a KHE half link hollow pin. Going to run a 32/16 hardtail (street riding).

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    i've heard nothing but bad things about those half link chains. at first i was super interested... did some research, and based on that, i'd say stay away.
    I have done about a year of first-hand research and can say that you have nothing to worry about. I'm running a tight 23/12 on my dirt jumper, and need to be able to keep the chain as tight and slammed in the dropouts as possible, and this is the only tool for the job. They are also less prone to stretching than traditional chains. The BMX crew runs them no questions asked. I've seen one broken, after two years of use, with a bigger guy laying down lots of torque in the roll-in. I'd put one on my 2-9 if the chainstays were shorter...
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6
    if you have horizontal dropouts, and run a half-link what tension do i need
    I don't have horizontal dropouts, and I don't run a half link. But even if I did, then how would that affect what you need?

Members who have read this thread: 0